Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Around the Horn Talking About Redskins

Eparadox

Wow, 3 out of 4 bought the Skins(instead of Sold)...Woody said Ramsey is gonna be good. Marriotti said we still have a great defense, and we added offensive weapons. Some new guy said we'll do well because Spurrier has more experience in the league. The only negative view was from Holley, who was talking out of his ass, saying that our running back-by-committee won't work, we lost S. Davis, and Spurrier has got to stop Juggling QB's.

Never take sports analysis seriously from a guy who has a dreadlock ponytail and a nose piercing. (Michael Holley)

So funny how people that have never seen a Skins game all have their same talking points about how "Spurrier juggles QBs." Now, its the "RB by committee issue in Washington".

How come these critics never seem to have a problem when Oakland, SF, Atlanta, TB, etc. have multiple running backs? When those teams do they are "balanced" and "use a 1-2 punch" and have "RBs that can spell each other". When we do it, its because "Spurrier is impetuous".

Bla.

Because all of those teams have better RB's than us, and they actually have a 1-2 punch. We have a 1-1-1-1 punch and no real power back. Our running game concerns me, but then again, who needs red zone offense when we'll be scoring from 40+ yards out every time?

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

"Because all of those teams have better RB's than us, and they actually have a 1-2 punch. We have a 1-1-1-1 punch and no real power back."- Joeskins............You don't consider Betts a power back??? IMO he seems like a Davis clone. Am I wrong??:gus:

Yep. Betts a power back, in comparison to (as the teams listed go) Crockett, Duckett and Alstott? Betts is a decent blocker, but he can't run the ball with the same authority that those three can. A power back he is not.

Frankly, we have not seen enough of Betts to determine what kind of back he is going to be. He rushed for 102 and 98 yards in two of his last starts of the season as a rookie, so that says something about him..........

of the others Crockett is not an everydown back, and hasn't been in 7 years in the NFL. Where has this guy shown he is a legit power back by the numbers?

Duckett is another guy like Betts that is just getting started.

All I have to say is that JAY MARIOTTI AND MAX KELLERMAN ARE THE REASON I WATCH!! After Monk got beat out last year by lofton, one of the last subjects of the show was monk vs. lofton and mariotti was like "yeah, whats knew, the corrupt hall of fame voters didnt let a guy in because its all about polotics." he went on to say something like " Monk is a class act and is a CHAMPION and its a joke how he didnt go in on his first ballot."

Then kellerman said how its " ludacris how a guy that was once the all-time leader in the stat that defines his position isnt in the hall"

Ditto here Lachey. I've been a big fan of Jay Mariotti since his days at OneOnOne Sports/Sporting News Radio. Add to the fact that he writes for the Chicago Sun-Times, and is actually good at writing the pieces that he does, he just adds a clever, yet funny vibe to whatever he does, whether it be in his writings, or on Around The Horn. I prefer to have him "win" the gold medal award even over Bob Ryan.

And the bashings he gave to TJ Simers from the LA Times were priceless to watch. :laugh: Its like watching the Sports Reporters TV Show run amok. :)

Tampa Bay's Running Back situation last season was abismal. They didn't have 1 single back rush for over 100 yards during the season. The first time it happened all season was in the Super Bowl (by someone who will never play NFL ball again).

I'd take Betts over Alstott every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Alstott is the MOST overrated player in the NFL. It was a real shame he didn't make it on ESPN PAGE TWO's list of most overrated. The guy is a joke. The only time he ever looks good is late in a game where the Bucs have a sizeable lead and the opposing defense just gives up. Alstott is considered to be a "power" back simply because he is big. If you've ever watched the Bucs early in a game, you see Mike Alstott trying to dance around in the back field like he's Barry Sanders. And like Sanders he gets dropped for a loss most of the time, only unlike Barry, Mike NEVER breaks off the 40+ yarder.

I'd take this Redskin group of RBs over the Bucs unit from last season in a heartbeat. In my mind there is simply no comparison. I'd bet size on this Redskin unit putting up much better numbers the Super Bowl Champs did on the ground last year.

Archived