Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On BDW: so this means the FO screwed the pooch?

Om

I've seen a couple of statements to the effect that posters don't believe the team really just let their only "proven" DT go without a clue as to what the effect on the team will be, but they seem to be the minority. Mainly, people seem to think the Skins simply effed this up totally and just don't get it and oh well there goes another goddam season.

I'm just curious here .... how many of you really and truly believe that the team does not have a plan in place to replace what BDW might have brought this year? I mean a plan in terms of everythig from knowing something about the players on hand already that we don't, to having a laundry list of possible replacements all marked up and highlighted and with agents' numbers on speed-dial, to something else that may well already BE in place behind the scenes, and so on?

The Skins are many things. What they are NOT, I feel comfortable in saying, is less informed than we are. Sure there are concerns -- such as possibly bringing in someone late again, much like with D. Gardener last year -- but if we're smart enought to understand them ... so are SS and Vinny and Edwards and, yes, even The Dan.

Not really intending a rant here, and yes I'm a bit uneasy right now, too ... but perhaps a cold beer and a deep breath or two might be in order here?

Or perhaps that's a deep beer or two and a cold breath ...

Whatever.

Hey, at least we're not talking "favorite guitar solo" any more.

Dude, personally (i will now on start all my posts with the previous phrase) I think the move was warrented and was wise.

I feel that they have a plan in place to secure some depth on the d-line. It may be possible that the GA boys can do something as backups and we can land a solid playmaking tackle.

What not a guitar fan anymore OM? There's always alot of Brittany to talk about.....:hump: :jerkoff:

Om, I agree 100%.

In past years, I would have agreed with the majority of posters that think the FO effed this one up.

The way the FO executed "The Plan" in the offseason makes me believe that their actions were well thought out and that they have options for replacing BDW.

I felt the same way last year when we went with scrubs at QB. The FO isn't always right.

But you have a good point. Perhaps they have a contingency plan in place. I just don't know what the heck it could possibly be, and that sort of thing keeps me up at night.

What options? They have no plan to replace him. They just have hope. They hope some veterans get released. They hope Haley can play.

But why is that a bad thing? It's not like they released Bailey or Jansen or Ramsey. Wilkinson was just an average player. What kind of plan to you need to replace him? Just plug another fat guy in the middle, and he'll get you 17 tackles.

"The Plan" might be to save some money so they have a future with Champ. What's wrong with that? If you're holding your breath for some major trade to bring big-name DT talent to the Skins, you're wasting your time.

"And.... from the heavens... accompanied by a ray of sunlight... a voice of reason boomed."

I'm with you OM, scoot over and hand me that bottle opener. I think the F.O. had a contingency plan in place when deciding to release BDW. They either see something already on the roster, or are aware of potential camp cuts that can help us.

Furthermore, I think this sends an excellent message to the rest of the team.... and finally blows the remnants of stench from the Norval area. From this day forward, you earn your roster spot on performance.... not on the salary implications of releasing you or the potential weakspot that could appear by doing so.

Hey... by the way, did the Post yesterday not comment on Ramsey getting flushed out of the pocket a number of times and rushing his throws? Who do you think was responsible for that.... Al-Qaeda?

What options? They have no plan to replace him. They just have hope. They hope some veterans get released. They hope Haley can play.

EM, your answer is Exhibit A for what I'm talking about ... a fan on a message board who is just absolutely 100% sure-as-**** certain he knows more about what's going on behind the closed doors of a professional football club than the people who run it.

My response? Okay, man, if you say so.

I figure you've got a 50% chance of being right ... either they do have a plan, or they don't.

You've assumed a stance based on ... something you know that the rest of us don't, apparently.

Me, I'll wait and see.

Madder, I'm w/ you. The guy has been a narginally productive player in ALL his seasons here, and is eating up too much space-- salary cap and oterwise. The Skins actually have a logjam of bodies at DL and TC will filter out the players from the chaff.

To be a champion in todays NFL you gotta be able to make bold moves like this.

In '99 we got solid O-Lineman at the last minute on the cheap. In 2001, we were able to duplicate that success. It made our FO complacent in '02, and we got stuck with the likes of Brendan Stai and Loverne is Shirley.

