Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len P.: Parcells makes example of Keith Davis

Fitz

Gee, who could have seen this coming? :rolleyes: I love the quote from Jerrah...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1585870.html

Tuna axes Davis after shooting, sends message

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

SAN ANTONIO -- It didn't take long for Bill Parcells to deliver the Dallas Cowboys his first message of training camp and, not surprisingly, it came with deeds and not words.

The Cowboys confirmed Saturday that the club waived safety Keith Davis, a second-year veteran, on Friday night.

Davis, 24, had been involved in a June 29 incident in which he was shot three times as he stood outside a Dallas topless bar. His injuries -- two wounds in his left arm and another in his hip -- were not sufficient enough to keep Davis from being cleared physically for camp.

They were more than enough, though, to earn him a pink slip.

Parcells denied Davis was released as a direct result of that incident or because he wanted to use the young player as an example, but the Cowboys head coach had repeatedly told his players in the offseason that he would not tolerate off-field indiscretions. Just two weeks ago, owner Jerry Jones acknowledged that Davis had jeopardized his chances of making the roster because of the incident.

Conventional wisdom had been that Davis, a role player in 2002, would not be around for long after the shooting. While he did nothing to provoke the incident, and was regarded as an unwitting victim, Dallas officials believed Davis should not have placed himself in a questionable situation.

"I've told our guys that night clubs are not the place to be," Parcells said. "And I intend to have pretty good citizens around here."

His coach's denials aside, Jones allowed that the decision to release Davis likely was aimed at making an impact on players who might not have taken Parcells' admonitions to heart.

"I'd say, yes, there's some of that involved," Jones said. "If you want to play, and earn a spot among the 53 players on the (regular-season) roster, then we expect you to conduct yourself in a certain manner."

Jones had previously described Davis as "a good kid, but maybe not a good listener."

Davis made the Dallas practice squad initially, and subsequently the active roster, in '02 as an undrafted free agent. The former Sam Houston State standout appeared in eight games and recorded five tackles from scrimmage, with two quarterback pressures, and one pass defensed. He also had eight special teams tackles.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Archived