Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Sources: Crabtree, 49ers agree to deal

DCranon21

Wow, it's about damn time.

After months of holding out, wide receiver Michael Crabtree has agreed to a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Crabtree will get a six-year deal that he can void to five years if he meets undefined performance clauses, a league source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The 22-year-old Crabtree is expected to report to the team's training facility Wednesday.

Crabtree and agent Eugene Parker met into Tuesday night with 49ers owner Jed York, general manager Scot McCloughan and Paraag Marathe, vice president of football operations. The two sides had gone almost three weeks without talking.

San Francisco selected Crabtree with the 10th pick in this year's draft and could use the wideout's game-breaking ability in the passing game. That said, he has a lot of catching up to do to learn the offense after missing all of training camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4538482

So he can void the contract after this year if he doesn't do certain things? I wonder what those clauses are?

No, its a 5 year deal with a 6 guranteed* unless he hits certain performance triggers in the contract that release him from the 6th year.

Whats the betting that there will be a puffed up final year (the 6th) which will voided almost automatically so that it is in effect a 5 year deal which will be the same that has been on the table since some time in August?

The puffed up 6th year will allow the agent to say 'we won' while the reality will be that the 49ers called their bluff and they had to cave.

49ers winning is what forced Crabtree to cave. The thinking was probably "they'll realize how much they need you once the season starts". The opposite proved to be the case and now Crabtree had to act in order to get his millions before they vanished completely.

So who do you guys think catches more passes this year, Crabtree or Heyward-Bey?

49ers winning is what forced Crabtree to cave. The thinking was probably "they'll realize how much they need you once the season starts". The opposite proved to be the case and now Crabtree had to act in order to get his millions before they vanished completely.

So who do you guys think catches more passes this year, Crabtree or Heyward-Bey?

Crabtree > DHB (with JaMarcus at QB)

DHB > Crabtree (with a re-signed Jeff Garcia at QB)

that's my prediction

Here's an interesting thought that I saw posted in the comments section on one of the sports sites (ESPN, Foxsports, etc...?) It's awfully coincidental that the Jets traded for Edwards immediately after the 49ers reached a deal with Crabtree. Especially considering all of the talk that the Jets tampered with acquiring Crabtree earlier in the season.

];6855575']If I was Shaun Hill I'd send him over the middle on a post. And I'd give the Safety on the other team a heads up before hand.

The corners will abuse him at the line of scrimmage. I guarantee he will not be prepared for the size, strength, and speed of NFL corners.

Here's an interesting thought that I saw posted in the comments section on one of the sports sites (ESPN, Foxsports, etc...?) It's awfully coincidental that the Jets traded for Edwards immediately after the 49ers reached a deal with Crabtree. Especially considering all of the talk that the Jets tampered with acquiring Crabtree earlier in the season.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

By the way, I'd fire that agent.

Yeah, I don't think it'll be that surprising if we hear that the Jets were banking on Crabtree not making this deal and either re-entering the draft pool or getting his rights traded to New York.

Crabtree's a bum. He's way far behind where he needs to be at this point in the season, he didn't even practice much in OTAs last summer because of his foot recovery, and God knows what's been doing this whole time waiting for this deal to happen. I'm sure he's been training somewhere, but he's probably not in ideal NFL season condition.

I'd be surprised if he was active against Atlanta this Sunday.

Archived