Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we feel sorry for Jim Zorn?

REDALERT

I feel sorry for him in the sense that he was provided a group of players on O that had already proven to be a poor unit under more experienced, proven coaches, yet he was expected to learn all the nuances of being a HC and improve these same players. I also feel sorry for him that apparently his fate was tied to the improvement of Campbell.

I don't feel sorry for him b/c he is making a bunch of money. Also he is young and most likely will be offered another job since I am sure other NFL organizations will realize the difficulties in working for Snyder and Co.

Zorn was brought to Washington as the offensive coordinator and that's what he should be. I think its too much of a jump to promote the Z-man from a Quarterbacks coach to the head coach of the Washington Redskins. Long story short Zorn is too green. That doesn't mean he can't be a good head coach someday. Zorn's coaching credentials aside, the guy just doesn't have the weapons to work with. Portis is as tough as they get, but he's playing hurt almost every game. The offensive line needs to be rebuilt. I'll say it right now, (and i'll probably be right when the seasons over still) KELLY, D.THOMAS, & F.DAVIS are all BUSTS. We'd know by now if one of them was the real deal. Those three guys make me wish we had Rod Gardner again. I don't really feel sorry for Zorn, because when he's gone I'm sure he'll be much happier wherever he ends up. One thing I know for sure is that I'm sick of Daniel Snyder. I used to be the lone guy in the room who stood for Snyder since I'm the only Redskins fan I know in these parts. After last summer with the Cutler and Sanchez talk I started to lose my patience with Vinny and DAnny Boy. The Redskins are 2-2 and are underdogs to an 0-3 team. ENOUGH SAID.

:mad: :logo:

If Zorn wins on Sunday, he will be the only coach under the Snyder-era that has an overall winning records.... including Gibbs.

And if he doesn't, he'll be 4-9 since half-way last year and teams having film on him; and, not including the Giants opening week, 2-2 in '09 against the easiest technical schedule you could wish for, all against winless teams going in.

The .500 thing for a rookie/second year HC is a VERY misleading stat to how it all actually unfolded.

Hail.

I feel sorry for him in the sense that he was provided a group of players on O that had already proven to be a poor unit under more experienced, proven coaches, yet he was expected to learn all the nuances of being a HC and improve these same players. I also feel sorry for him that apparently his fate was tied to the improvement of Campbell.

I don't feel sorry for him b/c he is making a bunch of money. Also he is young and most likely will be offered another job since I am sure other NFL organizations will realize the difficulties in working for Snyder and Co.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. But didn't Zorn back Campbell after the organization was trying to upgrade? And to my understanding that's his story and he's sticking to that.

Also, if you feel you need better talent. then it's your job to also recognize that talent and possibly try to get better talent in the door. Not being complacent with what you have, but not all his fault. But regardless, I just think players are not put in better situations to excel under this regime of a coaching staff. That's why they're sort of bucking the new set of eyes and questioning how can he help. Just my 2 cents..

In a way, I do, but I keep reminding myself that he got himself in this so he foots the blame.

IMO, he would be a good coach later down the road, but he needs to get a more aggressive attack and attitude; slap a player upside the head, get in someone's face and chew their arses out, show an actual emotion that you DO give a rats and you expect and demand better.

Zorn doesn't have this quality. Gibbs didn't either, but he was a good enough coach to build a good squad with great coaching staff and play designs.

Maybe Z needs a few more years of OC or ass't or QB coaching, to give him a better understanding of the game. He may be stuck in the football of old, back when he was playing...

I feel sorry for the guy, because he should have taken an OC job years ago and worked his way up the coaching ladder.

I don't feel sorry for the guy for taking a job that was clearly not within his current skill set or was validated by his experience.

Not really. He's about to escape from Snyderatto hell! We're going to be stuck for God knows how long! So much for "Patience...I've learned incredible patience." Snyder is without a doubt one of the most evil, incompetent, maniuplating, under-handed, clueless owners in the history of wide world sports. Our greatest enemy isn't the cowboys anymore. It's the moron we have for an owner!!

But I'm sure many of you will have some more Jimmy Jones Kool Aide. And believe that Danny is looking out for you! So you'll buy his $8.00 piss water that passes for beer and pay thru the nose to tailgate at the back of the lot. Just as I've done in the past. And then one day you'll take that red pill and realize that the Redskins matrix is seriously Effed up! And your owner is the one behind the scenes wrecking that which so many of us has loved for years.

GHTR!

God help the Redskins!

I can agree with this to a certain extent. But didn't Zorn back Campbell after the organization was trying to upgrade? And to my understanding that's his story and he's sticking to that.

