Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Only Thing Dumber Than the Redskins FO? The "Fan Revolt" Reaction...

kleese

The ONLY thing (and I truly believe this) that can really change the culture at Redskins Park is if Danny sells-- if you think you can convince him to do that, then go for it. But just trying to convince him to hire a GM or President you like isn't really solving the problem.

I never said anything about him hiring a GM that will solve the problem. I don't think that is necessarily the ONLY answer. I think it is a conundrum & there are many things that have to change. We need a new GM, we need the Danny to stay out of football ops., we need Danny to listen to his talent scouts & not undermine them because the new toy is out & it's expensive which means you know it's good. We need ALL NEW PERSONNEL! We need a NEW ATTITUDE & we aren't going to get there if we keep on keepin' on the way we have. Enough is enough. If he refuses to change his ways on his own, then I think it is time that the fans force the issue collectively.

THE change I would like? I want Ted Leonsis to buy this team & do the same thing here that he did to our Capitals. Wipe the slate clean, collect draft picks for who you can & then start rebuilding thru the draft. I would say to start rebuilding from the farm clubs, but...yes, it will take longer to get to the top again, but at this point, it looks like it's going to be years before we get there anyway, if ever.

Without fans a franchise is worth nothing. We have a huge amount of power and influence, the only thing that holds us back is that we can never agree how to use it.

A fan revolt may seem like tilting at windmills but actually the only thing stopping it from working is people that don't think it will work.

I'm fed up as well...I just don't think anything we do will make a difference. Again, I ask...even if we hit Danny in the wallet hard enough--what makes you think he's going to make the changes YOU want? Each fan seems to have a different idea.

What if Danny fires Vinny, and then hires a GM that makes picks you don't like? Ultimately, Danny will do the choosing, and nothing anyone does can change that.

I understand what you're saying dude. It won't affect his pockets or his decision making but at this point it's all I can do. And I don't mind that. It's my way of showing how fed up I am. Whether it makes a difference who knows but all I know is it makes me feel better.

Kleese I hear what you are saying that the fan revolt stuff won't work.

But don't you think it's pretty much all we have? :hysterical:

What else can we do except save our money?

And I dont think many of us would care who Snyder brought in as the GM or who was picked in regards to players, because if even a small adjustment was made to the front office all these doomsdayers would be right back on the bandwagon and optimistic about the Skins again.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Dont-Boycott-Danny-64109532.html

Don't Boycott Danny

Root for losses instead

By CHRIS NEEDHAM

Tue, Oct 13, 2009

Sportswriter John Feinstein has an answer to the bag query. With paper bags being a New Orleans thing and against FedEx Field rules, everyone's looking for the right way to 'honor' Dan Snyder's football team and their decade of mediocrity.

Feinstein said Skins fans should boycott.

He appeared on Washington Post Live the other day, and the Sports Bog transcribed his appearance:

"Let's get to the point here. The Washington Redskins have become the Saturday Night Live routine of the NFL, all right? The owner thinks he knows football and doesn't know football. He's got a henchman sideguy to his right, who's a radio talkshow host half of the week and is calling Bingo callers to fix the offense the rest of the week. It is a joke.

"And let me say this for the record, I know what Redskins fans are saying right now. They're angry, they're upset. Ok, DO something about it. DON'T go to the game Sunday. I'm serious about this. If you really want to send a message to the owner, stop calling radio talk shows, stop sending e-mails to this show, and DON'T GO on Sunday. Don't give the guy your money for parking, for concessions.

"Tell him how upset you are by staying home and watching the game on television. They ought to just stay home....DON'T GO. STAY HOME AND WATCH THE GOOD GAMES. DON'T GO!"

That's easy to say for someone who sits in the pressbox and doesn't breathe burgundy and gold. It's a heck of a lot harder to do for the die-hard fans who've been pulling for this team for ages.

The other problem with his boycott is that, well, it's not really going to hurt Snyder. The guy's making so many bazillions of dollars that losing a few thousand really isn't going to matter. He'd probably just come up with the latest money-sucking scheme to draw a few more bucks out of the true football addicts.

The only thing that would ever get Snyder to shape up is complete, absolute rock bottom -- Detroit Lions-level rock bottom. The biggest problem the Skins have had is that year after year they've been perfectly mediocre, stuck in that 7-to-9 win range, so Danny thinks that next year could be the year if he just adds that one piece.

