Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How can we blame Vinny if Snyder hired Zorn and Gibbs drafted JC?

BurgundyBooger

Now, don't get me wrong: I think Vinny needs to go, as well, for failing to address the O-line situation. However, that is 1/3 of the issue, the other 2 being our quarterback and our inexperienced head coach. Neither of which can be rightfully placed on Vinny's blame sheet.

Snyder also interviewed Jim Mora, Jim Fassel, Steve Mariucci, Ron Meeks, Pete Carroll, Jim Schwartz, Washington assistant Gregg Williams and others. Snyder decided to give Zorn a shot because the owner said he had been impressed during Zorn's interview.

Zorn, called to Snyder's house for lunch on Thursday, said he gasped when the owner asked him whether he was interested in the head coaching job.

"I was a bit taken back, if you will," Zorn said. "I wasn't speechless, because my first words were: 'Certainly, I'd like to do that.' "

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004175691_zorn11.html

My question is this: Has Vinny really been given 2 years to field his own winning team? I cannot really see how that's the case if he's adopted someone else's quarterback and the owner hired the head coach himself...

Now, don't get me wrong: I think Vinny needs to go, as well, for failing to address the O-line situation. However, that is 1/3 of the issue, the other 2 being our quarterback and our inexperienced head coach. Neither of which can be rightfully placed on Vinny's blame sheet.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2004175691_zorn11.html

My question is this: Has Vinny really been given 2 years to field his own winning team? I cannot really see how that's the case if he's adopted someone else's quarterback and the owner hired the head coach himself...

Snyder hasn't said anything. Snyder has been silent. Do I think Snyder has had a hand? Yes, absolutely.

However, there have been just as many reports saying that Cerrato was the one who was pushing for Zorn. Cerrato is the one who has ignored the line. Cerrato has been the one in front of the camera and on the radio...

Oh yeah -- Cerrato was also the impetus behind the WCO switch...which was mind boggling in it's "WTF?!" Factor

Snyder hasn't said anything. Snyder has been silent. Do I think Snyder has had a hand? Yes, absolutely.

However, there have been just as many reports saying that Cerrato was the one who was pushing for Zorn. Cerrato is the one who has ignored the line. Cerrato has been the one in front of the camera and on the radio...

Oh yeah -- Cerrato was also the impetus behind the WCO switch...which was mind boggling in it's "WTF?!" Factor

Not according to this article...

The Redskins began their search for a new coach on Jan. 9, following Gibbs’ decision to retire. Snyder, Executive Vice President for Football Operations Vinny Cerrato, and other team officials evaluated more than 50 potential candidates for the head coaching job over two days and selected 10 for interviews, which began Jan. 10.

"We knew of Jim’s stellar offensive reputation, so we hired him as coordinator, but we also suspected he would be a strong candidate for head coach,” Snyder said. "After our first six-hour interview, I told Joe [Gibbs], 'this guy would make a terrific head coach.' "

http://was.scout.com/2/728019.html

Can anyone present similar evidence to the contrary?

Vinny was involved in the decision to hire Zorn and while it's hard to say how much influence Vinny had in drafting JC, I doubt that Gibbs made the decision entirely on his own.

On top of that Vinny has made serious blunders all on his own. For instance if we had, like most people expected, drafted Calais Campbell instead of Fred Davis we would now have a pretty decent young DE aswell as the 2nd and 6th round draft picks that were wasted on Jason Taylor.

Gibbs, we have always known is lousy with personnel decisions. That was even the case his first go-around.

Vinny was the one who kept bringing up Zorn to Snyder. Even said himself on the radio, after every interview, that they should consider "promoting" Zorn. I remember his stupid radio cadence even. Pretzel Boy would "What do you think about insert name of interviewee" and Bugeyes would just respond "Zorn... Zorn... "

Nevermind Vinny's other shortcomings in his tenure.

Gibbs, we have always known is lousy with personnel decisions. That was even the case his first go-around.