Schotferbrains cut overpriced Blubberfield and was able to get a serviceable year out of Kenard Lang, thanks to a career year from BDW. Then last year Gardener fell out of the sky and gave us a pro-bowl quality year. i can't help but be suspicious that our FO is taking the same attitude as it did with the OL, namely, 'Shucks, there's always one out there just as good as another..." We spent big bucks on the OL this offseason to try and correct last year's gaffes. My guess is the same thing will happen this year with the DL ( and ASF will have a field day ridiculing Edwards for it - not that that would be a bad thing either....).

EM, your answer is Exhibit A for what I'm talking about ... a fan on a message board who is just absolutely 100% sure-as-**** certain he knows more about what's going on behind the closed doors of a professional football club than the people who run it.

My response? Okay, man, if you say so.

I figure you've got a 50% chance of being right ... either they do have a plan, or they don't.

Two things: in business, if you do have a planned succession, you don't burn your bridges before you've completed it. If the Skins do have someone waiting in the wings, they have much less leverage with him now that they've released BDW. The Skins have not shown any signs that they have some sort of "secret plan" to replace him. They seem to be comfortable that they can make do with what they've got, and they'll watch the waiver wire for other options.

You say I'm the type of fan who's certain he knows more that the FO. You seem to be the type of fan who blindly believes that everything they do is the right thing for the club because they're the "professionals." These are the same professionals who signed Wuerffel and Matthews, and nearly traded Ramsey, because they just knew they could run the offense. They also signed Jeff George. They cut Brian Mitchell so Deion could return kicks. I'm not trashing them, I'm just pointing out that they do make mistakes, and your faith might be slightly misplaced.

I, for one, would be impressed if they had a trade planned that would fill the spot. That would be evidence of a plan. I strongly doubt it, but we'll see.

I don't care about Wilkinson, we aren't going to the playoffs this year with or without him, I just hate the short-sightedness this Front Office has demonstrated time and time again, every year we are starting over, now we are supposed to be happy that we won't have to start over for 2 years? Talk about lowered expectations

The FO has every right to cut the guy if they feel it's absolutely necessary. I just have to wonder what is up with the urgency that a decision had to be made today. Is there a deal out there waiting to happen? Perhaps. It just seems they could have hashed things out for a couple of days, especially since BDW had a brand new agent in Brig Owens. Who knows? Maybe there was no way they were going to agree on the incentives but one day to hash out a veteran contract seems a bit rash.

Yomar,

I think it's crazy to say the Redskins aren't making the playoffs with or withour Wilkinson. You may be right, but, if Ramsey is a legitimate player and the Redskins offense is as good as it might be able to be, we'll make the playoffs without Wilkinson. So much of this season is based on how he does. So little of this season is based on what Wilkinson does.

quote:

The Skins have not shown any signs that they have some sort of "secret plan" to replace him.

Not true. The Skins allegedly negotiated with but failed to sign Gilbert Brown last week. Brown decided to re-up with the Packers when they offered him a long term deal.

Yeah, Evil, but wouldn't that be evidence of a bad plan?

:laugh:

Sorry Art but no way is it happening. I am a big fan of Ramsey's future but between the NFC East and AFC East he is going to face elite defenses and elite secondaries on an almost weekly basis, playoff expectations this year are overly optimistic.

Do you think maybe your FO misplayed its hand, thinking the change of agents was all that was needed to bring BDW to heel, but being surprised when Brig, a former Redskin, didn't play along? Or, might the Jets have a hand in the game? If the agent thought beforehand that a ready market existed for his man, it undoubtedly stiffened his backbone. The Jets might enjoy making mischief. Don't you think?

BDW isn't going to get that kind of money from any other team. They offered him a more-than-fair deal, and he turned it down. That said, he's gone. He's not coming back with his tail between his legs. He'll sign one of those backloaded deals somewhere that look huge so he can save face.

I'm surprised the Skins weren't deterred by the acceleration of BDW's muliple overlapping restructured bonuses. $3.5M in unpaid salary is freed up now, but since the bonus is amortized over 1 year less, a large chunk is given back in increased dead money next year.

I haven't been following too closely, but this looks to create a dead money hit in 2004 of around $4M-$5M. The hit would've been $2M and the remainder in 2005 had BDW been cut post 6/1/4.

Does anyone know the details on this?

Archived