Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bring back Casserly & Beathard and HIRE RUSS GRIMM as Coach!

The Hangman- C_Hanburger

Been a fanatic since Allen- Chris/Talbert...Over The Hill Gang.

I pay $300 a year for DTV so I can watch em from Florida (previously a skins fan in Dallas)

THIS HAS BEEN HARD FOR ME TO WATCH...dating to Johnson throwing that interception in TAMPA when Norm was the coach.

Skins used to be FUN. We'd ride our HOGS to Training Camp and stay in the dorms and party with the guys at night...They USED to be FUN...

BRING BACK RUSS!!!!

I think Grimm would be a great coach like his boss in AZ, or Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Trick is...you need a strong GM.

If you get that GM that keeps the owner apart from the players and day to day...and gives Grimm 3 years to rebuild the OL and get depth all over. I think we would have some smashmouth here.

I've been on the Russ Grimm campaign for awhile now.

I think something must have gone down between him and Snyder at some point. IIRC, he was fired by Norv before the 2000 season. Not that Norv wasn't fond of making scapegoats.

That just makes too much sense. Here's a spin. What if Gibbs buys part ownership in the team, takes over Team President role. Gets Bethard to tutor M. Brown, then hires Grimm as HC.

M. Brown is respected in this league as a talent evaluator. When you instal a GM you're going to have to promote him to keep him around. He doesn't have to be the GM, but he'll need to be in the leadership structure somehow.

Good god we have to stop living in the past. Beathard is a retired surfer. Casserly is doing well in his TV gig and as much as I loved Russ Grimm wearing #68, smashmouth football died in the 80's. The Giants, Eagles and Pukes throw the ball around. Throwing gave the Rams, Colts, Steelers and Patriots their Super Bowls. Get a compitent GM (DeCosta or someone like him) let him pick a coach and let him rebuild the O-line and find a good QB to throw the ball.

This team has gone the retread route too many times, we need new blood...and new brains.

Beathard would NEVER come back here after Snyder low-balled him with his salary offer in 2002. He only offered Beathard half of what Beathard expected, so Bobby hopped back on a plane and went surfing.

Snyder has alienated too many of the old school Redskins and alumni. Hell, he never even tried to get Sammy Baugh to visit DC!!

Good god we have to stop living in the past. Beathard is a retired surfer. Casserly is doing well in his TV gig and as much as I loved Russ Grimm wearing #68, smashmouth football died in the 80's. The Giants, Eagles and Pukes throw the ball around. Throwing gave the Rams, Colts, Steelers and Patriots their Super Bowls. Get a compitent GM (DeCosta or someone like him) let him pick a coach and let him rebuild the O-line and find a good QB to throw the ball.

To be fair, Grimm would be coming from a pass happy Cardinals team. And the Steelers teams he was on were very good.

He probably would hire a competant OC to run the offense.

I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I think we should start a new era... Eric DeCosta is top on my list. Him and Dan together can work on hiring a coach.

Then the coach and GM together can hire his staff, with the coach getting the final say of who is on his staff...

I don't understand the structure of Dan and Vinny and what they were doing before?

I've been on the Russ Grimm campaign for awhile now.

I think something must have gone down between him and Snyder at some point. IIRC, he was fired by Norv before the 2000 season. Not that Norv wasn't fond of making scapegoats.

Norv also fired Charley Taylor, along with countless Defensive coordinators.

And people talk about "the good ol' days."

Lets be honest, Casserly was not very good for us in the 1990s. I have no idea where he gets so much love from.

Hire a Team President, and let him set the organizational tone

Because he is looking a lot better now than he did then. Plus, he got canned from the Texans for taking WIlliams over Bush, but that actually turned out to be the smarter draft pick.

Have you guys ever heard Grimm in an interview -- boring. I love the idea of one of the Hogs and all the images it conveys but the few times I've heard Grimm speak, he didn't come across like a fiery guy at all. Maybe that's not necessary but its something that always surprised me because I envisioned Grimm to be a Singletary type and he came across the opposite.

Because he is looking a lot better now than he did then. Plus, he got canned from the Texans for taking WIlliams over Bush, but that actually turned out to be the smarter draft pick.

The thing that hits me most with Casserly is how he missed on first round draft picks, in some cases high ones: Shuler, Desmond Howard, Westbrook, Andre Johnson. Heck Vinny for his faults hasn't done bad with most of his first rounders.

With the Texans arguably he was hit and miss. Carr for example was a bust. And If I recall Casserly was ultimately canned with the team going 2-14, and the Phillip Buchanon deal panned (their version of our lets say Brandon Lloyd deal but even worse) he dealt a 2nd and 3rd for him and that player ended up being a bust.

Love Casserly as a commentator, and he's clearly a smart guy, but if we want to reach the next level don't we need the best to compete with the best GM's like Reese, Pioli, etc -- can't think of anyone who says Casserly is up there with those guys. Be fun for nostalgic reasons but otherwise probably need to reach higher.

Gregg Williams is the correct answer. He can succeed here. Anyone else is unknown.

Unknown isn't necessarily bad, though. Look at Mike Smith or John Harbaugh. It takes a good organization behind them for any coach to succeed, and those two coaches happen to coach for two of the best.

I'm a big Gregg fan, but I just don't know if he's the kind of guy that makes a great coordinator (I mean GREAT) and just not a good head coach. Maybe he's grown since Buffalo, and maybe not.

Personally, I'd want to try to find the next young assistant to become a head coaching star and stay away from former head coaches if at all possible. Preferably someone with coordinator experience and play calling duties!

Unknown isn't necessarily bad, though. Look at Mike Smith or John Harbaugh. It takes a good organization behind them for any coach to succeed, and those two coaches happen to coach for two of the best.

I'm a big Gregg fan, but I just don't know if he's the kind of guy that makes a great coordinator (I mean GREAT) and just not a good head coach. Maybe he's grown since Buffalo, and maybe not.

Personally, I'd want to try to find the next young assistant to become a head coaching star and stay away from former head coaches if at all possible. Preferably someone with coordinator experience and play calling duties!

Gregg Williams has the respect of the players. No one else is going to get that unless they are immediately successful. Gregg Williams is exactly what this team needs.

He worked for Gibbs for 4 years. He is 5 years younger than Zorn. He has loyalty to the team. That is something Gruden, Cowher, Shanahan or other could not bring to the table.

Perfect situation in my opinion is Gregg as HC with Gruden as OC. That combo could win with this roster with the addition of a QB and a couple of O-linemen.

Lets be honest, Casserly was not very good for us in the 1990s. I have no idea where he gets so much love from.

Hire a Team President, and let him set the organizational tone

It is called Snyder Syndrome. If Dan treats you like crap, people sympathize with you and soon forget how bad you really were.

terpskins,

You touched on one of my only issues with Grimm. He's hasn't been a coordinator.

That said, he could come on as head coach and have an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator as well as a special teams coordinator and he acts as the overseer. That would be a good role for him. After Zorn, anyone without playcalling experience coming in and calling anything scares me.

Archived