Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder's mindset, "Just one big signing away" is the real problem

NoCalMike

The seems to be our biggest problem as a franchise.

Everytime this team takes a step forward, the front office decides they are going to go out and sign someone that will solve any existing problems.

First it was 2000 FAs, then it was Spurrier, then Gibbs II, then Brandon Lloyd, now Haynesworth, next possibly Mike Shanahan.

This isn't to say every free agent we have signed hasn't helped us. I would say Santana Moss has been good.

I think Snyder sits in his owner suite and watches all these other teams go from worst to first and he is trying to capture that lightning in a bottle. However, most of the time those teams are not a result of free agency, or a new big not signing.

In fact, most of them were way off the radar going into the season, quietly building and working as a team in training camp, ready to shock the world.

Not this organization...nope. Snyder has to make sure everyone knows he cannot be outspent in Free Agency.

When are things going to change?

I made a thread similar to this one yesterday comparing Dan Snyder and Peter Angelos, the owner of the Orioles. http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=301633&highlight=peter+angelos

I think they are both very similiar in how they manage their teams. Angelos however, has learned that his way isn't going to work. So he brought in a GM who knows what he has doing and the O's have a very good young core of players. Hopefully Snyder can take a leasson from him and turn things around.

This has been the problem with Snyder from day one: unrealistic expectations. He has stated that his goal every year is to win a championship. Think about that for a minute. It's a completely unrealistic absurd goal. Building championship teams doesn't happen overnight. Some years need to be dedicated to rebuilding--a process we have "avoided" in Wash. since Snyder purchased the team. We've had some decent teams, some bad ones, but most of the time, we are stuck exactly in the middle. And if you're not getting better in the NFL, you're getting worse. Until Snyder understands this and adjusts his decisions accordingly, expect more of the same.

I would like to actually see Snyder get interviewed instead of tidbits of speculation manifesting amongst the media and more importantly us (the fans).

Maybe I have missed direct quotes and apologize in advance if I have but he never actually gives any proof of wrong doing or a "mindest".

edit: other than the "short leash" that he has apparently given to coaches. Unless the coaches are the ones begging for a certain player, calling them "that 1 piece" just to watch them get poorly coached and no results after tons of money was spent.

No. You guys are not paying any attention. 2006 was the Skins last dumb spending spree. Lloyd, Archuleta etc. and that falls on Gibbs, who was the head player personnel. 2007, they signed Fletcher. How has that worked out? 2008, the Skins didn't sign a FA.

Now, the fans, media were complaining about how the Skins needed help on the DL. The Skins signed Haynesworth this past offseason. Haynesworth is simply the best DT in the league. The point is, the have signed for need. True or false? Angelos doesn't put in money into the team. Don't be ridiculous.

Well what do you want the FO to do? you asked for more pass rushers he signs Haynesworth and drafts Orakpo and Jarmon, you asked for OL help and he draft Rinehart, signs dockery, you asked for WR he drafts Thomas, Kelly, and Davis, you asked for more DB's he signs Hall and drafts Tryon, Barnes. You guys need to quit complaining as this FO is trying to put a winning team on the field but its the coaching and players that are not performing not the FO. Not every draft pick will work and not every signing will work. But they are making and effort and to put the pieces in place. Other teams with owners that wont spend a dime are in no better shape then us. Ask the Texans, Dolphins, etc

Are you not supposed to try and plug holes?

You absolutely are. Snyder is not the problem here....early on he was, but now he's not. An owner who will spend like Snyder is an absolute blessing.

What we need is a real GM. Once we have a real GM, Snyder can give him a blank check for whatever players he wants to bring in. The GM needs to decide on the pieces he wants, Snyder needs to get them for him. Firing Casserly was the biggest bonehead move Dan made here.

The Skins need Bill Parcells. It will never happen, but that's the type of football mind we need.

You absolutely are. Snyder is not the problem here....early on he was, but now he's not. An owner who will spend like Snyder is an absolute blessing.

What we need is a real GM. Once we have a real GM, Snyder can give him a blank check for whatever players he wants to bring in. The GM needs to decide on the pieces he wants, Snyder needs to get them for him. Firing Casserly was the biggest bonehead move Dan made here.

The Skins need Bill Parcells. It will never happen, but that's the type of football mind we need.

No, Parcells is not the answer, his philosophy will not work as it once did. The dolphins are in shambles right now and he won't make any big trades or signings. Trust me the fans are pissed right now....Yes I live in Miami.

Unfortunately, most fans share his view and believed that Haynesworth might put us "over the top" by making our defense absolutely dominant.

That was my belief, laugh at me if you want. We were damn good last year, without Al AND Orakpo.. Blache has failed us honestly, IMO.

That was my belief, laugh at me if you want. We were damn good last year, without Al AND Orakpo.. Blache has failed us honestly, IMO.

I think people don't/didn't appreciate what Springs meant to this D.

I'm not saying letting him go was a mistake because with the amount of time he spent hurt, he suredly wasn't worth what he was going to get paid.

