Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dodging a draft bullet

Burgold

I think the comment of dodging a bullet assumes that the media was right that we were heavily interested in trading up for Sanchez. Personally, I never believed that. I think we were interested, but we were interested in a lot of players. If Sanchez had dropped, the team might have been interested in drafting him, but I think that was true for a few players. I do think the Redskins were using the media to their benefit to a certain extent to get teams to trade up and force someone else down, since it looked like most of the players we were interested in were going to go before us. It is fortunate that Orakpo did drop to us.

As for Sanchez, his performance was not unexpected. He's playing like a rookie now. It also seems like he's not getting the protection from the coaching staff that he should. Rookies should be put into positions where they aren't shouldering the whole load and where they can succeed. I'm not sure that is happening in New York.

Sanchez plays behind one of the best offensive lines in football. Playing with a defense that makes the Redskins defense look like pee-wee football players.

Yet, he still hasn't shown ANYTHING since week 3.

Sanchez has bust written all over him. He still has another year or two though... I like the kid in Detroit a lot better. He's actually shown flashes.

I'm thrilled right now that we didn't get Cutler or Sanchez, Campbell is obviously better than both of those guys right now. Not to mention we would have not been able to select Orakpo and probably would have lost another pick as well as Campbell.

I think a key problem with having Sanchez here is more obvious than all of that, and at least up to your post no one had mentioned it.

A lame duck coach who has been kind of shown to suck at play calling (see offensive success since he was replaced, and all the people including myself blaming him for it up to that point) would have messed up Sanchez and given him an unstable situation to start his NFL career.

Not a good way to develop a QB, but the de facto "Skins way" I guess.

I strongly disagree. Cutler just makes horrible decisions, and has thrown several Red Zone picks.

A player as careless as that behind our o-line would be disaster....

Not only that, but Cutler would have our locker room divided more than likely.

Cutler is a total head case.

As many have said... Jeff George part deux. It's no wonder why Dan would be enamored with him.

Man, thank God we didn't make that trade. We might have had only 3 wins so far.

:)

We'd probably have less...

To go along with no Orakpo, no Campbell, and no first or third round pick this coming draft.

Yea. I'm glad we didnt pull that trigger. You should be too :cool2:

To go along with no Orakpo, no Campbell, and no first or third round pick this coming draft.

Vinny really tried... If Jim Drunkenmiller was trying for a comeback, Vinny might try to sign him as well just to prove he got it right in San Fran... <sarcasm>:doh: Vinny is our GM?

Cutler is a total head case.

As many have said... Jeff George part deux. It's no wonder why Dan would be enamored with him.

SO, is Campbell our new Brad JOhnson?

Brad ended up winning a Super Bowl...

I'm back on the JC bandwagon... he gives us a better chance than anyone named Colt or Jimmy.

Exactly the reason I didn't want him.

Ok? I don't get it.

Sanchez is struggling a bit, he is making rookie mistakes with only a little playing experience, mistakes JC makes in his 5th year.

Sanchez has thrown 11 TDs already with next to nothing on offense to help him, last year JC threw for 13 all year and 12 the year before that.

I will give you the 17 INTs that Sanchez has thrown but a lot of it is inexperience...regardless tho he has led his team with a new head coach and no real playmakers to a 6-6 record, while we are 3-9.

Only thing I'm saying is Sanchez with only one year of college and 12 NFL games under his belt is almost up to where JC is playing.

I'm back on the JC bandwagon... he gives us a better chance than anyone named Colt or Jimmy.

How about Sam?

I'm not against bringing JC back if he is our best option and I'd rather take a stud tackle over a less highly rated QB but if Sam Bradford falls to our pick I dont think he will fall any further.

I am very glad we didn't get Cutler, but to say we would have had less?

In our 3 wins, JC has thrown 3 TDs and 3 INTs, one win 9-7, 3 FGs...JC hardly had big parts on those victories.

That is probably an apt comparison, in that Brad also needed a decent supporting cast to succeed. He wasn't a guy who could carry the team.

The Redskins aren't a team that needs to be carried by a QB either.

We do need better OL play though. We've gotten it these last few weeks - along with better playcalling - and the results have been obvious.

Sidebar, I haven't been on the board much recently, but did anyone catch JC on 106.7 Monday? He was asked about the improved offensive play, and eventually (I don't think he wanted to say a whole lot) said that there is a lot more motion and a lot more attempts in the plays they're running now to confuse the defense. He said that the calls are keeping defenses guessing. Kind of telling.

Ok? I don't get it.

Sanchez has thrown 11 TDs already with next to nothing on offense to help him, last year JC threw for 13 all year and 12 the year before that.

