Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Rick Snider: Another shot for Zorn?

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Another-shot-for-Zorn_-8637880-78737457.html

Another shot for Zorn?

By: Rick Snider

Examiner Sports Columnist

December 8, 2009

Maybe the Washington Redskins shouldn't be so quick to dismiss coach Jim Zorn at season's end.

The true value of a coach is leadership. Oh, he needs to be a motivator, consensus builder, talent evaluator, good listener -- everything any good boss should be -- but there's more to football than Xs and Os.

The bottom line on head coaches is motivating millionaires to work hard. The hardest part of all is getting a 2-6 team to finish the season in style.

Washington is finishing the waning weeks of a wasted season in style. Maybe they're not winning, but the Redskins are entertaining. The 33-30 overtime loss to undefeated New Orleans on Sunday was the season's best game. No way Washington should have won a shootout against the NFL's best team, but only the bad karma that continues to dog the franchise prevented a Redskins victory.

Click the link to read the full article...

I think keeping Zorn is worth considering. But I think the one who should be doing the considering is our brand new uninfluenced general manager.

I agree, the problems with the team were BZ and will be here AZ. Fire Vinny, keep Zorn, dump Zorn that part matters less. I would like to see what the guy could do leaving Sherm in place and having a real GM making roster calls.

The team has lost 15 out of the last 20 with him. OK, now that he has been removed as the play caller, the team has started to score, and looks very Norv Turnish with playing teams close and choking at the end.

Zorn seems like a nice guy, very classy. But if he's not good at calling plays, clock managment, timeouts -- by his own admission he doesn't believe in pep talks and believes players need to be their own self motivators so he doesn't appear to be a Ditka motivator type, or an erudite play caller like Bill Walsh was, or shrewed with the play clock like lets say a Belichick usually is -- what's left? A nice guy who players like and perhaps don't like to let down, not enough to win but put up a good fight and he is a good QB coach.

We also know he doesn't run a rigiourous training camp according to Peter King who watched theirs and others this summer, many of the Redskins players concurred that it was a light camp and both Jaws and Gannon critqued how they practice during the season.

To each their own, but as much as I respect Zorn personally and hate how Cerrato has treated him. I almost cringe watching him on the sidelines, sometimes thinking geez he's our coach. And my vibe about him is similar to what Thom Loverro said from the WT, players like him, and like the fact that he isn't like a Parcells and doesn't give them hard practices or harsh words to keep them in line. Kinda of like summer camp with a cool counselor. Someone you want to hang out with but does he really bring the best out of you?

I think keeping Zorn is worth considering. But I think the one who should be doing the considering is our brand new uninfluenced general manager.

THIS! I'll be fine if we keep Zorn, Campbell, draft defense with our first pick....whatever as long as it comes from our brand new GM!

It is the same situation with JC. Don't bring in a coach unless you have a proven commodity that is better. Don't bring in a QB unless you believe that QB will be better.

Also, as long as Zorn understands he will be the coach and not play caller/primary game plan creator I don't have a problem with him.

Either way Vinny should be gone. Heck, look at promoting one of the guys below him. No long term goals and specific direction is Vinny's fault. It actually is the owners fault, but we can't fire him.

I also say take a look from within for two reasons:

1. As with above, if you can't get a known GM to come in consider within who already knows the players and organization.

2. Somebody had to be feeding Vinny the info to draft a lot of these players. Vinny decided on who we should draft, but he was given a list of quality candidates by his staff.

I think people are forgetting that we've been so much better with Portis on the bench.

He's a prima donna and I think he had a very big part of the gameplan, whether directly or indirectly. I think Zorn was strongly encouraged to get Portis as much carries as possible, and that just flattened our whole offense.

With him out, we've been miles better and we've actually seen fire from the team.

Keep Zorn, hell keep Vinny, but get rid of some of the egos in the locker room.

I guess so much for stability.

Let's bring in a guy who won with another team somewhere and let him stay for 2 years before he leaves or is chased out. Then we can get another stopgap coach for 2 years.

Maybe we can even completely change systems this offseason. That'd be great. And if that doesn't work out in 2 years, we'll just change systems again.

The true value of a coach is leadership,motivation, and WINNING! How everyone loves to forget Zorn's ineptitude with game management, playcalling and our offensive offense at the beginning of the season against the bottom dwellers of the NFL.Not to mention being scared of taking shots when you have nothing to lose and putting your foot on opponents throats when they are down.If Lewis was not here we would still be scoring less than 17 points a game and Zorn would still have 3 different jobs.

They should keep him. Yeah he's made some mistakes but what do you expect from someone learning on the job while implementing an offense, coddling a average QB, and dealing with obvious egos on the team. Gibbs 2 saw a lot of the same mistakes especially clock mismanagement.

Some growing pains should have been expected and accounted for. Firing the guy after two years and starting all over again for the [insert how many coaches we've had in how many years here] time isnt the answer.

Look at different situation around the league. Marvin Lewis was a bad coach last year....is he great now? Mike Tomlin was the best thing since sliced bread last year....is he borerline now?