15. Please maintain respectable size signatures within the limitations set herein.

Maintaining reasonable size signatures minimizes the amount of load time needed to access a given page. Furthermore, it reduces the amount of excessive scrolling required of users perusing threads. Signatures should not exceed 550 pixels in width and 200 pixels in height. These dimensions are not a guideline, they are a rule. It is the standard dimension for the entire signature size a member can use. Regardless of the quantity of photos posted, the sum area of all the photos must not exceed the stated size limitations. In addition, signatures should not contain any more than 10 lines of text. The sum total of the height (ie. 200 pixels) INCLUDES text or any combination of images and text.

An example of a maximum sized sig is provided below:

examplek.jpg

No, Parcells is not the answer, his philosophy will not work as it once did. The dolphins are in shambles right now and he won't make any big trades or signings. Trust me the fans are pissed right now....Yes I live in Miami.

He's not even been there two years. The year before he got there, they were 1-15. If the fans there are already unhappy, they have bigger issues with being patient/rebuilding than Redskin fans.

Realistically, Pennington was brought in has a place holder. Their future is dependent upon what they can get out of Hene, White, or ever the else he selects to be QB in the near future.

No. You guys are not paying any attention. 2006 was the Skins last dumb spending spree. Lloyd, Archuleta etc. and that falls on Gibbs, who was the head player personnel. 2007, they signed Fletcher. How has that worked out? 2008, the Skins didn't sign a FA.

Now, the fans, media were complaining about how the Skins needed help on the DL. The Skins signed Haynesworth this past offseason. Haynesworth is simply the best DT in the league. The point is, the have signed for need. True or false? Angelos doesn't put in money into the team. Don't be ridiculous.

We sign for need to an extent. Haynesworth was the best DT, but we could've signed Canty and then maybe an OL for the price of Haynesworth. But the main thing is that we sign the big name guys, but they do nothing when they get here. Every Pro Bowl player we've signed through FA has never been to the Pro Bowl as a Redskin. Why is that?

The Orioles comparison is valid. Angelos wanted to do things his way and sign certain players, it didn't work so he brought in McPhail to right the ship. The O's ignored pitching for so long like the Skins have been ignoring the OL. The two are pretty similar.

Honestly this thread is so unfair. When was the last player Snyder brought in that everyone was upset with? The only ones I can remember were Deion Sanders and maybe Bruce Smith.

Everyone here was happy about Archuletta and Brandon Lloyd. They didnt work out but everyone was excited about them. He has brought in a lot of players that have been extremely solid.

The players that got away were Pierce and Ryan Clark. But we got London Fletcher and Horton, so it cant really be a reason why we arent good.

What players did you honestly really want but we couldnt afford? I cant remember losing out on any player besides Javon Kearse, and Im glad we lost that one.

Our problem isnt Free Agent pickups. Our problem is coaching. It has been for a long time. The redskins organization is like a country club for players. They come in and relax. Enjoy their money and if they dont win, oh well. We need someone like Cower or Fisher. Id even take Gruden or Shanahan.

We haven't had a really quality coach in here since Snyder bought the team. Gibbs 2.0 doesnt count because his religion and love atmosphere doesn't work in todays society. We need a proven, ass kicking, tough nose coach. Period.

I think, especially in football, the "one big signing away" has other implications with respect to the roster. The assumption was that this team was going to be better.

If that is the case, it makes sense to do somethings w/ respect to the roster. i.e. keeping Collins, Yoder, Daniels, Rock, and Betts makes some sense (Keeping Wynn makes no sense even if you believe you are set up for a championship run.). If you are going to be medicore (and even what appears to be likely, bad), then keeping all of those guys for some young guys that might contribute in the future, makes less sense (not saying cut them all, but getting rid of some of them).

The problem is they think their core is good enough, and they need that one (or two) player.

Really, they need 4 or 5 players, and you can't get all of them in any given year in FA. Thinking like that changes the mind set of how you design the roster.

I think the problem is that the "one big signing" doesn't match up with what the coaching staff thinks it needs. It was well-publicized last winter that the consensus among the entire staff was that offensive line depth was the problem down the strech. They didn't address it and instead, brought in the most high-profile free agent available in Albert Haynesworth (and by the way, there were some doubts about that signing -- not everyone thought it was a great idea).

As a die-hard Skins/O's fan, I have to disagree about Angelos of late. He used to not put any money into the team (aside from throwing top dollar at washed up FA's that were past their prime). But of late he's appeared to be committed to building from the bottom. Five years ago, they would have offered Roberts and Markakis something ridiculous over two years, and they probably would have bolted (justifiably so). But they gave them good contracts, and they're locked up for 4-5 years now. So I think Angelos is committed to putting money back into the team now. There's no question that Snyder wants to win, and there's no problem with using free agency to do it. But the majority of our players should come from us, not someone else.

Amen brother. The fact is the team is made up of mostly draft and udfa. The problem is not with Snyder. It's with the talent scouts that told Snyder too move up and take JC. It's with the talent scouts that said draft this guy only to cut him after camp. Snyder is willing to spend and thats great. He needs a real GM with talent to evaluate players and fill needs. Vinny sucks.

Archived