Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I was at the pet store the other day...

Riggo-toni

...and my wife as usual is trying out the latest pug in stock. She's been wanting one of those for some time, but we've had to wait until our house got built. Well, completion time for home sweet home is only a few weeks away, and she found a pug with just the temperament she wanted. All along, she's wanted to name it "Malone" because she's an avid Utah Jazz fan. Me, I've hated basketball ever since the Big E left town. I looked at this thing zipping across the room, and thought, it's small, but so damn quick. Instinctively, I called out, "C'mere Darrell!" Somehow the name stuck, even though she didn' t make the connection. I told her if she got another one, she'd have to name him Champ! We're picking up Darrell tomorrow.

Originally posted by redman

LOL! But why don't you get a real dog? ;)

Dude, if it were up to me, we wouldn't have gotten a dog; or if we had, it would've been a Bernese Mountain Dog (don't like German Shephards much because I used to be a paperboy and got bitten by a couple of 'em), or just a big mutt from a shelter. But I had to cash in my brass balls 4 years ago to pay for a wedding ring.

Marriage- A 3 Ring Circus: Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, Suffering

Originally posted by riggo-toni

...and my wife as usual is trying out the latest pug in stock. She's been wanting one of those for some time, but we've had to wait until our house got built.

Congrats :)

The only thing I might say is a word of caution. Find out if the petstore has any type of documentation of the dog, unless it is a mutt then you don't have to worry about it.

My wife and I are looking at getting a dog as well. The one thing we have discovered is it might be a good ideal to stay away from actual pet stores to get the dog. It is better to go with a rebutable breeder.

A dog from a pet store does NOT come from a reputable breeder.

Pet store dogs come from puppy mills.

I strongly urge you to not buy a dog from a pet store. Not only will you be getting a dog with questionable inherited traits, but you will be directly supporting the inhumane treatment that dogs in puppy mills endure.

Please read this and this.

Guys,

I appreciate your efforts, but the truth is - I don't want to offer any input at all. The name thing was just something that I blurted out instinctively as a Skins fan. I thought some of you might find that mildly humorous. If I tell the wife where to buy a pooch, then I've become involved. That's a major no-no for me.

Bottom line:I'm not a pet guy - I don't like anything that requires maintenance ie kids, pets, plants, etc. My wife is the one insisting on getting a dog, so as long as I stay out of it, she'll be responsible for taking care of it. Any suggestions I make imply some degree of responsibility on my part, and I aint making that leap!!!

Still, I'm glad somehow I was able to bring Kurp and K17 closer together :D

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Guys,

I appreciate your efforts, but the truth is - I don't want to offer any input at all. The name thing was just something that I blurted out instinctively as a Skins fan. I thought some of you might find that mildly humorous. If I tell the wife where to buy a pooch, then I've become involved. That's a major no-no for me.

Bottom line:I'm not a pet guy - I don't like anything that requires maintenance ie kids, pets, plants, etc. My wife is the one insisting on getting a dog, so as long as I stay out of it, she'll be responsible for taking care of it. Any suggestions I make imply some degree of responsibility on my part, and I aint making that leap!!!

Still, I'm glad somehow I was able to bring Kurp and K17 closer together :D

I am curious have you ever had puppies before?? If not you might change they way you feel as it grows up. It will be a very nice rewarding relationship.

Maybe after two years, when the dog has grown on you, but has some hereditory ailment or some other health issues as a result of poor breeding, you will start wishing that you had actually researched a bit and gone to a reputable breeder.

I understand the nonchalant attitude but dude you (personally) already named the little bugger.......go figure.

and yeah BTW........get a REAL dog (doberman):laugh:

Never had a dog. Never had a cat until I got married. My only pet experiences: a hamster, and later a couple of chameleons as a kid. Actually, i always thought i would want a dog,...until I had to dog-sit for my in-laws. A few days of that and I completely changed my mind. I tried talking my wife out of getting a dog, but I could see she really had her heart set on it. (She had a show dog as a teenager.)

So... I just sit on the sidelines and let her go with it. This is why we ended up getting a pug instead of my choice, which would have been rescuing a friendly mutt from a shelter. It'll be like her cats. I actually enjoy one of them, but I always refer to them as "hers," so as to avoid getting stuck with taking care of them beyond the usual feeding, etc. I do in fact quite like animals, so long as they're friendly and belong to someone else.

My first wife hated and feared dogs until we got our first one. When we got divorced, I actually had to fight to keep him. Dogs just have a way of growing on you. Sorry, but cats aren't even in the same ballpark so you won't even know what hit you.

Trust me. You'll grow to love him.

good call though on thinking about a bernese mtn dog. they're sweet as hell. due to the financial considerations of getting a purebred BMD, we rescued a pup from a pound. next time around, we'll be getting a BMD.

Rigg-toni, we can respect you wanting it left up to your wife. You can just point out to her some observations and still leave it to her.

Would you rather get one, and become attached to it (and even if you don't, your wife and/or future kids will), and then have to put the dog down due to it being inbred and suffering?

I grew up with a pug (Butch). And a doberman (killer) and a german sheppard (Bear).

My sister has kept pugs ever since, as did my Mom after Butch died. One of the pugs my sister bought was inbred and had health issues which affected the dog, eventually causing him to get put to sleep.

There are MANY unscrupulous pug breeders/growers out there charging a ton of money for pups from brother/sister type breedings.

So getting a healthy dog could save you vet money, or future heartache for your wife or future kids. Wouldn't that be worthwhile?

Presa Canario's are like Pit Bulls on steroids. They can be socialized - if they're from good lines - but as with any breed that was brought into existence to fight, I just feel like that's a breed that has a narrower margin for error in its dealings with people.

That sh*t about the puppy mills really pisses me off. I can't say that I have ever heard of such a thing. I know violence is horrible, I know humans are supposed to be the greater species or "more Important" species, but I will f*cking kick one of there as*es first chance I get. I can't stand cruelty to my canine brethren. I love dogs, have since before I can remember and have owned many a mutt. With all the tragedy and atrocity that we humans commit to each other and that I hear about, I must admit this spineless sh*t really bothers me. I know I am twisted but Im really just amazed. I probobly should have never read that stuff, even though I couldn't read all of it.

Activists in some parts of the country have been successful in getting pet stores to stop selling puppies. I've been known to walk into such a store, find the manager, and then inform them that I know where they're getting their puppies from. Of course the usual response is one of denial.

I have been successful on a number of occasions in talking acquaintances out of a pet store puppy purchase.

Archived