Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dodging a draft bullet

Burgold

Imagine if we had worked a deal to get Mark Sanchez. With this o-line, a rookie qb, and lead squandering defense we'd most likely be enduring the same type of season, but we would have lost out on Orakpo who looks to become a very good player and a top five draft choice. I'm pretty sure that moving up to get Sanchez would have cost us our this year and next year's No. 1. Sometimes, not making the move is the right move.

What is it they say about blind squirrels?

Imagine if we had worked a deal to get Mark Sanchez. With this o-line, a rookie qb, and lead squandering defense we'd most likely be enduring the same type of season, but we would have lost out on Orakpo who looks to become a very good player and a top five draft choice. I'm pretty sure that moving up to get Sanchez would have cost us our this year and next year's No. 1. Sometimes, not making the move is the right move.

What is it they say about blind squirrels?

This and not winning the Cutler auction - based on his showing this year in Chicago we dodged another bullet there.

I'm pretty sure that moving up to get Sanchez would have cost us our this year and next year's No. 1. Sometimes, not making the move is the right move.

Are you serious? All it took the Jets was their first and second round picks of that draft plus three crap players (Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam). Coleman was the only starter. The others were backups. They gave up a pittance to get Sanchez. Plus, they were at 17. We were at 13. They had to move up an extra 4 slots and still hardly gave up anything.

Are you serious? All it took the Jets was their first and second round picks of that draft plus three crap players (Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam). Coleman was the only starter. The others were backups. They gave up a pittance to get Sanchez. Plus, they were at 17. We were at 13. They had to move up an extra 4 slots and still hardly gave up anything.

that's because the jets org had to do dealings with "Mangina".... FORMER NYJ head coach... think about it...

It would have cost us more. When have we not sold the farm, plus had to buy another farm and sold it as well? We always pay the highest of draft premiums.

Yeah for some odd reason we always seem to get fleeced when it comes to signing/trading people . . . I wonder if it has anything to do with Vinny and Dan's negotiating tactics . . .

The problem is, they make it WELL-KNOWN when we want someone . . . and in doing so, we lose the leverage we had.

So although conventional wisdom would want to compare what the Jets gave up for him, that unfortunately doesn't apply to us.

Sanchez plays behind one of the best offensive lines in football. Playing with a defense that makes the Redskins defense look like pee-wee football players.

Yet, he still hasn't shown ANYTHING since week 3.

Sanchez has bust written all over him. He still has another year or two though... I like the kid in Detroit a lot better. He's actually shown flashes.

I'm thrilled right now that we didn't get Cutler or Sanchez, Campbell is obviously better than both of those guys right now. Not to mention we would have not been able to select Orakpo and probably would have lost another pick as well as Campbell.

You know, GP, I'm really happy with the selection of Orakpo. After ten years of not investing in the lines... we finally did and we got a winner. Losing out on a talented pass rusher and a top five pick for a guy that would have got his head handed to him and become another shell-shocked Ramsey just seems like a good deal to me.

I do think we dodged a bullet by missing on Cutler and Sanchez. Cutler has been downright awful. Very surprising. I don't care how bad your weapons are, throwing like 6 picks in a game is ridiculous (or 5, whatever).

Sanchez I think will be fine, and I wanted to get him, but Orakpo has been great and we are in position to find a QB this year with a top 7 pick. I do agree that had we gotten one of them, we would've probably given up this year's 1st rounder to do it.

that's because the jets org had to do dealings with "Mangina".... FORMER NYJ head coach... think about it...

I agree with honejc to some degree. Mangini had coached those players and probably had a rapport with them, so he had no problem bringing them in.

Frankly, I think Cleveland could have asked for more, and they wound up doing another trade with Tampa Bay. Instead of Sanchez, Cleveland wound up with 3 players (Coleman, Ratliff, Elam) and 4 draft picks in the first 2 rounds, which they used to take Alex Mack, Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi, and David Veikune.

Now I remember a lot of people here pining for Alex Mack as our center of the future. I think they overdrafted the other 3, but it is Cleveland we're talking about. Who knows yet who came ahead in all those deals.

IDK, i still think Cutler is a very good QB. He just has no WR's. I think him with our guys may have worked out well.

I strongly disagree. Cutler just makes horrible decisions, and has thrown several Red Zone picks.

A player as careless as that behind our o-line would be disaster....

Not only that, but Cutler would have our locker room divided more than likely.

IDK, i still think Cutler is a very good QB. He just has no WR's. I think him with our guys may have worked out well.

To be fair he needs another year in Chicago at least before he can be labelled a blown trade but I have watched him twice this year and he has been BAD.

Not just that his attitude stinks. He has really, really bad habit of pissing and moaning at receivers when he overthrows them by about 5 yards.

I think he is heading for being the Jeff George of this decade.

Cutler is in a funk, I think he'll be fine although I am glad we didn't get him. He is a drunk IMO and needs his attitude checked...but I think he will get it together.

Sanchez, you guys are trippin. The guy is a rookie who only played 1 season at USC.

I'm very happy with Orakpo and I think he will be a stud, but don't sell Sanchez short.

The Jets don't have many playmakers on offense to help him, they have a rookie head coach and he is a rookie QB and yet, they aren't doing that bad.

Sanchez is the franchise QB and will be for a long time to come, that is MUCH harder to find that stud DEs. Give the guy more than one season.

That said, I LOVE Orakpo, but if we had to do it over again and we could get Sanchez for a decent price, I wouldn't pass on that.

Man, the crap some people say would make the baby jeebus cry.

Look at it this way, we "looked" at Cutler but then DIDN'T overpay and get fleeced, doesn't that fly in the face of "what we always do"? Same thing draft day, we "looked" at Sanchez but passed when the time came to up the ante and beat out the Jest, isn't that again 180 degrees from what "we always do""?

We looked at Cutler, didn't like the price and passed, no matter how many dumbass scenarios about just missing the boat, etc, people want to float.

For all the talk before the draft it sure appears that the Jets reached, Cleveland got underpaid and we got Orakpo, in distinct contrast to all the expert opinions beforehand we ended up being the winners there.

Mortgaging future drafts for either one would have been just dumb, dumber than the tin-foil hat crowd's comments on this board, and voila! we didn't do that so it seems like the right moves were made even if some dismiss them as mere luck.

Man, the crap some people say would make the baby jeebus cry.

Look at it this way, we "looked" at Cutler but then DIDN'T overpay and get fleeced, doesn't that fly in the face of "what we always do"? Same thing draft day, we "looked" at Sanchez but passed when the time came to up the ante and beat out the Jest, isn't that again 180 degrees from what "we always do""?

We looked at Cutler, didn't like the price and passed, no matter how many dumbass scenarios about just missing the boat, etc, people want to float.

You don't know if we passed or got passed over....

Archived