Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newman still unsigned; Greg Ellis on crack

Looks like 'em Boys are having a tough time signing Newman . . .

The funny part of this article, however, is about Greg Ellis and his view on a signing bonus for a contract extension . . .

Holliday's three-year deal averages $4 million and includes a $3 million signing bonus. Ellis wants a bonus comparable to the $10 million that left tackle Flozell Adams received last spring. :laugh:

I say give it to him . . . in fact, add another $5 million to that bonus . . . c'mon Jerrah . . .

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dallas/cowboys/stories/072403dnspocowlede.725ab.html

I recall Chrisful telling me it was a zero chance that Newman would be a problem in siging. Granted it's still early for signings of rookies (the usual sloff last about 3 weeks on the average, I guess, so it's still likely he'll do it. However, unlike the LaVar Arrington signing or Chris Samuels, Newman's dealing with Parcells and although many may want to believe he doesn't have some huge say-so with Jerrah, I urge them to think again.

Parcells isn't limelight in dealing with one on one's. Not during negotiations as Parcells is close to the vest and also, getting worked up on cowpie dealings will only lead to being disappointed when they sign folks. My hopes up high on the Skins, not what the cowpies "can't" or "won't" do, cause just an inkling of their good news would only piss me off more.

Considering the Cowboys are still in a state of rebuilding - and they've been building a nice nucleus now that should be able to be compete in 2-3 years - I don't think it's imperative that Newman gets in to camp on time. It'll all get worked out. It always does.

And in the end.. no one remembers that Edgerrin James or Terrell Owens or Orlando Pace held out for awhile or missed team voluntary workouts.

I wish it did... but not from anything I've seen.

I want to believe Jerry Jones would laugh in Ellis' face at the mere suggestion. But I"m still floored they forked out that bonus to Adams. So until the Boys show signs of being just a little more frugal... I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I said there was a zero percent chance that the article about the really acrimonius negotiations with the unnamed top 10 pick was Newman, i believe. These negotiations aren't nasty, Newman's agent and the Cowboys are only about 1.5 million apart. Im not worried about it at all.

Ellis, however, needs someone to kick him in the back of the head. Solid DEs that get you 6-10 sacks per season are not as rare as he would have us to believe.

And why does everyone think Parcels is involved in negotiations? He's not. He has NO general manager duties. Those are still in Jerrah's hands.

Well, it's now being reported that Newman has signed (by the DallasCowboys.com writer Mickey Spagnola on the Ticket 1310 in Dallas), with a press conference scheduled for later this afternoon....

Archived