Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

my theory on Champ...

...first, let me state that i would love to see the skins retain Champ and think it is the wise thing. at this stage his football smarts are approaching his awesome physical skills and that makes for a dominant player. with health, he has Hall-of-Fame written all over him.

i think the skins will offer him a salary that pays him like a top 5 corner, maybe by franchising him, and Champ wants to be paid like THE best corner (which he likely is IMHO). i think they will end up letting him go for draft picks.

i just don't get a good vibe on his remaining a skin. maybe they think Champ and Lavar are one too many expensive superstars, i don't know. we may end up feeling like the Pirates fans do when they watch Barry Bonds play for the Giants.

man, do i hope i am wrong. but you watch, the contract front will either be real quiet or an offer will be made that the skins know is unlikely to be accepted.

The same things were said when John Jansen', and Chris Samuels contracts were up for renewal, Champ will not see Free Agent daylight, with the Salary Cap increasing after this season and money that will be freed up depending on the BDW situation, and the caproom that was freed up with the restructure of Lavar' contract, will give the Skins the needed upfront money to get Champ signed

I can't believe some of you people. If this team we put together now is good enough to keep for a few years....why would the Skins do ANYTHING except make their main goals of the next twelve months to signing Champ and Lavar for long time? Do we need to go after another big FA? Will we have more money because of Davis and Bruce? They will be able to keep those two.

Bank on it.

Originally posted by Bufford

I can't believe some of you people. If this team we put together now is good enough to keep for a few years....why would the Skins do ANYTHING except make their main goals of the next twelve months to signing Champ and Lavar for long time? Do we need to go after another big FA? Will we have more money because of Davis and Bruce? They will be able to keep those two.

Bank on it.

If we can sign those two, great. I don't think we can so it is a mute point. If we can, it is a given; if we can't what do we do? that is the question.

Originally posted by ThatGuy

Does Dan Snyder ever lose on someone if he wants him???

Easy boys!

Good point, Mr. Snyder does get who he wants and if he wants to make Champ a life long Redskin he will do what he can to ensure he stays in D. C. :deal:

That is actually a REALLy good point. Dan hasn't let anyone slip away. The only losses we have suffered in the F/O were Gardener (who wanted a rediculous contract with no assurance to us) who now beats people up in bars and, dare I say, Brad Johnson, who was coming off of a sub-par season. He aslo was requesting a contract that would have payed him beyond his worth at that time.

The fact of the matter is that other guys need to latch on to the team goal. BDW needs to take his paycut. Trotter could take one IMHO. There should be a way for them to do this.

I'm in no way informed of the cap and how it works, but wouldn't any contracts agreed to reflect on next years cap?(unless obviusly, this is done before the season)

Under no circumstance do we even consider trading Champ now. Why? This team is well put together, and draft picks next year don't help us now.

And if you are resigned to losing Champ, then you keep this year for a song (i.e., cheap) get great play out of him, the Franchise Tag him, and if we still can't afford him, then at least we are getting 2 first round picks in successive years. That's 4 first round picks in two years ... a great way to rebuild our aging DL.

But we'll never trade champ now. It makes no sense. But I also think we are going to let this year play out, and deal with him while he's tagged. B/C he's gonig to be just as expensive now as he will next year. No matter what, he's still young and the best in the game ... at least with Woodson hurt ... and I think he had woodsen beat anyway.

It would be extremely stupid to let him go.

And what also amazes me is how some skinsfans(?) downplay how great Champ is by trying to compare him to over hyped corners who have just as many superbowl rings as Champ.

Some fools will try to compare tampons backfield while ignoring the fact that their front four makes up for the secondary's shortcomings.

Heck imagine Champ on a team that actually has a pass rush. Imagine him in a defensive scheme for two years in a row.

I'll take Champ over Springs, Woodson and Surtain any day.

Archived