Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Derrick Dockery Rookie Training Camp Diary, July 30

FLSKINSFAN

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=11798

Derrick Dockery Rookie Training Camp Diary, July 30

07/30/2003

Editor's Note: The Redskins selected Texas offensive lineman Derrick Dockery in the third round (77th overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. At 6-6, 347 pounds, Dockery has the size and ability to play many positions along the offensive line, including both guard positions and right tackle. Head coach Steve Spurrier has not indicated how he'll use Dockery in the 2003 season but the team has worked him in different spots along the line.

Dockery is slated to log a rookie diary throughout Training Camp 2003 for Redskins.com.

By Derrick Dockery

July 30, 2003

I enjoyed practice this morning. It was fun and that’s what it’s all about. We were all working hard, trying to push each other. We’re trying to reach a common goal and that’s to win. But first we have to compete with one another and make ourselves better.

This week I’ve focused on learning the offense. I’m picking it up fine. I’ve never had a problem learning an offense. Even at the University of Texas, I stepped in as a true freshman and I was able to learn things pretty quickly. So that’s never been a problem for me.

Learning an offense comes naturally to me. It’s a lot of studying, and actually a lot of the blocking schemes we ran in college are the same. It’s just different terminology. So I've been spending my time trying to associate what I learned in college with some of the terminology we're using here in Washington.

Offensive line coach Kim Helton has been a great influence. He’s been spending a lot of time with me, encouraging me to get better. We’ve had extra meetings to go over assignments.

My teammates have been very helpful as well, in terms of learning the offense and adjusting to the NFL. All the inside guys--Randy Thomas, Dave Fiore, Wilbert Brown, and Larry Moore, plus tackles Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels--have all been great in helping me out. If I have a question, they’ll tell me what to do and where to go.

Derrick Dockery's rookie diary can be found throughout training camp on Redskins.com.

I got a hunch this kid is going to be the steal of the draft.

I was led to believe before the draft that he was out of shape and unmotivated, and that's why he lasted until the 3rd round. But from his photo which I saw in mini-camp, unlike Tre Johnson, I didn't any flab or a beer gut on Derrick.

And from the way he talks, he seems confident and is having no trouble picking up the offense.

I expect him to be the starter at LG by next season if not sooner, and as a 6-5+ 340 lb. guard, I see visions of the ole hogs returning to D.C. :cheers:

I like what I hear from him being able to learn offenses well and the fact that his blocking assignments are similar to college makes me feel better too. Kim Helton has impressed me so far as a coach and talent evaluator. He had nothing last year and I think that Dockery will end up playing on the line this year.

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

I personally think he has Mookie Moore written all over him. It takes more than a large body and the ability to lean to be a starting offensive guard.

Let's hope not. Mookie was a low-round pick and cosidered more a project, while Dockery is an accomplished player from a big-time program who's stock plummeted due to a bad combine. Not sure the reasoning behind the bad combine performance, nor do I care, but if it's up to me, I don't give a rat's ass how fast an offensive guard can run the 40, or how much he can bench press even; for me, it's all about what he does on the field and from the early reports, Dockery is coming along very nicely:)

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

I personally think he has Mookie Moore written all over him. It takes more than a large body and the ability to lean to be a starting offensive guard.

For Christ sake dont curse the man!:doh: :)

Archived