I will give you the 17 INTs that Sanchez has thrown but a lot of it is inexperience...regardless tho he has led his team with a new head coach and no real playmakers to a 6-6 record, while we are 3-9.

Next to nothing on offense?

You realize the Jet's offense, as a whole, is much better than the Redskins right?

His offensive line, like I said, is one of the best in football.

His runningback is fresh off a pro-bowl, and already has 1,000+ yards this season.

His defense is one of the best in football.

He's got two very good starting receivers in Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery. He's got an outstanding talent in tight end Dustin Keller.

New York has put everything around him to see him succeed. His only excuse is that he is a rookie, and that is a legit excuse.

Interesting arguments on both sides.

But lets say that the FO does not resign Jason next year, and as some suggest, they draft a qb to be a starter.

Are we going to have a better offense next year with this rookie QB?

Or would we have had a better offense with Sanchez in his second year?

How about Sam?

I'm not against bringing JC back if he is our best option and I'd rather take a stud tackle over a less highly rated QB but if Sam Bradford falls to our pick I dont think he will fall any further.

I'm not sold on Sam right now, but he does seem promising... When he fully revoers from his surgery, I'd like to see how he throws it, or at least hear the experts' opinion of it...

I agree with you about taking a stud tackle... I just worry about taking another first round QB only to find out 5 years later he is a bust. I think Campbell is adequate enough to start for us. He had a great game Sunday, even though it was against back-up DBs... Campbell could at least be a stop gap, and who knows... a THIRD year in the same system would be a first for him (if Zorn stays)

It's funny, nothing has really changed, except for our offensive line getting older and more injured and people are still calling for us to draft a QB with our upcoming 1st pick.

Agreed. We've had several offseasons to address the o-line since Gibbs left after leaving us a playoff team to build on...

That is probably an apt comparison, in that Brad also needed a decent supporting cast to succeed. He wasn't a guy who could carry the team.

The Redskins aren't a team that needs to be carried by a QB either.

We do need better OL play though. We've gotten it these last few weeks - along with better playcalling - and the results have been obvious.

Sidebar, I haven't been on the board much recently, but did anyone catch JC on 106.7 Monday? He was asked about the improved offensive play, and eventually (I don't think he wanted to say a whole lot) said that there is a lot more motion and a lot more attempts in the plays they're running now to confuse the defense. He said that the calls are keeping defenses guessing. Kind of telling.

I would not be against Jason coming back... We had a decent QB in Brad Johnson. Just think, if we had never gotten Jeff George, Marty would have come in and had Brad Johnson running his offense... might have been better results... see how signing ONE back-up QB to a huge contract can wreck a franchise?

Interesting tidbit on JC and the "improved offense". I think the motions are confusing defenses AND I think it gives Zorn a chance to make sure the players are executing better... obviously both are being accomplished.

Trading up would've been disastrous. I really hope the team wasn't seriously considering trading up. I do think they would've drafted Sanchez if he had fallen to us. (though not trading down in that situation would be idiotic)

You are assuming Sanchez would be starting for us immediately. Even if Campbell demanded a trade we'd have been starting Collins most likely.

Next to nothing on offense?

You realize the Jet's offense, as a whole, is much better than the Redskins right?

His offensive line, like I said, is one of the best in football.

His runningback is fresh off a pro-bowl, and already has 1,000+ yards this season.

This is all true, which is why the Jets are 6-6 and not far worse.

But they obviously traded for Braylon Edwards because they had no threat at WR.

Interesting tidbit on JC and the "improved offense". I think the motions are confusing defenses AND I think it gives Zorn a chance to make sure the players are executing better... obviously both are being accomplished.

I think the implication by his comments are that Sherm Lewis has installed a lot more key ingredients into the offense that it was sorely lacking.

That is how I interpreted his words - and his hesitation to just come out with it when asked.

You bring up a good point. If we were as bad as we are now, AND had an underperforming rookie QB (at least in the fans eyes), AND were without top draft picks with which to rebuild, it would be 5 times uglier than it's been already this year.

Amen to that.

I believe the Cutler and Orton deals show that this is a team game, and, although a QB is the most important player on offense, he is not the only player. Too many people on this board stated time and again that dropping Cutler onto any football team created an instant winner. His results in Chicago show that this is not the case. An offense is more than the sum of its separate parts. You have to have WR's that know their routes. You have to have OL that give the QB time to throw and create holes for a running game. You have to have play-calling that keeps the D guessing. You have to have a team. It's not just a QB and 10 other guys.

But just plunking in a QB into a poor team will not create a good team. It just makes everybody think you're a bust. That's what happened with Cutler. He's still a good QB. It's just hard to see. But I bet he wishes he was in Denver.

Archived