Also, if you feel you need better talent. then it's your job to also recognize that talent and possibly try to get better talent in the door. Not being complacent with what you have, but not all his fault. But regardless, I just think players are not put in better situations to excel under this regime of a coaching staff. That's why they're sort of bucking the new set of eyes and questioning how can he help. Just my 2 cents..

I am not sure if Zorn truly backed Campbell or not. If he was just talking to the media of course he is going to back his players. As for getting new players in the door, I wouldn't think Zorn has had too much pull when it comes to that. Like I said I'm not sure whether it is the scheme or the players or both, but this will be at least the 2nd scheme (3rd if you count Gibbs w/ and w/out Saunder as separate entities) this core group of offensive players have struggled to execute.

Not really. He's about to escape from Snyderatto hell! We're going to be stuck for God knows how long! So much for "Patience...I've learned incredible patience." Snyder is without a doubt one of the most evil, incompetent, maniuplating, under-handed, clueless owners in the history of wide world sports. Our greatest enemy isn't the cowboys anymore. It's the moron we have for an owner!!

But I'm sure many of you will have some more Jimmy Jones Kool Aide. And believe that Danny is looking out for you! So you'll buy his $8.00 piss water that passes for beer and pay thru the nose to tailgate at the back of the lot. Just as I've done in the past. And then one day you'll take that red pill and realize that the Redskins matrix is seriously Effed up! And your owner is the one behind the scenes wrecking that which so many of us has loved for years.

GHTR!

God help the Redskins!

Amen!

I feel bad for him for the fact that he should have never been given the job. We made a QB coach: the head coach, offensive play caller and the QB coach. That's ridiculous. He should have been given help in the play calling department but all he was given was more inexperienced coordinators.

He's clearly not cut out for the job, but if all the speculation so far is true, dude is getting shafted big time. I don't mind him getting fired because it honestly wouldn't make a difference if it had happened now or at the end of the season but if Vinny and Snyder have any sense of dignity, they let their mistake ride itself out and cut ties when it's not going to be maligning for Zorn. Firing him mid season would be a spit in the face.

As an owner anytime you hire a new HC it should be a 3 year deal minimum.

at the least Zorn should get to finish the season his way and then the parting of the ways after year 2 could be somewhat acceptable..

If he fires Zorn during the season..this team is history for sure never to be the same again. It's not like the team is not history now either but at least it's credible.

Until the fans do not show up to the games period A completely empty stadium would speak volumes to the NFL. but I know there are some who think that it will be OK..

But it won't..

The players will not play..No HC is his right mind of any value will ever come to DC.

Snyder and Ceratto must go if Zorn is fired before season's end and especially if this proves to be the start with Sherman Lewis becoming the O coordinator and Blache becoming the HC.

This is totally intolerable and inexcusable as a fan to watch. IMHO...

I feel sorry for the guy, because he should have taken an OC job years ago and worked his way up the coaching ladder.

I don't feel sorry for the guy for taking a job that was clearly not within his current skill set or was validated by his experience.

He is 5 years older than Gregg Williams, 1 year younger than Bellichick and Shanahan. If he was going to climb the ladder, it would have happened long ago.

Did you know Zorn is a Carolina victory away on Sunday from being the winningest coach, by percentage, in Snyder's 10-year tenure as owner? He's at 10-10 after 20 games, his .500 percentage is tied with Marty Schottenheimer, better than Joe Gibbs II (.469), Norv Turner (.450), Steve Spurrier (.375) and Terry Robiskie (.333).

From the UnWise Mike WP article today, eye opening to say the least.

I feel sorry for him, mainly because he wasn't meant to be in this position in the first place. Now he's taking all of this heat, and his reputation is at stake.

And for what? Because Snyder screwed up the coaching search?

I don't blame Zorn one bit for taking the job. He's getting paid big bucks to take on a job that looks like too much for him. I'd do the same thing in a heartbeat. Take the money and run.

Did you know Zorn is a Carolina victory away on Sunday from being the winningest coach, by percentage, in Snyder's 10-year tenure as owner? He's at 10-10 after 20 games, his .500 percentage is tied with Marty Schottenheimer, better than Joe Gibbs II (.469), Norv Turner (.450), Steve Spurrier (.375) and Terry Robiskie (.333).

From the UnWise Mike WP article today, eye opening to say the least.

None of the other coaches took over a team coming off of a playoff appearance and 2 in the previous 3 years.

They all however beat teams by more than a single score, scored more than 30 and beat a team that finished with 10 or more wins (who knows Detroit and Tampa might get to 10 this year).

Archived