Give JZ time please.

God... please no! I have already been through enough with Zorn these past two seasons. The guy is completely clueless and can't control a game worth crap. Horrible playcalling and atrocious clock management.

Both him and JC show no intensity out there. Bring in some true leaders who have the fire to win please.

If you asked me this question a month ago I would have said that Zorn, Campbell, Vinnie....Everyone needs to go. But over the last few games It looks like Zorn and Campbell deserve another shot....the fundemental reason behind why the skins are doing so poorly is now becoming quite apparent- The just don't have as talented personnel as they thought, and their superstars simply aren't. All of this falls on Vinny.

So my feeling as of now is that Vinny needs to go but Zorn and Campbell should get another chance.

I also find it funny.

Remember when everyone said "It takes a good three years for the WCO to be installed."?

Jeeze, we're so damn shortsighted. Zorn wasn't given a playoff team, period. I don't care what anyone thinks, the team wouldn't have gone to the playoffs last year. They were brittle. Even moreso this year.

But we've got a very solid youth movement going on and they're really fighting. But let's just pull the plug and hire a big name guy like we always do.

Firing Zorn and bringing in Cowher/Shanahan just reeks of the Dan Snyder move that has been killing the Redskins. We always say we're gonna have to take some lumps to turn it around, but everybody moans when they have to sit through those lumps.

Think longterm people. Zorn has plenty of areas to improve. He's far from perfect. But we've been hitting on some draft picks in the last 2 years (the 2008 class might end up being pretty darn good) and this team is fighting right now just as hard as they were for Gibbs.

If you asked me this question a month ago I would have said that Zorn, Campbell, Vinnie....Everyone needs to go. But over the last few games It looks like Zorn and Campbell deserve another shot....the fundemental reason behind why the skins are doing so poorly is now becoming quite apparent- The just don't have as talented personnel as they thought, and their superstars simply aren't. All of this falls on Vinny.

So my feeling as of now is that Vinny needs to go but Zorn and Campbell should get another chance.

Vinny wasn't the head GM when we signed guys like Portis to huge deals. That would be Gibbs. We're feeling the affects of a Gibbs' team that was made to compete in the playoffs then. We went all out and fell short. It's not a knock on Gibbs, it's the truth. We have a bunch of vets with longterm deals that we're finally wrapping up under Vinny and Zorn. I think Vinny is an imbecile just as much as the next guy, but he hasn't done nearly as bad as he gets credit for. A lot of the moves hurting us were done before he had control.

For those saying he just doesn't win so we need to move on, I guess you would have pulled the plug on these guys too:

Jeff Fisher: 32-38 first 5 seasons (no winning records, and went 9-23 in 2004-2005)

Bill Parcells: 12-19 for first 2 seasons

Jimmy Johnson: 8-24 first 2 seasons

Tony Dungy: 24-24 first 3 seasons

Andy Reid: 16-16 first 2 seasons

Jon Gruden: 16-16 first 2 seasons

Dick Vermeil: 18-26 first 3 seasons

Bill Walsh: 8-24 first 2 seasons

None of those coaches were a proven winner after their first couple of years. I'm not saying Zorn will turn out to be like any of them, and there have been plenty of coaches that were a success right out of the gate, but if the team is fighting hard for him, the players respect him, we have a system that is actually starting to produce, and have young talent that is developing, changing coaches, QB, etc will only hinder that process. Keeping him at least deserves some consideration from our (hopefully new) GM.

For those saying he just doesn't win so we need to move on, I guess you would have pulled the plug on these guys too:

Jeff Fisher: 32-38 first 5 seasons (no winning records, and went 9-23 in 2004-2005)

Bill Parcells: 12-19 for first 2 seasons

Jimmy Johnson: 8-24 first 2 seasons

Tony Dungy: 24-24 first 3 seasons

Andy Reid: 16-16 first 2 seasons

Jon Gruden: 16-16 first 2 seasons

Dick Vermeil: 18-26 first 3 seasons

Bill Walsh: 8-24 first 2 seasons

None of those coaches were a proven winner after their first couple of years. I'm not saying Zorn will turn out to be like any of them, and there have been plenty of coaches that were a success right out of the gate, but if the team is fighting hard for him, the players respect him, we have a system that is actually starting to produce, and have young talent that is developing, changing coaches, QB, etc will only hinder that process. Keeping him at least deserves some consideration from our (hopefully new) GM.

Email Dan Snyder this info lol.

Good stuff.

Sherman Lewis's playcalling has little to do with the progress of the offense. Those of you who think it does are having problems discerning cause from coincidence.

When we last had Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels relatively healthy, Jim Zorn's team was going 6-2 with a QB and receivers who were still trying to grasp the offense.

The O-line injuries sent the offense into a tailspin. Now, with backups to backups on the line, but the QB and receivers executing better, the offense is showing signs of life.

I hope Dan Snyder has more patience and a better grasp on the situation than the average Redskins fan.

Archived