Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Redskins Make One-Year Offer to Walls

Redskins Make One-Year Offer to Walls

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, July 31, 2003; 3:17 PM

The Washington Redskins made a one-year, minimum-salary contract offer to former Pro Bowl tight end Wesley Walls after the free agent worked out today at Redskins Park.

Walls, 37, resisted the Redskins' efforts to sign him on the spot and made a scheduled trip to Green Bay. He likely will choose Friday from among similar contract offers by the Redskins, Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Wherever Walls signs, he probably will be paid $755,000, the league minimum for a player with his service time. He would count only $450,000 against the salary cap.

Walls was selected to five Pro Bowls in a span of six seasons while with the Carolina Panthers but slipped to 19 catches last season and was released in February. Still, he impressed Redskins officials during today's workout, being timed at 4.8 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, Coach Steve Spurrier and front-office executives Vinny Cerrato, Pepper Rodgers and Scott Campbell watched Walls run through drills following the club's morning practice on the fourth day of training camp.

Snyder contacted agent Jimmy Sexton to try to complete a deal immediately, but Walls had promised the Packers that he'd show up. The Redskins' top tight ends, at least for now, are Zeron Flemister, Robert Royal and Leonard Stephens. Snyder explored the possibility of signing Ernie Conwell at one point in the offseason, but the Redskins' interest faded and the free agent signed a five-year, $8 million contract with the New Orleans Saints.

Walls had a career-high 63 catches for the Panthers in 1999 and has 430 receptions in a 14-year NFL career that also included stints with the San Francisco 49ers and the Saints.

Walls, 37, resisted the Redskins' efforts to sign him on the spot and made a scheduled trip to Green Bay.

OMG, he resisted the Power of Lil' Napoleon. Amazing. The only person like The Danny is Steve Jobs. His incredibly persuasive delivery is referred to as the RDF (Reality Distortion Field). Apparently Snyder isnt quite there yet.

There's no way we're getting him. He'd never have numbers like he's used to on our team, and he'd have to learn a new scheme to boot. Green Bay and Tampa both run the WCO that he's used to, so it will be one of them.

Originally posted by CrankyTodd

OMG, he resisted the Power of Lil' Napoleon. Amazing. The only person like The Danny is Steve Jobs. His incredibly persuasive delivery is referred to as the RDF (Reality Distortion Field). Apparently Snyder isnt quite there yet.

Oh, and one more thing... :laugh:

I'm right their with ya cranky.;)

Originally posted by redman

There's no way we're getting him. He'd never have numbers like he's used to on our team, and he'd have to learn a new scheme to boot. Green Bay and Tampa both run the WCO that he's used to, so it will be one of them.

but both of those teams have at least a respectable body at TE...we don't....he may feel that he can get more playing time here plus its not as big of a relocation from the Panthers. I personally would be quite happy if we got him for the vet minimum. Even if he isn't the player he used to be it would be nice to have a tight end with some real experience.

Originally posted by J33Edwards

but both of those teams have at least a respectable body at TE...we don't....he may feel that he can get more playing time here plus its not as big of a relocation from the Panthers. I personally would be quite happy if we got him for the vet minimum. Even if he isn't the player he used to be it would be nice to have a tight end with some real experience.

exactly what I was thinking. He won't see the light of day on either of those teams, especially GB. Unless he's resigned himself to sitting on the bench I think DC is his best option to see playing time no matter how many looks he'll get.

I don't know how "respectable" TB's TE's are. But even as a #2 TE on a WCO team that runs a lot of 2 TE schemes, he's going to get more balls there than here. His stats with us are going to resemble Don Warren's, and he's got more to offer than that.

If all the offers are equal (vet minimum), if I'm Walls whose 37 years old, I think I'd take the Tampa offer (probably best chance at a ring before retirement after this year), assuming they extended one, then the Redskins. I'd only be going to GB to see if they offer a better one. Although, since I'm a Redskin fan, I'd really take the 'Skins offer.

Originally posted by OPM

If all the offers are equal (vet minimum), if I'm Walls whose 37 years old, I think I'd take the Tampa offer (probably best chance at a ring before retirement after this year), assuming they extended one, then the Redskins. I'd only be going to GB to see if they offer a better one. Although, since I'm a Redskin fan, I'd really take the 'Skins offer.

I think Walls has a ring w/ the '9ers, but that's besides the point :o

I really don't care if the team gets him or not. It won't make or break the season.

It does indicate that they aren't thrilled with what they have at TE now. I wonder if they just aren't picking up the mental aspect of Spurrier's offense...

Green Bay?

Walls is going to sit on the bench behind Bubba Franks, who was a #1 pick and pro bowl selection last year :)

He would play more in Tampa and that is probably his best bet.

He was just using the Skins as a stalking horse to get an offer and then shop it around. He was probably disappointed the Skins didn't offer him a little more than minimum so the Bucs would have to match :laugh:

No doubt the rumor of deep pockets brings everyone here, even players that don't really want to play for the Skins :D

Archived