Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Athlete of Decade

ixcuincle

Who are the athletes of decade, the ones you will remember the most when you think of the years between 2000 and 2009?

MLB

For me it's difficult to select a MLB player of decade. The decade was marred by steroid use and it's difficult to select one athlete that stood out throughout the decade.

NBA

Kobe Bryant - won repeated championships and put up 81 , got MVP, dominated NBA the whole decade

NFL

Leaning towards a Patroit here, Brady or Manning might be the NFL'er of decade. Close call. I think Brady gets the nod over Manning though. Remember how everyone harped on Manning before 2006? Can't win the big one. Brady consistently kicked ass from inception to end of decade. I think he is probably the most consistent, and best athlete of the decade.

NHL

Martin Brodeur was unquestionably the best goalie from start to finish of decade. Won multiple Vezinas and four cups.

Other

Regardless of recent news Tiger will always be remembered as one of the most dominant sporting figures of this decade. He won multiple majors, won a damn US Open on one leg...unquestionably the best golfer of decade.

An argument could be made for Federer too but that French kid whose name I forget right now keeps beating him lol

What's your list

MLB:

Albert Pujols

Barry Bonds

Alex Rodriguez

Derek Jeter

Johan Santana

Mariano Rivera

Ichiro

Curt Schilling

Roy Halladay

Manny Ramiriez

NFL:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Brett Favre

LaDanian Tomlinson

Shaun Alexander

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Ray Lewis

Chad Johnson/Ochocinco

Marvin Harrison

NBA:

Kobe Bryant

Shaquille O'Neal

Tim Duncan

Steve Nash

Dirk Nowitizki

LeBron James

Kevin Garnett

Dwyane Wade

Chauncey Billups

Allen Iverson

MLB:

I have to say Pujols. He and A-Rod each put up ridiculous stats and each got one ring, but Pujols was more effective in the playoffs and was unquestionably the best player on his championship team.

NFL:

Peyton Manning (Brady has 3 rings, but Manning still has 1, multiple MVPs, played each year of the decade, and was the face of a team that won 12 games each year consecutively for over half of a decade)

NHL:

Uh, I gotta be honest and say that until the Caps got good again a few years back I hadn't followed hockey for about 10 years

NBA:

Kobe, but couldn't you make a case for Tim Duncan? Not flashy, but has been one of the greatest NBA power forwards of all time and the unquestioned anchor of a team who won 3 championships in the decade and was arguably better than the Lakers over the course of the decade.

I think MMA should be mentioned as it has become such a huge sport. So Forrest Griffin and Tito Ortiz should be mentioned for sure.

MMA should be mentioned, but i dont see how those two fighters fit into the equation as best of the decade. Fedor & Big Nog would be my first couple of names that came to mind when i think who has been consistently great this past decade

boxing is either Floyd or Manny (Floyd dominated the early portion of the decade against the best in the world at 130, Pacman is dominating the last 3 or 4 years against top comp)

MMA should be mentioned, but i dont see how those two fighters fit into the equation as best of the decade. Fedor & Big Nog would be my first couple of names that came to mind when i think who has been consistently great this past decade

boxing is either Floyd or Manny (Floyd dominated the early portion of the decade against the best in the world at 130, Pacman is dominating the last 3 or 4 years against top comp)

I say that more from a marketing standpoint. Yes, Fedor is the most dominant. So as far as the thread is concerned, he would take the cake.

But as far as bringing new audiences to the sport, Griffin being on Ultimate Fighter brought a whole new crowd and really helped expand the sport.

Oh yeah, let me add Anderson Silva to that as being a dominant fighter.

MLB

Not even close. Pujols. He's clutch, he's not a cheater, he has matched A-Rod's stats except he is a much better pure hitter. He has a Gold Glove. He's a monster.

NBA

Kobe over Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

NFL

The Big 3 are LT, Brady and Manning...honorable mentions to Gonzalez and Harrison. Though Brady has 3 rings, he is partly the product of an amazing system and a team that actually has a defense that performed in the playoffs. Manning has amassed absolutely absurd numbers and so efficiently. Look at the Colts, new coach, new RB, new WR's, still Peyton, still a dominant team. Without Brady, the Patriots went 11-5 and by some insanely bad luck missed the playoffs. What do you think the Colts record minus Peyton would be? Not good. He's about to win his 4th MVP, which would be a record though Favre doesn't deserve 3 cause sorry, he didn't come close to matching Barry's 2,000 yard season back in 1997, that was a travesty that they shared it. All three are first ballot HOF'rs.

NHL

Brodeur or Lidstrom. No question.

Other

Tiger and Federer. Jimmie Johnson.

I say that more from a marketing standpoint. Yes, Fedor is the most dominant. So as far as the thread is concerned, he would take the cake.

But as far as bringing new audiences to the sport, Griffin being on Ultimate Fighter brought a whole new crowd and really helped expand the sport.

I think that as far as MMA goes, it would have to be Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell. Just because they are the two fighters responsible for MMA breaking through to the mainstream this decade.

Generally speaking for athletes I'd think of in this generation are:

Tiger Woods

Lebron James

Peyton Manning

Barry Bonds/A-Rod for all the wrong reasons

I think that as far as MMA goes, it would have to be Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell. Just because they are the two fighters responsible for MMA breaking through to the mainstream this decade.

Generally speaking for athletes I'd think of in this generation are:

Tiger Woods

Lebron James

Peyton Manning

Barry Bonds/A-Rod for all the wrong reasons

Curious as to why you have LeBron over Kobe.

from a marketing standpoint you are absolutely right. when i made my selection, i was solely focused on the best fighter.

I'll preface this by saying that while I golf occasionally I also don't consider it a 'real' sport in the true sense of the word. With that said, it's technically still a sport and no person has dominated sports the last 10 years more than Tiger Woods. It's not even close actually.

Archived