Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Anyone Care to Revisit 2000 Draft?

bulldog

All those around who said the Redskins had an easy go of it in selecting LaVar Arrington and Chris Samuels in the first round in 2000 ought now to look at the struggles of Courtney Brown and Peter Warrick, the #1 and #4 picks from that same draft.

Imagine the Skins with Brown and Warrick instead of #56 and #60?

You wouldn't be talking about playoffs in 2003 :)

Another odd turn from 2000 is that two of our other draft choices that year, Harrison (#3) and Cowsette (#6), were released by the club but were subsequently re-acquired and both enter camp again as Redskins in 2003.

How many times do you see teams resign draft choices they themselves release outright or parole off to the practice squad?

would you trade Hovan and Abraham for Samuels?

I wouldn't. In the hierarchy of needs, LT to me looms pretty large if you plan on having your qb play 16 games :)

I think we have what we need to be competitive inside at DT.

A pass rushing DE is definitely on tap for the 2004 offseason, however.

The question, ultimately is not only one of priority but of comparable value.

At his best Samuels may be after Orlando Pace the best LT in the NFC.

Is Abraham that good vis a vis his contemporaries?

Originally posted by Golgo-13

Courtney Brown was considered a "no-brainer," so was Peter Warrick. I think they did their homework and did a hell of a job.

I disagree about the Peter Warrick was a no brainer comment. As I recall, there was a lot of scepticism surrounding his size, attitude, ability to adjust to the NFL, and rightly so. Granted, he's been on a crappy team every year now, but Warrick has done zip to live up to the hype surrounding him. I don't think that has come as a big surprise to a lot of people around the league.

Leave it to the Bengals to take an undersized wr with serious character questions with the #4 overall pick. Shoulda traded that one, shoulda traded it.

As for Lavar and Samuels, no question we got the players we should have with those two picks. BUT, if we end up losing one or both of them without winning a championship first, will it have all been for naught?

I distinctly remember WTEM's Steve Czaban praising the Bengals for drafting Warrick, and saying that the Redskins were fools for passing him up in favor of Samuels. If a "no-brainer" is a pick that can be made by a total moron, Czaban proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Warrick pick is indeed just that :D

Pass on Lavar at #2 for Samuels?! Maybe you can make that stick now, but to have done that on draft day would have been laughed out of the room...we were criticized by several commentators for taking Samuels when we did. Many people (many on this board, even) thought he was too weak in the upper body to be selected where he was.

No, I agree with Bulldog. We played the first round just right in 2000.

Originally posted by Fitzman

I distinctly remember WTEM's Steve Czaban praising the Bengals for drafting Warrick, and saying that the Redskins were fools for passing him up in favor of Samuels. If a "no-brainer" is a pick that can be made by a total moron, Czaban proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Warrick pick is indeed just that

:cheers: :rotflmao: :thumbsup:

Courtney (according to the Cleveland boards) has been to this point a bust. His performance could be summarized as bouts of mediocre play between injuries. This season could be make or break for his career in Cleveland.

It's a good thing I wasn't drafting. I wanted Courtney and was not happy about the trade that brought Samuels. I think you have to give Vinny some credit.

Samuels was a GREAT pick. The Skins struggled for years at LT. It's so nice to have that hole closed.

I watched Samuels all year hoping he would drop to number 12. I was so glad we traded up to pick Samuels. I felt Brown was a Russell Maryland type pick; a solid player but not a number 1 in the whole draft. My only problem was maybe not trading down and picking Urlacker (Sp) instead Arrington. Kiper had him rated high. I still think career wise, Arrington will be better, however, probably not with the skins.

I think Arrington and Snyder will do what is necessary to keep #56 in town. He is one of the best marketing tools that Snyder has for the team on the field and is one of the few players on the team with an outgoing, fan and press oriented personality.

That and the pro bowl berths would be a hard thing for the team to walk away from.

To me the real shame is the showdown brewing with Bailey and his agent.

The Skins can do as they like with Smoot, he is a solid #2 corner but not a franchise performer.

Bailey on the other hand is a player we need to return. We can pair a number of solid corners with him over his career and be pretty well set at the position, just as we were with Green over the years.

When you have that one anchor you can build on that player's skills and roll coverages, etc.. to help out other positions.

Without #24 you are left with a CB position with Smoot, who to this point has not shown great consistency and a guy like Molden who is still a capable player but not a playmaker in the mold of CB.

From what I recall JoePa actually said Courtney Brown was the better player and would make a better pro, but I suppose he may have just not got on particularly well with Arrington.

As for our intentions, all information I have says that we likely would have taken a Tackle with one of our picks, and that Keith Bullock was a primary target (makes one wonder if Cerrato isn't as much an idiot as I think he is), Marvel Smith was a potential target with the 24 slot to address our tackle needs, he was drafted by Pittsburgh if I remember right.

The theme is correct, Courtney Brown and Arrington were neck and neck down the stretch but Brown's character and the perception that he played a position and had skills that were just more difficult to address, than skilled LB had him jump into the #1 slot (Pass Rushing DE with great run D skills) ahead of Arrington.

'99, '00, and '01 were terrific day one drafts (day 2's were not worth mentioning) landing franchise tackles, a shut down corner, a terrific WR (only the second WR draftee with signifigant talent we'd picked up in more than thirty years.), a potential HOF caliber LB, and an excellent young corner (who outright sucked last year, and who the jury is now out on) and to top everything off, we may have landed a franchise QB in Ramsey too. Not bad at all.

Archived