Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe 5 sacks was an indication?

Art

Peter King had this observation on Robertson:

"I watch rookie phenom Dewayne Robertson closely for a few series, trying to see the explosion the Jets drafted him for. On seven snaps he's matched up, single-blocked, against either seventh-round guard Dave Youvanotis from Temple or veteran Tom Nutten, and on six of those, Robertson gets blocked or ridden outside the play. Once he penetrates and gets to the quarterback just after he throws. Uh-oh. Dave Yovanovits?"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/peter_king/news/2003/07/28/mmqb/

Awfully early, but you'd think he'd be tearing Youvanotis up wouldn't ya? :).

Not surprised at all.

Figure this, there have been few if any who had the career of BDW in college and we see how its turned out. Damn solid but not HOF level.

We'll see after the first few preseason games.

Dont you guys think its a LITTLE early to be dissing D-rob? Look, I'm ecstatic with having Coles, and it was absolutely the right choice, but that doesnt mean we have to constantly dog the Jets faithful. They should have matched Coles, and were pretty stupid not to, but it didnt work out horribly for them.

First day of camp, fellas. We're not in regular season-shape, either. :)

Some of you may recall more than one poster here calling LaVar a "bust" 5 days into his rookie camp when he showed up and had the audacity not to look like LT from jump.

Robertson may turn into the Next Big Thing, or me might turn out to be "just a guy."

Three years, and you'll have a pretty good idea which. Three practices?

Not.

EM,

I don't think anyone was judging Robertson on one day of camp. I think an observation was made by someone at that camp and from that we got to have a good natured ribbing of our Jet fan visitors.

However, if one were to want to draw a conclusion it wouldn't be from one practice, but, rather, from three seasons at Kentucky where Robertson was hardly a demon in pressuring the QB, and at least one recent camp observer pointed out a similar assessment during one stretch of practice he saw.

Just last week I was trashing King and praising Pastabelly. Let's take a look at how King operates to see what I mean.

Apr 28 - I think when I'm asked about the Jets' draft, I'm going to have some very serious questions. For Kentucky tackle Dewayne Robertson, New York traded, in effect, Laveranues Coles, a first-round pick and a fourth-round pick. And, according to a story in Sunday's Newark Star-Ledger, the Jets were prepared to deal their second-rounder to Detroit as well, if that's what it took to get Robertson. Turns out they didn't have to. But the fact that they were willing to trade four of their top five picks tells me they thought Robertson must have been one of the best defensive players to enter the NFL in years. My question: Is he? Time will tell, and I'm not a big watcher of college football at all. But this is a guy whose name isn't Dewayne Robertson anymore; it's The Next Warren Sapp. Sapp had 10.5 sacks in his final season at the best college program in the country at the time, Miami, in 1994. Robertson had 10.5 sacks in his 32-game career at a mediocre Division I school, Kentucky. I hope this kid can take pressure, because if he gets blocked by one linemen with any consistency as a pro, New York fans will boo the kid worse than they're booing Armando Benitez right now. And if you wonder how bad they're giving it to Benitez, imagine you're standing on the busiest runway at O'Hare this afternoon about 5 o'clock, with no earplugs. That's what Robertson can look forward to if he's not, at the very least, Cortez Kennedy.

So King's mind is made up on Robertson on 4/28, despite conceding he has little knowledge of college ball. Then, on 5/5 AND 6/3 (omitted from this post, but trust me they're there), King took 2 more swipes at Robertson, questioning the hype surrounding him and again sarcastically rehashing DR's collegiate statistics.

Most recently, King gets another chance to take a dig - claiming he wasn't impressed with Robertson's performance on 8 snaps. OH REALLY??? How surprising - this observation wouldn't in any way be slanted to further an agenda put into place back in April. How can Robertson look good in practice if this arrogant pr!ck has been bashing him for months? Impossible.

No big deal here - but I'm just pointing out one of the reasons that King is an irritant. He uses his columns as a means to stroke his own ego, as much as anything else. Robertson example aside, it's pretty weak if you ask me.

I love this topic. Not because I buy into DR as a bust . . . at least not this early in the game. It's Jets fans that have made this topic so much fun. The superlatives on Jets boards about this guy - a guy who didn't get a whole lot of college exposure and only shot up to #4 in the last few weeks before the draft - are jawdropping. I see him as a good, serviceable tackle for the balance of his eyepopping contract term. Everyone dreams about the potential of their newest top pick, but NYJ fans have truckload of bronze ordered. Truth be told, I feel for the kid and only wish him badly two times a season.

art, i too love making fun of the jets... looking forward to that conversation in a month or so!!

robertson is a rookie and will get it together. i think he will make a good player in the nfl... not sure about #4, but the guy has the size, the speed, and the desire from all i have heard.

his low sack totals: he was the only guy on their roster who could rush the QB-- double and triple teams...

Archived