Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'Skins looking at Gilbert Brown, Ted Washington as alternatives to Wilky

goldenster95

Gilbert Brown isn't really starting quality anymore. I don't think the Skins would feel comfortable starting the season with Noble and Haley at DT with Brown behind them on the bench. That's ugly. Fat and ugly.

Ted Washington -- correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he in his mid 30s, way overweight and often injured?

this is an interesting idea... really hope BDW is on the team though. a lot of talk about him being in great shape and excited about the new season (but doesn't everybody say that?).

anybody consider him as possible trade-bait for say a young DT and another player? or might his high-salary be enough to dissuade teams to purse him? or is he really not very good? are trades even allowed right now?

about gilbert brown.. that's tough, but i have to imagine he isn't in football shape (wonder if he ever really has been?) and would therefore take a bit longer to be ready to contribute, but if he could drop FIFTY pounds we would need a quick, pass rushing DT to really take advantage of his skills. don't really think he would help us more than BDW does...

but then again, if we could have two plugs in the middle of the line that would really free up our LB's to make a lot of plays... and out LB's are one of our best units. along with solid play of the defensive secondary (pretty sure we'll be great if Smoot can stay healthy and Bowen proves to be a mistake-free S) that could be a succesful defense.

what are the odds brown can actually stay healthy and contribute for a whole season?

Ted Washington played outstanding football for the Bears just two years ago. He's 35 and weighs around 330. Is that too old and too fat? Who knows. Is Big Daddy's annual flirtation with 20 tackles really all that vaulable considering the options? He's only hear til the end of the year anyway, so what difference would it make?

Gilbert Brown? I don't know that there's enough Hostess Snack Cakes in the DC area to sustain his daily sugar intake.

I'd rather keep Wilkinson, and re-do his deal to add about 2 years to it. But, if he's going to play the hard-ass, I don't see any difference between he and a guy like Washington for one year.

But Noble and Haley? No thanks. That is WEAK. If Big daddy departs, SOMEONE has to be signed. period.

~Bang

I don't know that anyone can say Brown isn't really starting quality anymore. He's been a starter in all but one of the games he's played in the last six years. I think he's certainly of starting quality. However, he is just as certainly a limited-down kind of player. He's often injured and misses time. He provides, of course, no pass rush at all and he, like Noble and like Haley, seem to be the same sort of player. Clog it up the best you can in the middle and that's about it. We'd certainly appear to have a stiff middle of the line for run defense if we were to go this way, but I just don't see the value in going with guys who are essentially the same as the No. 2 and No. 3 options we already have. Both Washington and Brown are that, and so is Traylor for that matter, though Traylor is a bit more active -- or has been of late -- that he's capable of making plays in the backfield from time to time.

Ultimately while Big Daddy is a different sort of player, he was not that good at all a year ago and if he's ONLY that good again it probably doesn't hurt us to get rid of him even for a part-time player like Gilbert Brown or Ted Washington. The question though is if he is more than that again. If he's as good as he was in 2001 for a stretch I don't think we'll get that from the other guys we'd consider. In terms of run defense I think we'd probably be even better, but, Wilkinson can generate pressure from the interior eventhough he's been pulled out on passing downs the last three years.

I don't know....3.5 million for 17 tackles and NO sacks?

I would rather have Brown or Washington instead.

If I am not mistaken both of the aforementioned players have in fact played at a very high level in the past. In my mind it would be worth the risk to "platoon" them in there in obvious running situations.

If BDW is not re-signed and they sign Gilbert Brown, I think it would be a good move. I know GB is overweight and has been hurt a lot in recent years, but they won't be overpaying for him and he and Noble in tandem WILL stop the run. He could be a valuable contributor as a part-time run stopper. Plus, I must admit, I love watching the Big Man wreak havoc on a offensive line. I'd enjoy it even more if he were doing it as a Redskin.

Speaking of DT's, does anyone know the status of Sam Adams? I've lost track of him. Also, regarding DE's: Is Michael McCrary well enough to play? Does he have anything left? I'm asking because I know he was released by the Ravens but that's all I know about his present condition and circumstances. Thanks in advance.

I keep thinking (although some will dispite this) what we should be doing is to make some kind of offer to BDW:

I'm thinking something like a $1.2M salary, fully guaranteed, and one additional year, at something reasonable like $1.5M. (Maybe a smaller salary, but some kind of roster bonus in the 2nd year.)

