Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bring back Casserly & Beathard and HIRE RUSS GRIMM as Coach!

The Hangman- C_Hanburger

To be fair, Grimm would be coming from a pass happy Cardinals team. And the Steelers teams he was on were very good.

He probably would hire a competant OC to run the offense.

He would have to since he's only been the O-line coach in each place. I just wanted to make a point to the OP that this is a passing league and he needs to let go of the past Riggo drill.

Because he is looking a lot better now than he did then. Plus, he got canned from the Texans for taking WIlliams over Bush, but that actually turned out to be the smarter draft pick.

Actually he agreed to step down long befor ethat pick was made

Most of you guys don't know jack squat about Grimm except for he played for the Skins 20 years ago and he's an oline coach now. Has he ever called plays or ran an offense? What makes you think he would be a great head coach?

Most of you guys don't know jack squat about Grimm except for he played for the Skins 20 years ago and he's an oline coach now. Has he ever called plays or ran an offense? What makes you think he would be a great head coach?

I wonder that too. Wonder how many have heard him speak, maybe they fell on bad days for him, but he didn't strike me as a charismatic speaker the few times I've heard him, pretty boring actually.

I do respect him as a player and love the idea of having a Hog in charge but I wonder if its a smart idea in this case.

I'm not kidding when I say this...I think I'd rather have Vinny over Cass. That tells you what I think of Cass.

That's ridiculous.

Who drafted the best Defensive End (Mario Williams) in football? Casserly.

Who drafted the best Wide Receiver (Andre Johnson) in football? Casserly.

Who drafted the best Cornerback (Champ Bailey) in football? Casserly.

Now whether you agree that these are the best NFL players at their position or not, you can't compare that body of work with Vinny "I've drafted one lineman in the top three rounds" Cerrato, and say you'd rather have VC.

That's ridiculous.

Who drafted the best Defensive End (Mario Williams) in football? Casserly.

Who drafted the best Wide Receiver (Andre Johnson) in football? Casserly.

Who drafted the best Cornerback (Champ Bailey) in football? Casserly.

Now whether you agree that these are the best NFL players at their position or not, you can't compare that body of work with Vinny "I've drafted one lineman in the top three rounds" Cerrato, and say you'd rather have VC.

Do we really need to go down this road? Really?

How about the "other" Andre Johnson--yep a 1st round pick we TRADED UP to get who never stepped on the field.

Shuler? Westbrook? Stubblefield? Big Daddy? Way overpaid for Brad Johsnon? ZERO development of mid/late round picks.

How about that FA class of 1993?

Leonard Marshall, Carl Banks, Al Noga, Tim McGee, Ethan Horton. Shall I continue?

How about the "other" Andre Johnson--yep a 1st round pick we TRADED UP to get who never stepped on the field.

Shuler? Westbrook? Stubblefield? Big Daddy? Way overpaid for Brad Johsnon? ZERO development of mid/late round picks.

Leonard Marshall, Carl Banks, Al Noga, Tim McGee, Ethan Horton. Shall I continue?

QFT. What I don't understand is that Casserly is arguably one of the biggest reasons why we had such a crappy decade in the 90s. As much crap as I give Vinny for essentially being Snyder's lapdog, for trading picks and for ignoring very important positions, when he makes picks he actually selects decent players. In fact, one could argue the reason why our defense is such a bright spot because basically, all of Vinny's energy and effort has been put into the defense.

The offense .. that's another story ... :doh:

As for the OP, I couldn't disagree more about the idea of hiring Beathard and Casserly. We really need to stop it with this idea of looking to our past to fix our present and future. Beathard and Casserly are things of the past for us, and we need to move on and find a young guy who can stay here for a long time and establish a foundation. As for Grimm, I'm not sure. It sounds great, having a Hog being our head coach, and I look at a place like Miami or Baltimore to see you don't need coordinating experience to be a solid head coach. What others have mentioned, and I agree with, is the question if Grimm has the personality to lead a team through the tough times and to keep them together. The ability to come down hard on them and light a fire underneath them to motivate them, but be a guy they can all embrace and play for at the same time. That's what we need in a HC.

Continue all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Casserly is WAAAAAAAAY more qualified to run a NFL franchise than Vinny Cerrato ever will be.

