Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Shanahan to DC?

holmester

OK, you can be a hellfire coach and you can also be a bad coach at the same time. Gruden took someone else's squad to the Superbowl and won (pretty hard not to against his old team and with that defense) and regressed every single year.

Gruden took a perennial playoff team and got worse and worse and worse.

Give me Tony Dungy. Say what you want about him having Peyton Manning, he was a winner all the time.

He also took the Raiders deep into the playoffs quite a few times. He has more say in Oakland about player personnel than he did in Tampa. He's a good coach. He won't be effective here though. Any coach is doomed to fail here with FO setup.

Will Shanahan want Portis around, who he rid the Broncos of with the Bailey/Portis trade?

What was the actual reasoning Shanahan jettisoned Portis?

Was it because of his "me-me" theatrics and personality (we now see with the Skins), that tired the coaches of his antics?

Would the vaunted zone blocking schemes make their way to DC, thus making Portis' exit more likely and his services less needed? Remember that Shanahan told Vinny about Aldridge the Speed Demon.

Would Shanahan want to keep Campbell to see what he has? Shanahan keeps an office near Denver and routinely examines game film so has he already been diligently examining the Skins roster?

OK, you can be a hellfire coach and you can also be a bad coach at the same time. Gruden took someone else's squad to the Superbowl and won (pretty hard not to against his old team and with that defense) and regressed every single year.

Give me Tony Dungy. Say what you want about him having Peyton Manning, he was a winner all the time.

I don't think Shanahan is the type to put up with primaddonas either, he traded Portis while he looked like the best RB of the next decade.

You could say he put up with Cutler, but I don't think Cutler turned into Jeff George until after Shanahan left. I'm all for having Dungy, except that if he doesn't satisfy Snyder every year, I'm afraid he'll be fired and I have too much respect for him to want to see that.

I agree on Gruden, he'd be a disaster here. He's not a veteran friendly coach and he's got a big credibility issue coming out of Tampa. He would tell players one thing and do another. Once that is your rep among players, it's hard to get them to lay it on the line for you.

Word from Insider Len Pasquarelli is that Shanahan and Redskins vice president for football operations Vinny Cerrato have a good relationship based upon their time together with the San Francisco 49ers in the early 1990's. While some coaches could be scared off by Cerrato having so much power, Pasquarelli believes that the two might be able to work well together.

So, in other words, Ceratto stays despite Vinny also having an ultimatum this past offseason. So, in the end, nothing will change. Danny boy must be married to Vinny. What kind of dirt does he have on Snyder to be so bullet proof?

So much speculation right now. Zorn has to be feeling the pressure about now. You gotta kinda feel for the guy. Would not want to be in his shoes for a second, well unless it was time to collect the paycheck. I would love to see Gruden, Cowher, Shanny, or Holmgren. Any of the above is a huge step up and at least gather the respect of the players. But its all irrelevant if a gm isn't hired.

Shanahan will be given more power due to Super Bowl pedigree. Even if Cerrato stays on his role will be more like it was under Gibbs than what it is now. This can only be good for the skins.

John Elway has that Super Bowl pedigree. Not Shanahan. He didn't do much once Elway retired. He only had 4 playoff appearances in the 10 years that Elway wasn't there, and he was 1-4 in those appearances. He had a 13-3 season in 2005, but followed that up with 9-7, 7-9, 8-8.

Sounds to me like he wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Judging by some of the comments here I think Snyder would do everything in his power to try to get a name coach. It would mean that the fan base would buy into the big name, even though statistics and circumstances show that it wouldn't be an overnight success, or even a long term success.

I just don't think bringing Shanahan or Gruden would bring us to glory. I think what would work long term is building a team the way Ozzie Newsome has in Baltimore, and plugging in any coach (whether it be newbie or veteran) and still have instant success. The way our front office is structured now means that the Redskins will never have a solid foundation to build upon.

Shanahan will not come to the Redskins because he is like Marty and be in complete control as a coach should be.

Courtesy of Bubba

Another Shanny clue for the Skins?

Earlier in the week, the Washington Redskins brought in Sherman Lewis to act as "offensive consultant" to address the team's struggles. When asked how much he'd talked to Lewis before the hiring, coach Jim Zorn told the Washington Post, "Zero."

Sounds like Zorn may be on the hotseat; after all, the bosses are bringing in an old guy to watch over the team. But the coaches shouldn't be threatened by Lewis, at least not in terms of him taking their job. "I wasn't planning on coaching, so I'm not looking for anybody's job," Lewis said.

There's more evidence emerging that Mike Shanahan will be the successor to Zorn if not during this season then certainly shortly after the season is over. Word from Insider Len Pasquarelli is that Shanahan and Redskins vice president for football operations Vinny Cerrato have a good relationship based upon their time together with the San Francisco 49ers in the early 1990's. While some coaches could be scared off by Cerrato having so much power, Pasquarelli believes that the two might be able to work well together.

Thanks for nothin ESPN.

Snyder did try to bring Shanny in as HC during the offseaon. Shanny was all set to come here if Cutler was traded here. However, HC is only a symptom of the problems with the Redskins. They need a fundamental restructuring from the GM on down.

That's a true thing. Vince Lombardi couldn't win in this environment.

I would take bill cowerd (sp) instead but it better than corny zorny.

I think Cowher will end up in Carolina when all is said and done. He lives in NC, and I think he'd rather work with Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney (who is a Bobby Beathard protege) than work with Snyderatto.

Archived