BDW gets a smaller salary, but it's guaranteed, and he knows he's not going to be looking for a job after everybody else's roster's been firmed up. He also knows that if he gets cut next year, it'll be before that roster bonus kicks in, so he'll have time to check the "Help Wanted"s. (And, the salary's still bigger than he's likely to get elsewhere.) He also knows that this is likely his last year in DC (although, if he has a "contract year", that could change), so it might provide him some motive to make some highlight reels.

The Skins get to go through camp without wondering if all this time we're spending trying to build chemistry on the DL is just going to be wasted. The new contract saves us over $2M in salary this year, and moves some of his dead money into the cap vacancy we've created (and out of '04, where it may interfere with resigning Champ).

And, both BDW and the team get another year of continuity.

Originally posted by Sonny Joe Hog

If BDW is not re-signed and they sign Gilbert Brown, I think it would be a good move. I know GB is overweight and has been hurt a lot in recent years, but they won't be overpaying for him and he and Noble in tandem WILL stop the run. He could be a valuable contributor as a part-time run stopper. Plus, I must admit, I love watching the Big Man wreak havoc on a offensive line. I'd enjoy it even more if he were doing it as a Redskin.

Packer fan here guys,let me way in on something for some other teamer views here.

On "Big Gil" :

http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.html

According to his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, Brown is down to his college weight of around 325 pounds working with a personal trainer.

and his injury last year was because of getting a hit in the back of the knee from Jeff Christy(helmet to the back of the knee on purpose) until that time Big Gil had no problems with injuries last year. If you guys sign him ,you would be getting one hell of a player ,not to mention a very classy team player at that. (and I would imaging if you guys cut BDW we would be looking at him btw) He is used a run stopper,noting more,nothing less.

However, according to Cletidus Hunt

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=1376226&nav=51s6H75h

"I just talked to the big man last night and he said he was looking forward to coming back, probably Monday or Tuesday," Packers defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt said. "They just have some things to work out, and hopefully they resolve that."

Originally posted by brandies

They should sign both Brown and Washington for something like 1.5 million total. Then resign Champ.

Not a bad idea, I'm for cutting BDW if it means we can resign Champ. Who knows maybe with the added bulk Greg Scott can contribute at the DT spot & be more of a "pocket pusher".

Originally posted by BTP

Packer fan here guys,let me way in on something for some other teamer views here.

On "Big Gil" :

http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.html

According to his agent, Roosevelt Barnes, Brown is down to his college weight of around 325 pounds working with a personal trainer.

and his injury last year was because of getting a hit in the back of the knee from Jeff Christy(helmet to the back of the knee on purpose) until that time Big Gil had no problems with injuries last year. If you guys sign him ,you would be getting one hell of a player ,not to mention a very classy team player at that. (and I would imaging if you guys cut BDW we would be looking at him btw) He is used a run stopper,noting more,nothing less.

However, according to Cletidus Hunt

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=1376226&nav=51s6H75h

"I just talked to the big man last night and he said he was looking forward to coming back, probably Monday or Tuesday," Packers defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt said. "They just have some things to work out, and hopefully they resolve that."

Thanks for the "inside" 'nfo, BTP. Stick around. :D

For those of you that have been complaining about Wilky being fat and old, here's a news flash: Washington and Brown are fatter and older. The Skins need to work this deal out with Big Daddy and move on. Make him an offer that reduces his salary, but still pays him more than he could get on the market. I also don't think that the only way we can resign Champ is to cut Wilky.

If Gilbert Brown doesnt resign with the Pack, id offer him a contract.

He wouldnt be a full time starter but id use him on rushing downs. Him and Noble clogging the middle? No way that either wouldnt get a double team. Brown just doesnt have enough gas anymore to play full time.

I like Big Daddy, but I have to ask, does he really fit our system? Big Daddy is obviously huge and strong, but his forte lies in his short area up the field quickness. He's a gap shooter, and when allowed to do this, he's damn good, and some say one of the better ones in the league.

But you can't have just one gap shooter, everyone needs to be a gap shooter, so that you can reestablish the line of scrimage behind the ball. Otherwise, you just create cut-back lanes, and teams will run right through the middle.

I agree that Big Daddy is far and away better then what is out there, but if our system only requires the DT to occupy lineman, then Big Daddy's skills won't be put to full use, so maybe we can go with less.

Though we have to say this for Big Daddy ... besides the fact I think he's good ... he's durable. He's played more snaps over the last 4-5 years then any DT in the league. That is a good trait.

Wilkinson is the last of the fat money contracts the Redskins gave away in previous years to overrated free agents and trades.

With all the money the team through down the sewer for Stubby and BDW the team could have signed a true dream team on the DL :(

Archived