Plus, sometimes people get better at their jobs. Look at Bill Belichick's first go-around as head coach with Cleveland. You are mentioning all the things that happened in the early to late 90s, I'm mentioning things that happened pas 1999.

Continue all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Casserly is WAAAAAAAAY more qualified to run a NFL franchise than Vinny Cerrato ever will be.

Plus, sometimes people get better at their jobs. Look at Bill Belichick's first go-around as head coach with Cleveland. You are mentioning all the things that happened in the early to late 90s, I'm mentioning things that happened pas 1999.

What exactly makes Casserly more qualified than Cerrato? I'm not a Vinny apologist, I hate Vinny. But he's been a much more successful drafter, and is partially the reason why we have such a good quality defense. With Casserly at the helm, everything sucked all across the board. Plus, with Vinny's 1st rounders, we haven't had legit a bust. Casserly? The list of 1st round busts is long for that man.

And also, please tell me you didn't try to use Belichick as a reason why Casserly is a better option ... :doh: Completely different scenarios.

I think Grimm would be a great coach like his boss in AZ, or Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Trick is...you need a strong GM.

If you get that GM that keeps the owner apart from the players and day to day...and gives Grimm 3 years to rebuild the OL and get depth all over. I think we would have some smashmouth here.

Mmmmmm, Smashmouth!!!! lol

What exactly makes Casserly more qualified than Cerrato? I'm not a Vinny apologist, I hate Vinny. But he's been a much more successful drafter, and is partially the reason why we have such a good quality defense. With Casserly at the helm, everything sucked all across the board. Plus, with Vinny's 1st rounders, we haven't had legit a bust. Casserly? The list of 1st round busts is long for that man.

And also, please tell me you didn't try to use Belichick as a reason why Casserly is a better option ... :doh: Completely different scenarios.

The scenarios are different, but he point remains the same. Sometimes people get just better at their jobs. Casserly's record was not strong in Washington. Belichick's record was not strong in Cleveland. But Casserly started a new franchise from the ground up and laid the groundwork to make it competitive. And we know what BB did in New England.

I'm not saying Casserly is the GM equivalent of Belichick. What I am saying is, CC took an expansion team and built a solid, talented, competitive foundation. That team is a playoff contender.

Vinny took a team with some talented players, unlimited financial resources, and a Hall of Fame coach, and sunk it lower than whale poop. And that's at the bottom of the ocean.

I understand you don't like Casserly. But to tell me that Vinny is better is ridiculous. The example of not adequately addressing the offensive line for the past three years (and especially this past offseason, signing Dock and praying that no one else gets hurt is NOT adequate) is all i need to know about that man's football savvy.

Gregg Williams has the respect of the players. No one else is going to get that unless they are immediately successful. Gregg Williams is exactly what this team needs.

He worked for Gibbs for 4 years. He is 5 years younger than Zorn. He has loyalty to the team. That is something Gruden, Cowher, Shanahan or other could not bring to the table.

Perfect situation in my opinion is Gregg as HC with Gruden as OC. That combo could win with this roster with the addition of a QB and a couple of O-linemen.

Never happen. Gregggg was interviewed SIX times by Snyderatto last year and then they fired him. Why? Because he refused to back down on wanting Todd Collins to start and refused to be a suck-up to Danny. That's how you move up on this team, by sucking up to Snyder.

Face it, Snyder has alienated just about everybody who has ever worked for this team in any capacity. Soon he will have to coach the team himself!

Beathard and Gibbs did not see eye to eye and it eventually resulted in Beathard's departure as GM. The riff was that Gibbs was fiercely loyal to his older players and tended to hold onto them while Beathard was constantly trying to infuse youth into the lineup. I could see Gibbs and Casserly working together although I personally never thought much of his GM skills. All that said, I believe Joe Gibbs is out of the NFL for good.

PRIDE. I've met him a few times. GREAT GUY..FUN GUY. Knows how to Bond a team. Produced some good lines at Steelers/Cards. Knows the identity of the skins. Again..run to pass. Coached TE,OL and is "Assitant Head Coach" now. I'm sure he's not living in a vacume...

I know he'd feild a team with HEART and thats all I care about. Defense has it..Offense is too laid back...Sellers won't block for "P". The wideouts don't fight to get open and TE's can't pickup blitz..AND

ZORN WON"T let Cambell audible AT ALL...stays with the called play even when ya see the corners coming...

Archived