Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP DCSportsBog - Merril Hoge Breaks Down the Skins

THUNDERDOME

Continuity=GM=FO. Analysts and players, even Hasselback, said it takes 3 yrs to really grasp this offense, but we won't see that because of the need for instant gratification and constant change yet again. Zorn's pre-season comments about instant coffee vs slowly brewed coffee that tastes better, may prove ironic indeed.

As you've indicated, the Pats been in a base offense since 2000, and I'm sure that's due to a FO that has maintained those components versus constant fluctuation with coaches with various philosophies that don't match the player's talents. As some of the posters have stated, we've been all over the place with overall different philosophies since Snyder's ownership.

WCO- No doubt this may be a difficult system to learn, but opponents have said since last year that the playcalling was vanilla and predictable. It's also scripted and may allow for some options within the play called, but it doesn't really allow for a completely different play to be changed entirely. Everything within the Redzone is completely scripted and no changes are allowed, so the play called is the play called. Existing players have said this during interviews, and Theismann, Sonny, Doc Walker, Riggins, and others question the playcalling as well. Doc Walker does the gameday sideline reporting and always asks the opposition what they think of the team. He's spoken with old school players like friend Carl Banks after the NYG game, and other opponents since last year have agreed. These individuals said the playcalling is suspect and predictable (vanilla), which is the same thing that Hoge and others have said after carefully watching the games/film. While execution is a component, Zorn doesn't seem to take a lot of blame for his playcalling and likes to talk about the players more.

While execution is a component, Zorn doesn't seem to take a lot of blame for his playcalling and likes to talk about the players more.

If you look at some of my posts in the off season, you'd see am far from a Zorn apologist. Having said that, I'll defend Zorn on this point. He has been critical of his play calling that I recall at least twice this season -- especially after the last game. He could have easily put it all on JC, who had a rough first half but instead said he was questioning whether he had the right game plan, and whether he was calling a good game.

What I'd like to see is Sherm up in the box as OC. The guy obviously knows his stuff. From up there it is also easier to get a feel for exactly what the other team is doing scheme-wise. If Zorn wants to keep calling plays, fine. But let Sherm in on the game planning and put up him up there and have him in Zorn's ear recommending plays and packages that will utilize what we have and take advantage of the holes in whatever scheme the defense seems to be running.

Also...3 curl routes on 3rd and 10 against man coverage? :doh:

Dude, LOVE THE SIG!!!!

I think all the fans should include that onto their sig.. Can I use it too!?

...If we're concerned at all about doing well this season, shouldn't we modify the scheme to fit our talent...

I think Zorn is doing that. I think he's calling for more deep throws and more shot gun formations that he'd prefer, for example. I doubt that we will ever have a true Walsh WCO. If we do, it won't be with the talent we now have on our roster.

Yes, Zorn did take some responsibility last week. But Portis said the reason the team almost had a MUTINY against Zorn last year was because the players grew tired of him constantly throwing them under the bus to the media all year long, etc. So as a result, when things hit the fan with the 2008 second half losing, the players almost turned their backs on the coach because of his abuse and when under direct pressure himself.

When continuously asked about the team's performance during his tenure..."We're all in this together"...I take the responsibility- Coach Gibbs

The Redskins are truly a fascinating team from top to bottom and left to right.

...When continuously asked about the team's performance during his tenure..."We're all in this together"...I take the responsibility- Coach Gibbs...

I agree that Jim Zorn would serve his own interest better by sticking to canned coachspeak. On the other hand, I can't imagine Z treating a player the way Gibbs treated Ramsey. Can you?

Not that it matters, but I agree with Hodge. The offensive staff is completely underwhelming.

They just don't know what the hell to do.

The one thing I disagree with is that I think they should change philosophy to a pass first team, because I don't think the OL is going to blow anybody off the ball, Portis is old and slow, he can grind out the yards, but can't get yards in chunks. They don't have a back on the roster that you have to game plan around. You can limit Portis to 3-4 yards per carry with your front 7.

So I say fling it around more. Come out throwing. Loosen things up a bit, then run.

And stop with all the damn personnel changes. Keep the same package on the field for several plays at a time. Increase the tempo.

The one thing I disagree with is that I think they should change philosophy to a pass first team, because I don't think the OL is going to blow anybody off the ball, Portis is old and slow, he can grind out the yards, but can't get yards in chunks. They don't have a back on the roster that you have to game plan around. You can limit Portis to 3-4 yards per carry with your front 7.

IMO the running games lack of punch and Portis looking OK but nothing special is surprisingly underplayed as an issue with this team.

- All we need to know is that the coaches themselves said the weakest part of the the team during postseason internal interviews was the OL.

- The majority of the fans say the weakest link is the OL that affects both the running and passing production.

- Yet, what have we truly done in the offseason to address the OL? Dockery fell in our laps because the Bills did not submit their paperwork to the NFL Office in time. So that was basically a gimme.

- MIKE FREAKING WILLIAMS?!!! Why is he still on the roster? We treat him like some Top Secret weapon waiting to be unleash on the masses!

- Heyer sucks and is a bencher. We all know the OL and team in general is old as Methusaleh yet we continue.

- Even with OL injuries and obvious lack of production this season what OL adjustments have we made with some veterans still available?

- We've re-acquired Aldridge, brought in Henry for examination, hired an offensive consultant, and done everything UNDER THE SUN except bring in moe OFFENSIVE LINEMEN!!!

- S%@T, F%$*K, SERENITY NOW SERENITY NOW SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:chair:

Archived