Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on moving to a 3-4 defense?

Oldskool

Ive been thinking about this alot since we didnt sign Gardener. We really have a NT in Noble, and with us possibly releasing Wilky next year (hopefully not this year) it seems logical to me.

Wynn Noble Upshaw

Arrington, Mitchell, Trotter, Armstead

As long as they stay healthy and we draft some young blood into the LB's that could be scary.

Thoughts?

You're right that Noble is a nosetackle sort of player. I don't think that means we'd go to a 3-4 defense or even really benefit from it on any regular basis. But, it probably does allow us to shift into it without warning as a wrinkle. That wrinkle worked beautifully for the Raiders last year as it totally threw teams off when they'd go to it.

I think the 3-4 is a dying breed. It almost seems that you need the extra lineman to keep the backers free to make plays. I know some teams still make that defense work but I think there are very few students of it left in the NFL and unless you really know what you are doing, the transition could be turn out to be a nightmare.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

Pierce reminds me a lot of Shawn Barber, fast and active.

Yeah, I'd like to see him get more playing time this year. Would be scary to see 2 OLB's as fast as Arrington and Pierce on the field at the same time. And, Marty actually gave Pierce an incredible compliment saying that he was the "smartest young football player I've ver coached". Not too shabby.

actually the DL for the 3-4 would probably end up being Wilkinson at RDE, Noble at NT and Wynn at LDE.

Wilkinson played DE early in his career at Cincinnati and didn't like it, although it was his best season before coming to the Skins. Perhaps he is too slow at 31 to return to the spot?

I do think Upshaw at just 260 is too small to man a DL spot in a 3-4. You like to see your DEs in the 3-4 up around 280 or 290.

Remember back to seeing ends like Leonard Marshall in the Giants three man line or Bruce Smith at 290 pounds earlier in his career in Buffalo.

I don't think we have the personnel up front to be able to pull it off. Give me a dominant fat-ass at DT and maybe we could do it with Wynn and Upshaw on the ends.

If some of these younger LB's we have, especially some of those undrafted guys from this year, develop and we draft a mammoth for the middle next year, this might be plausible in the next few years.

Archived