If this team totally tanks and goes 3-13, there aren't any number of single pieces that could (should?) convince Danny that they're close. And the worse they do, the more likely that Vinny Cerrato is out driving a cab somewhere.

So don't follow Feinstein's advice. A boycott won't do it. True fans, sad to say, should be rooting for more soul-crushing losses. Lots of short-term pain for lots of long-term gains. It's tough, but that's the only path forward.

So don't follow Feinstein's advice. A boycott won't do it. True fans, sad to say, should be rooting for more soul-crushing losses. Lots of short-term pain for lots of long-term gains. It's tough, but that's the only path forward.

Of all the things that have been mentioned as methods of boycotting, rooting for a loss has to be the hardest thing a true die hard Redskins fan could ever do. I agree with this methodology, but not going to the game would be easier then rooting for a loss. I don't really think we have to root for them tho. They are bound to show up anyway. And 3-13 doesn't look too far off the horizon.

I honestly can't see how we are getting to five wins, three and thirteen is a realistic possibility.

Bubba - If this team totally tanks and goes 3-13, there aren't any number of single pieces that could (should?) convince Danny that they're close. And the worse they do, the more likely that Vinny Cerrato is out driving a cab somewhere.

Kleese I hear what you are saying that the fan revolt stuff won't work.

But don't you think it's pretty much all we have? :hysterical:

What else can we do except save our money?

And I dont think many of us would care who Snyder brought in as the GM or who was picked in regards to players, because if even a small adjustment was made to the front office all these doomsdayers would be right back on the bandwagon and optimistic about the Skins again.

Yes, it is all you can do as a fan-- and it's your right to do it...and if it makes you feel better and helps you release tension, anger, etc. then I would encourage you to do it.

Anyone who reads this thread and thinks I'm "defending" Snyder isn't really reading it or needs a reading comprehension class.

ALL I'm saying is that in my opinion, those kinds of organized revolts and such don't actually help....they don't bother me, I just don't think they work.

Look at it like this: If you stage a walk-out or protest at the stadium, you are still THERE-- you paid to get in park, etc.

To me, total irrelevance is probably the best way to send a message. As long as you are yelling and screaming, even if you are ripping him to shreds, Danny knows you are still passionate and to some extent he still "has you." I think the real message sender would be if people just literally stopped caring.

I actually think Feinstein is right about that...if people simply don't go, don't call radio shows, don't watch them on TV, don't talk about them on the internet, etc. I think that would probably be more painful.

But let's face it...honest question...many of you are willing to organize protests-- but how many of you would be willing to do this:

Starting RIGHT NOW

--Do not attend another Redskin game this year

--Do not watch another Redskin game this year on TV or listen on radio

--Do not visit ES or ANY other Redskin related message board this year

--Do not talk to your friends or coworkers about the Redskins

--Completey and 100% shut yourself out from the Redskins both financially and emotionally.

You want to REALLY send a message--- that's how you do it....who's willing to do it?

Honestly? I'm not.

We won't finish 3-13. We'll beat the Chiefs, probably knock off Denver (hard to believe right now), and then get some late season garbage wins against Oakland, Dallas at home, and possibly San Diego if there are no playoff implications. That'll put us at 7-9 and once again convince Snyder that we're close.

Wait, so Dan gets paid regardless?

Why does he have a Team of ticket reps? He must derive some benefit.

Why does he charge for parking? Why does he charge for concessions? Why does he do everything that he does, if he's just going to get a cut of the revenue from the league regardless?

And why do owners move their teams from one city to another? I mean, if they're just getting shared revenue.

It ain't luxury boxes. Otherwise LA would have a team.

I'm no expert but seems like I remember that the home team gets to keep all of the concession sales and merchandise sales that are sold in the stadium. Which is why Teams have a vested interest in keeping their stadiums full.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Why does he have a Team of ticket reps? He must derive some benefit.

Why does he charge for parking? Why does he charge for concessions? Why does he do everything that he does, if he's just going to get a cut of the revenue from the league regardless?

And why do owners move their teams from one city to another? I mean, if they're just getting shared revenue.

I'm no expert but seems like I remember that the home team gets to keep all of the concession sales and merchandise sales that are sold in the stadium. Which is why Teams have a vested interest in keeping their stadiums full.

