Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - Mike Wise - Leonsis's Invention of Not Lying

ttr77

He started out 0-5 and then went 8-3 with Tony Banks at QB. TONY BANKS!!!!! He got us under the Cap. He treated every player the same and the primadonnas on those teams hated it. Marty knew it was hard work and dedication that won. Marty was fired 2 years to soon. As the Chargers coach was it his fault that they had the Pats beat and his WR allowed the Pats to take the ball from him? Was it his fault that Byner fumbled at the goal line against the Broncos?

The roster he had was terrible. He had Tony Banks and Jeff George as QBs. Stephen Davis as RB (Good, Marty likes to run the ball, but his backup was Carter. :rolleyes: WR were Westbrook and Gardner. Bruce Smith led the team with 5 sacks then cam Marco Coleman with 4.5, Kenard Lang with 4 and Big Daddy with 4.

Marty had this team going in the right direction and Snyder pulled it out from under us and brought in the Ole Ball Coach. Thatb set us back again. Spurrier wasn't gonna say anything to Snyder. Marty knew what had to be done and Snyder hated it. Another stupid, stupid move among many stupid, stupid moves from Snyder

The thing that I remember the most was the game against Denver when Banks got hurt and Kent Graham had to come in and lead the team...and the Skins got the win.

It was after the game that everyone said, "We wanted to win this for Tony." This group was geling into a team! They were coming together! Yeah Marty wasn't perfect but he did a lot more things right than wrong with this team...he got them to win 8 out of 11 games and at one point was only 1 game in back of Philly for the division lead. This was a team on the rise.

But then Mr. Snyder decided he wasn't having as much fun as he once did...so out with Marty and in with the Shiny New toy.

I hope Mr. Snyder is having fun now!

You don't think going from Spurrier to Gibbs was a drastic change in philosophies? Or going from Gibbs to Zorn was a drastic change in philosophies? Is your issue with what Snyder does or how he does it?

I think he has changed his philosophy plenty of times. In fact, I think in the case of Snyder everyone says he actually has changed his philosophy too many times.

Apparently the point I'm making isn't clear. This team, the way its presently constructed, is likely nowhere near a championship. As the article states, sometimes its best to admit it to yourself, and then admit it to the fans. And let them know you might have to get worse before you get better. Not, 'Hey, we're changing coaches and philosophies...but then we're signing a bunch of expensive free agents so we can DOMINATE!'.

Unfortunately, that latter statement (as well as the BS about some waiting list) is what keeps the fans excited, and more importantly, the advertisers interested.

Archived