Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys cheerleader, FAIL

Spaceman Spiff

Should the two girls dressed as Mexicans get in trouble too? Blackface isn't just the act of putting on makeup to make yourself look black. There is much more to it which I believe is included in the wikipedia link Patrick gave. I don't see a problem with what she did. But I'm white so my opinion on it doesn't matter. ;)

I don't see the problem either. People need to get over that. It's not like she rubbed coal on her face, put on red lipstick, and did a little dance for the white people. She dressed up as a popular black celebrity.

And um...

white_chicks_verdvd.jpg

where is the outrage?

Hardly a big deal. I thought the girls in the Mexican costumes were amusing as well. Just seems like a real reach on the political correctness front, especially since this was just her going to a little party at a friends' house.

I also think I made a better Lil Wayne last year.

I don't see the problem either. People need to get over that. It's not like she rubbed coal on her face, put on red lipstick, and did a little dance for the white people.

I don't know. Do you have to do that for it to be offensive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjRGXMFGIcQ

:hysterical: Mammie! How I love ya, how I love ya, Mammie!

--

On a serious note, you notice that even when white characters on sketch comedies play dark-skinned black figures, they still only go "tan?"

I think dressing up in brown-face is actually indicative of how the skin color of a black person is still seen as first and most significant. If a black dude dressed up like Steve Irwin and went around speaking like an Aussie with a "Croc" next to his side that he occasionally wrestled, would he need to "lighten" his skin for the part? No.

If he dressed up like Superman and put a little curl on his forehead, would he have to lighten his skin? No. Basically, you could go down the line---there's no need to mess with the skin color to achieve recognition.

So, unlike all the other people in the thread, I'd still say if I saw this I'd have a problem with it and would let her know, too. I'm surprising her black fellow partygoers were cool with it. It's nice that people are less politically correct but there's a difference between political orthodoxy being used as a tool to oppress people and bully them into silence and engaging in historically humiliating racial caricature to achieve an "authentic" look for a Halloween costume.

But what do I know, I'm just a light-skinnedED mulatto with mostly "good" hair and black relatives and friends.

Archived