Merchandise sales are totally split evenly--- Dan makes as much from the sale of an Eli Manning jersey as he does from a Haynesworth.

Where you CAN hurt him is if you can convince the big wigs and corporate types to give up their suites and sponsorships.

Merchandise sales are totally split evenly--- Dan makes as much from the sale of an Eli Manning jersey as he does from a Haynesworth.

Where you CAN hurt him is if you can convince the big wigs and corporate types to give up their suites and sponsorships.

Again, I don't think you have all your facts straight. Merchandise sales INSIDE the stadium are kept by the home team.

As are concessions. Beer, hot dogs, etc. Which explains why beer prices differ and FedEx is overrun with Johnny Rockets. And Parking, they get to keep parking.

Unless I have it totally wrong. Someone got a link?

Actually most teams that also own their stadiums lease out the concession stands to a seperate company.. At fed ex field its Centerplate concessions. So in essence, yes dan still gets his money, weather you buy that beer or not. The only people getting hurt there are the minimum wage people who get sent home early because of lack of sales.

Any merchandise with an nfl logo, ie shirt, cap, warm up etc, goes into the revenue sharing fund and is distrubuted equally to all teams.

here you go kleese, I knew you were wrong

Each team receives and equal amount of league revenue, TV contract, merchandising, and home game ticket revenue. During the regular season, home teams get to keep two-thirds of the ticket revenue, the remaining third goes into a pool shared by all other teams. The NFL keeps all ticket revenue during the playoffs, but home teams can keep money made off other stadium related sales, merchandise, concessions etc. etc.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4020/do_nfl_teams_profit_from_the_playoffs.html

So yes, empty seats hurt badly. Which is why NFL Franchises pick up and move.

Another link

Jones is probably biased since he has been outspoken against changing the revenue sharing system that is currently in place. The NFL now shares equally television money and league controlled sponsorship deals and each team shares 34% of its ticket revenue. Each franchise retains its parking and concession revenue, local radio, preseason TV deals, luxury suite and stadium naming rights revenue and retail sales and sponsorships.

http://thesportsbizblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/new-nfl-revenue-sharing-may-harm-la.html

So, what have we learned?

Dan Snyder pockets DIRECTLY revenue from parking, 2/3 of ticket sales, ALL CONCESSIONS AT HOME GAMES, ALL MERCHANDISE SALES AT HOME GAMES, local radio, preseason TV deals, lusury suites, stadium naming rights, and sponsorships.

Oh, and think FedEx wants to keep their name in lights over top of an empty stadium?

Yah, I think its safe to say that a boycott hurts. Despite what kleese thinks :)

here you go kleese, I knew you were wrong

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/4020/do_nfl_teams_profit_from_the_playoffs.html

So yes, empty seats hurt badly. Which is why NFL Franchises pick up and move.

Thats in regards to playoffs- but not so during regular season-

The NFL's complicated economics works like this: Every owner starts out with nearly $100 million a year each from national television and radio contracts, national sponsorships and one-third of ticket revenue from each game played, which is pooled and redistributed equally among all teams. The clubs also receive equal portions from a 12 percent royalty on every NFL-branded piece of merchandise. In all, about $3 billion of the $5.2 billion pot is shared equally.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A57668-2005Jan7?language=printer

Thats in regards to playoffs- but not so during regular season-

The NFL's complicated economics works like this: Every owner starts out with nearly $100 million a year each from national television and radio contracts, national sponsorships and one-third of ticket revenue from each game played, which is pooled and redistributed equally among all teams. The clubs also receive equal portions from a 12 percent royalty on every NFL-branded piece of merchandise. In all, about $3 billion of the $5.2 billion pot is shared equally.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A57668-2005Jan7?language=printer

see my next link. again, we're talking about MERCHANDISE SOLD IN THE STADIUM.

Parking, merchandise, concessions, 2/3 of tickets sold, , naming rights, radio, sponsorships, etc.

That's all to Dan directly.

And interesting that people keep glossing over the 2/3 of all ticket sales going directly to the home team.

Revenue sharing? More like 1/3 revenue sharing. No wonder there is so much incentive for NFL Owners to build bigger stadiums. You guys think Jerruh would build the stadium he builds if he didn't see an increase in return? Really?

Archived