Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dupree back in NFL as scout with Redskins: ESPN.com - Len Pasquarelli

I didn't see this posted:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1582445.html

Dupree back in NFL as scout with Redskins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

His recruitment was so intense that it was chronicled in a best-seller, and his legend was big enough to inspire a song, but tailback Marcus Dupree played just two seasons (1990-91) with the Los Angeles Rams before his career was ended by a knee injury.

Now Dupree, hired earlier this week by the Washington Redskins as a college scout in charge of the Southwest, is getting a long-sought second opportunity to make his mark in a league where he feels he still has unfinished business.

In his two NFL seasons, Dupree played in only 15 games, and posted 68 carries for 251 yards and one touchdown. If his legacy will never be that of a star, Dupree has decided that maybe he can carve out a niche as a star maker instead.

"The way my career ended, with me never getting a real chance to show my (skills), it really tore me up," said Dupree, reached on his cell phone Thursday as he was driving from Philadelphia, Miss., to New Orleans, to check out apartments before he moves there. "I said to (vice president of football operations) Vinny Cerrato, when he told me I had the job, that he was giving me the chance to get rid of something that just ate at me for a lot of years. Maybe this is how I was meant to earn my stripes in the NFL."

A dozen years removed from Dupree's last appearance on the field and nearly two decades after he signed with the USFL's New Orleans Breakers as a 19-year-old kid after having a falling out with Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer, he is ready to find a new way of satisfying his football itch. When he discovered that the Redskins were revamping their scouting department and needed a few young talent evaluators, he hounded Cerrato with phone calls.

"Almost every day," Cerrato noted. "He was persistent, say that for him, and you felt like you had to at least bring him in and talk to him."

Dupree, now 43, recently served as the general manager of the arenafootball2 (Arena Football's developmental league) franchise in Bossier City, La. The team's nickname, the Battle Wings, still makes him chuckle. And he laughs when asked about the experience. "Oh, yeah, it was an experience, all right," he said. It was a good entry to have, however, on an otherwise sparse resume.

Dupree impressed the Redskins during an interview this week with his ability to assess video and to write a clear and concise appraisal of the players he had watched. Players born with talent can't always identify it when they see it in others, but Dupree seems to have no problems in that area, Cerrato said.

It's an entry level position and, given that Washington is working with a diminished scouting budget because the team is paying off the salaries of deposed personnel chiefs Joe Mendes and Ron Nay, it's a good bet Dupree won't get rich. But he'll get a hands-on scouting education and a grass-roots foundation.

"And, honest, that's all I've ever asked for," Dupree said. "I mean, everything happens for a reason, and I'm just grateful for the chance to contribute to a team in some way. This is going to soothe my soul, I know it, man. The people around me, my mother and my kids, they know how pained I have been. But this can fix all that. I think I'll be good at it. One thing I know: No one will out-work me at it. It's just good to be back in the NFL again and I plan to stick around a lot longer this time around."

given that Washington is working with a diminished scouting budget because the team is paying off the salaries of deposed personnel chiefs Joe Mendes and Ron Nay, it's a good bet Dupree won't get rich.

like snyder can't afford a scouting staff :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

last time i checked there wasn't a salary cap on admin roles...

Archived