Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So it looks like we're going into the season with no extension for Champ??

Skins26

Ive been at the beach for a week and dont know really what all is going on. I was praying that when i came back i would hear about a new deal for Champ and a new deal for Lavar. I guess not though. I am happy about Dockery and hopefully Jacobs will sign. Has there been any news about Champ/Lavar contracts??

It is my understanding that our primary and immediate goal was to get our 3 draft picks under contract previous to the stary of camp...that, coupled with the re-working of "Big Daddy's" contract, will set the stage for addressing new contracts for these two...there is still a possibility that this gets done before 9-4-03.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

I personally would be suprised to see Champ resign during the season. I beleive he wants to play for a winning team and until the Skins do it on the field I beleive he will keep his options open

Wny do you say that?

And remember too during the regular season last year we did extend OT Jon Jansen's contract.

look, Bailey isn't going anywhere, at least not soon :)

if he doesn't agree to terms the Skins will franchise him and then will get another year through 2004 to resign him to a longer term contract.

if for some reason they don't make him an exclusive rights player, the Redskins will get 2 #1 draft choices for him in a trade if they allow him to make a deal elsewhere.

Originally posted by Cskin

Champ's seen Darrel Green and his loyalty to the Redskins, and team treated DG like royalty. Champ wants the same, and he'll get the extension he wants and the market value he expects.

Just like the Jansen deal last year Im sure that Champ's deal will get done. If for some reason it doesnt get done, look for him to be franchised next year just so that they can have more time to iron out a long term contract.

I hope you guys are right, I would hate to lose Champ. Jon Jansen was the first major resigning that this team had made since Synder took over. The resigning wasn't pretty either as I can remeber. D.Green was a special case, he could have stayed on as long as he wanted.

Most of the other major free agent players have pretty much been shown the door. Look at Stephen Davis. I know he was let go, but they put this guy through the grinder. Hes poised to have a monster year in Carolina.

Isn't there a problem with them keeping both Lavar and Champ, Lavar has a huge cap number next year?

Originally posted by Skyward72

Isn't there a problem with them keeping both Lavar and Champ, Lavar has a huge cap number next year?

If you use "creative financing" on these two players contracts, you can still have enough space to sign rookies for the next couple of years and maybe pick up a low price F/A.

The problem lies with guys like Smoot and Gardner. If they are going to want big money contracts compariable to their counterparts (Bailey and Coles respectively), then we have to say sayonara to these two guys at the end of their contracts... :doh:

Originally posted by Bufford

I am open to bets than the Skins sign both Lavar and Arrington to long term deals.

I believe it will happen that much.

I want some of what you got!:high:

I think it's likely that Champ will be a career Skin. The deal will get done some time this season. I think the Skins' track record is actually pretty good when it comes to keeping their best players that are still in their prime. Davis is past his prime and doesn't fit anymore, and losing guys like Thrash and Barber made room for guys like Coles and Trotter. I loved all 3 of those guys, but I understand why they're not here anymore. The only cut in recent Skin history that really bothered me was Brian Mitchell. He should have been a career Skin.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

I personally would be suprised to see Champ resign during the season. I beleive he wants to play for a winning team and until the Skins do it on the field I beleive he will keep his options open

:applause:I agree. If we don't make the playoffs Champ will play a lot more hardball with contracts. At best will want more money, at worst... he goes. Furthermore, if we don't make the play-offs in the next 2 years I think it's doubtful someone won't defect between Bailey, Arrington & Samuels, regardless of money.

:applause: I also agree with the point we may pocket the draft picks. So I'm not worried about compensation. But that's a hard spot replace.

:laugh: cranky todd your a riot.

This is why I said what I said because we continusally as a franchise consist on overkill at one position or another. We signed Bruce Smith instead of Michael Barrow... This year we got Coles and Jacobs instead of Hugh Douglas. If we could have gotten Jacobs and Douglas our team would have been better . Bailey is smart enouth to see the reaching this franchise continues to do. The dolphins go Junior Seau for a 5th round pic we got Matt Bowen... Enough said

rterps,

thing is, snyder worked on getting players whose best days are ahead of them. Unlike the players you mentioned, we can count on play from bowen and coles for the next three years at least.

That barely holds for seau and douglas whose best days are clearly behind them.

I think this approach makes sense.

-DB

I don't know why you guys are so optimistic about Champ re-signing. I love the guy, and up until this year I thought he'd be a career 'Skin because of his attitude, his professionalism, his relationship with DG, etc. However, in the last year he has both (a) stated that he wants to play in a warmer climate and (B) has taken an absolute "you want me here, the ball is entirely in your court." Players who are serious about being here would likely be at least a little more proactive than that. You can say "look at Daryl Gardener," but then Jon Jansen spoke about wanting to stick with the Redskins and backed it up. Unlike JJ and Lavar, Champ has shown absolutely no such commitment or desire to stick around. He seems like a mercenary type to me.

Exactly my point.. And as far as players with their futures in front of them like who? Deion..........Bruce? Rod Jones? We could have locked up a solid player like Michael Barrow insted of Bruce Smith until some of these moves go in our favor we will be the LA Clippers of the NFL

Archived