Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier vs Levy

I am curious to see how you all think that the Fun-n-Gun compares to Marv Levy's No Huddle offense. I just finished watching a documentary on Jim Kelly and I bring back memories about how he used to love running that offense and it was really the talk of the league for some time.

I dont really know how they compare, but all this stuff I was hearing about Jim Kelly is kinda similar to what I've heard about Ramsey, particularly the stuff about his pocket presence, zip on the ball, and his ability to read defenses.

I hope that Ramsey can have a similar career to Jim Kelly, with the exception being that we win our 4 super bowls that we go to.

Buffalo's no huddle was designed basically to lock in the group of defensive players to hold on to mismatches... Kelly actually called the plays at the line most of the time.

Ramsey won't be calling anyplays, but Spurrier does encourage him to switch to a better play based on the defense. So in a way, there is some similarity there. Spurrier's main "thing" so to speak is just being aggressive and attacking rather than playing for ball control. Spurrier figures that a touchdown and an Interception are better than 2 field goals. The gambler mentality....

I would say the we will run a no huddle at times, but nothing like Buffalo, where it was the primary focus.

They have a similar style and goal, but they're not the same thing as code said.

Both offenses key off of the passing game and rely upon the QB to make the correct reads in order to exploit mismatches to the fullest. Quite literally, both offenses are looking for a TD on every play - although they realize that that's not going to happen like that. But they take their shots at it nevertheless.

There are probably more similarities than differences, but as code said, the Buffalo offense was built around a no-huddle scheme involving the QB calling plays, whereas ours is built around QB modifications at the line of scrimmage to the play called by Spurrier.

Given the fact that Ramsey is given so much responsibility already, we could probably run the no huddle in much the same way that Buffalo did every so often to change things up. We actually ought to consider doing what the 50's Sooners did under Bud Wilkinson, which was to literally call 5 or more plays all at once, and run them without a huddle, all the while allowing Ramsey to make his regular adjustments at the line like he always does anyway.

Did Spurrier ever do this at Florida?

The Bills no-huddle O had defenses huffing and puffing. DLinemen had their hands on their sides sucking wind. I remember seeing defensive guys with their heads hanging and their chests going up and down quickly. I don't think the Redskins offense will do this to defenses. Defenses playing the Skins have a chance to put in subs and different defenses for each play. Opponents of the Bills at the time didn't get much of a chance to do this.

But who knows? Maybe after Ramsey gets very comfortable with this offense and improves any weaknesses he may have, Spurrier will go to the no-huddle for a number of series each game.

One of the coolest things about SOS' system is that the QB has so much autonomy. As a fan, I miss the days when the game was a matchup between the QB's instead of the OC's. I suspect that it's a lot more challenging and fun for the QB running it as well.

We'll probably never go back to the days of QB's calling their own plays, however the FNG is probably as close as we'll ever get to it.

To answer redman, yes, Spurrier did it at Florida, but still not in the same context as Buffalo. Spurrier's version reminds me more of the "sugar" offense that Cincinatti ran with Boomer Esiason, the "sort of huddled", close to the line of scrimmage, enough so that if a player on defense headed to the sidelines they could snap the ball and get the play off... Last year in training camp at Carlisle, they pretty much did that with Danny calling the plays.

Archived