Vinny was the one who kept bringing up Zorn to Snyder. Even said himself on the radio, after every interview, that they should consider "promoting" Zorn. I remember his stupid radio cadence even. Pretzel Boy would "What do you think about insert name of interviewee" and Bugeyes would just respond "Zorn... Zorn... "

Nevermind Vinny's other shortcomings in his tenure.

I have heard that as well, and I believe I read it as well, however can't find it. So take it for what it's worth...

Putting him in the WCO: Vinny's fault.

Trading for Jason Taylor: Vinny's fault.

We made the playoffs under Gibbs...what have we done under Vinny (w/o Gibbs)

No one said Vinny>Gibbs that would be a ridiculous comment. Point is, Jason's a failure and that one's on Gibbs. And maybe even Vinny too, who knows.

Let's face it, we need a new coach, QB and OL. This can't be fixed in one season, so lets start in the draft with the line. We need to give JC his walking papers and see if we have a QB in Colt or Chase. Todd also needs to be let go. We can't build with old players. I don't know if our draft picks from the last two drafts are any good or not, so lets play them and see. We need to rebuild and we need to start now. I'm still not sure of what we should do about CP. If he can last the season out and pick up 800 or 900 yards he may be good trade bate. CP is a good football player but he has lost a lot of speed over the last three years. I hate to say this but win or not we need to use this season to find out what we have the the O side of the ball. I don't know if any other fans see things this way but for me it's lets start fresh now....

The degrading of the O-line goes back to the Gibbs policy of trading away draft picks. It didn't begin in 2008.

vinny had 16 draft picks in two years and two free agency periods to address the line... he used a 3rd round pick on a guy that can not work his way into a woeful line, and picked up dockery and fabini in FA...

there's no excuse for his two years of neglect...

well...I dont know all the behind things that take place...most dont...but from what I do know..Marty wanted Vinny out... and rumors have it...shanny would only take the skins job if vinny left packing...I dont know ...I'm thinking two top head coaches might know something more than we know...is vinnys presence hurting our chances for a top head coach being a part of the skins team? why would marty and mike both want vinny out?

not to mention he has yet to address our Oline

Zorn is the first head coach that Vinny had a hand in hiring. Just about every football decision made in the past couple of years have been owned by Vinny.

Oldfan is correct that OL problem has been a longer-term issue and Vinny isn't responsible for it being as bad as it is right now, since other people were making the priority list previously. He also wasn't the one who made the decision to trade up and draft Campbell, tho he was involved in the decision to move to the WCO, which the jury is still out if that was the best thing for Campbell.

Things are still very much up in the air for Vinny. The way he's managed Zorn has been pretty poor, but if it ends up working out, he could come out of this smelling like a rose.

How about - Vinny is a crutch for Snyder, part of his company group set on painting a too-rosy picture of the Redskins prospects. Snyder needs someone who truly understands football and not a league joke like VC. VC was fired from the 49ers in 1999 who he likes to brag about helping to a Super Bowl.

It would be best if Vinny is fired, in my opinion, but if Snyder gets a good GM and cedes full control, it's up to that GM - I would be fine with that. I expect that Vinnie is a bit too poisonous to have around though.

tho he was involved in the decision to move to the WCO, which the jury is still out if that was the best thing for Campbell.

Things are still very much up in the air for Vinny. The way he's managed Zorn has been pretty poor, but if it ends up working out, he could come out of this smelling like a rose.

I think the jury has reached its verdict.

How people still think this could "work out" amazes me. We have two guys starting on the O-Line that did not play last season and we now play teams that have won games. Think about that. Not a single team we had played had won a game until they played us. We gave 4 teams their 1st win in 6 weeks.

I think the jury has reached its verdict.

How people still think this could "work out" amazes me. We have two guys starting on the O-Line that did not play last season and we now play teams that have won games. Think about that. Not a single team we had played had won a game until they played us. We gave 4 teams their 1st win in 6 weeks.

While there are games to be played, there is always a chance to turn things around.

BTW, I don't know who the second guy is. If you are talking about Monty, he was on NFL rosters last year, between the Jets and the Redskins.

Archived