Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skaggs paid a visit by THE TURK

Buddha

The receiving corps is just too deep with Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, McCants, Johnson, and Russell for Skaggs to have a prayer. It's better for him to be released now while he has a chance to catch on somewhere else. Besides, the Skins need the camp roster spot for players to compete at positions where the talent doesn't go so deep. Swapping Skaggs, who doesn't have a prayer of making the team, for Holsey, who might, is just smart football.

Okay, I'll be devils advocate. Of all the players mentioned ahead of Skaggs, only 2 of them are proven talents in this league - Coles and Gardner. Where's the depth you speak of. We're deep with unknowns, is what we're deep at. Consider this scenario possibility, which isnt out of the question : Coles and/or Gardner get injured. Russell continues his injury-prone record, or just finds out he never recovered from his last injury. Patrick Johnson finds out his speed alone wont get him open or get him catches. Jacobs goes thru the rookie mistake phase. McCants who showed some flashes last year, finds out he's not a legitmate threat everbody dreamed he'd be. Then what are we left with ? To say that Skaggs didnt have prayer of making the team is stretching it quite a bit.

Originally posted by Mick

Okay, I'll be devils advocate. Of all the players mentioned ahead of Skaggs, only 2 of them are proven talents in this league - Coles and Gardner. Where's the depth you speak of. We're deep with unknowns, is what we're deep at. Consider this scenario possibility, which isnt out of the question : Coles and/or Gardner get injured. Russell continues his injury-prone record, or just finds out he never recovered from his last injury. Patrick Johnson finds out his speed alone wont get him open or get him catches. Jacobs goes thru the rookie mistake phase. McCants who showed some flashes last year, finds out he's not a legitmate threat everbody dreamed he'd be. Then what are we left with ? To say that Skaggs didnt have prayer of making the team is stretching it quite a bit.

Oh no, not the depth thing again. :gus:

Cue EM and Art...:silly:

Skaggs was a great underdog story two years ago. I rooted for him last year and he had a very poor preseason. There was little reason for Spurrier to believe in him. He fumbled and had a number of drops when given an opportunity. He played pretty well in NFLE however, I will miss him because he was a kid who game from nowhere, was given no chance, and for a moment shone. It would have been nice if there was a better ending... but alas when wearing glass slippers one is bound to cut.

Guest Trevor

I'm glad he's gone. 2 plus years of hearing Redskins fans talk about him was way more than enough. Have fun in the CFL.

Originally posted by Trevor

I'm glad he's gone. 2 plus years of hearing Redskins fans talk about him was way more than enough. Have fun in the CFL.

Get used to it. Skins fans sing the same tune every year. Same tune, different year, and different player. It's the nature of the fans.

I liked Skaggs because he came out of nowhere and overachieved.

In an era of over-paid candy ass players, he came as close to "blue collar" as you can these days. I liked watching him hustle in camp ALL the time. Tha could not be said of some of the rest of the more "pedi-greed" players.

I cannot help but root for a player like that.

he gave the impression that he was actually grateful for the opportunity to compete.

'nuff said.

I liked the Skaggs story - kid comes out of a tiny Christian school in rural Missouri to make an NFL roster. And in training camp last year, the first two guys on the field exercising (as opposed to on the field fartin' around) were Skaggs and that old CB, Darrell Green.

But having said that, I just didn't see Skaggs over a guy like McCants, for example, who's got the size and reasonable speed. Skaggs wasn't going to make it as a punter returner (he muffed a number in camp - and so did most everyone).

The real underdog story is Kenny Watson. Why nobody's latched on to him as the 'beloved underdog', I don't know.

I think Watson never got that beloved underdog treatment because of the Betts situation. Despite the fact that he was a high draft pick, the seeming doghousing and questioning of the actual pick made a lot of people want him to prove the Redskins right for picking him. Thus, the draftpick kind of became the underdog even when compared to the undrafted guy.

I have to asks, what WR's do we have fighting it out after the top 6: Coles/Gardner/Jacobs/McCants & Russell/Johnson ?

Of this group, I see the first 4 as set in stone, even if injury takes hold, they all stick. Russell is like a Rookie ... and Johnson is no sure thing.

If Skaggs is the top of WR's 7-10, I think it was a mistake to cut him so early, just to be nice. Injuries happen ... both Russell and Johnson have missed significant time for injuries in the pros and college ... and both are smaller guys.

Also, who's to say that the one of the last two might not fall on their face, and force the team to part ways? What if they skins saff their roster in ways at other positions that they need their 6th WR to be a specail teams guy?

In the end, perhaps this move is an indication that some of the other unknown guys behind Skaggs are better then we thought, and at a similar stage in their development and potential????

I'm sure the fact that Skaggs is out of P-Squad eligibility hurt him with us.

I dont thinkits fair to say that no one has clinged to Watson. There have been many threads saying that Watson is the best back on the team or that he shouldn't be cut. He has a kinda similar story as Skaggs except he performed in regular season games too. I think most of the fans were satisfied with having a watson-betts battle or combination going into the year. We went and signed Candidate and Morton and I dont feel comfortable with either being on the depth chart ahead of Watson or Betts.

Archived