Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Redskin Statue

fuji869

Outside of the United Center in Chicago there is a statue of Michael Jordan and outside of Joe Robie Stadium in Miami there is a statue of Dan Marino.

If the Redskins Could have a statue outside of their stadium, who do you think it should be. There are many great players in our organization worth of a statue, Sammy Baugh, Sunny Jurgenson, John Riggins, Art Monk and Darrell Green but my choice would would be Joe Gibbs.

The Redskins would not have had 3 Super Bowl Championships without him. His coaching approach helped Redskin fans know the glory of watching their team winning championships.

Yes we had great players in the 80s but Joe Gibbs helped make it all come together. :applause:

I would've settled for the marble monument that stood outside of RFK. They could've produced more of them with Edward Bennett Williams and then the Squire to go along with George Preston Marshall. IF...and that is a big IF..they would have their own Hall of Fame (anyone ever hear me say this before?), they could've put those monuments outside of it. The classic pose of Sammy with his left arm outstretched and the ball ****ed to throw would be a good choice for a statue. So would George Allen clapping his hands or licking his fingers, Riggo breaking McNeal's tackle, and Gibbs icy stare with his hat pulled tight down over his head.

Originally posted by 70Chip

Maybe not so deserving in the scheme of things, but you have to admit that a statue of John Riggins dragging Don McNeil downfield in the Super Bowl would be sweet --

My thoughts exactly. Besides ... who ever said you couldn't have more than one statue?

Riggins, Sonny, Green AND Gibbs! That should cover entrances from all four directions. :)

Since it would be hard to have everybody's favorite player or coach, how about a statue to honor great Indian war chiefs like Geronimo, Sitting Bull, or Crazy horse.

Or would the PC crowd $hit their pants.

Originally posted by Number11

And look who is saying this about sonny?...figures......:rolleyes:

Good point 11! :thumbsup:

Looks like the Jurgenson / Kilmer Battle continues over 30 years later on Extremeskins! I LOVE IT!!!!! :applause:

Gentlemen the Redskins are a storied franchise. We should honor more than one former Redskin. I envision statues encircling the stadium...here is my liste of nominees:

1. Joe Gibbs

2. Sammy Baugh

3. Jack Kent Cooke

4. Darrell Green

5. John Riggins

6. Art Monk

7. Sonny Jurgensen

8. Charlie Taylor...

That's just start...

Pick a length of time, say 10-12 years and say that any Redskins that plays for x # of years AND retires a Redskin will be bronzed and placed somewhere around the stadium. Would this help influence guys to stay? Being immortalized like that would be sweet and a pretty unique part of being a Redskin.

It could be something like the Korean veterans Memorial which is just spectacular!

Guest Matt Kyriacou

If it is to be a single player, then in my mind it can only be Darrell Green. He truly embodies all that being a Washington Redskin was, is, and should always be.

However........

If it was left up to me, then the choice is very easily made.......Jack Kent Cooke.

There are only two decisions that I really fault Daniel Snyder for during the time that he has been owner.

#1 - The Deion signing

and

#2 - Selling off the naming rights of the stadium

As difficult as it is for me to say this, I don't believe that anyone, Joe Gibbs included, loved Redskins football as much as the Squire. He didn't ask for a penny to build the stadium. This was his own creation. And while he had an enormous ego, he would never have had the stadium named after him while he was still alive (ala Ted Turner who had the taxpayers build a living monument to him). It was named after him posthumously and the right thing to do......period.

While I can't really fault Snyder for trying to maximize the return on his investment, I do fault him for distancing himself from Redskins history to an extent. If there is a statue to be erected, then I believe that Jack Kent Cooke is owed that much at the very least.

Originally posted by Matt Kyriacou

#2 - Selling off the naming rights of the stadium

As difficult as it is for me to say this, I don't believe that anyone, Joe Gibbs included, loved Redskins football as much as the Squire. He didn't ask for a penny to build the stadium. This was his own creation. And while he had an enormous ego, he would never have had the stadium named after him while he was still alive (ala Ted Turner who had the taxpayers build a living monument to him). It was named after him posthumously and the right thing to do......period.

While I can't really fault Snyder for trying to maximize the return on his investment, I do fault him for distancing himself from Redskins history to an extent. If there is a statue to be erected, then I believe that Jack Kent Cooke is owed that much at the very least.

I agree 100% Matt Kyriacou! :cheers:

IMHO:

Some people thing that "Overnight Deliver Field" is a catchy name or that Mr. Snyder spent almost $1 Billion on the team so he has the right to rename the stadium or it made good business sence to sell the name of the stadium! :deal:

The bottom line is Jack Kent Cooke is part of Redskin History, and yes he did not want his name on the New Stadium, but, it was something his son did in honor of the Squire after he passed away.

JKC did not hold the D.C. Area at Ransome (like Pat Bowlen in Denver, Bill Bidwell in Phoenix or Art Modell in Cleveland) by saying to the city "Build me a new stadium or I will move the team out of D.C." He forked out most of the money for the stadium.

But it happens in this modern age.

Archived