Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many sacks will Smith get next year?

brandies

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

If he truly does that part time thing, Bruce can get 10+ with his expierence and still real good physical ability. He shouldn't have to worry about the run anymore this season, just getting to the qb

I've been watching over last year's games and one thing I've noticed is Smith still has elusiveness to his game and he shows, at times, exceptional burst off the ball. He makes a lot more plays with quick, intense pressure for others than most of us realize. I think if he can be worked in and out of the lineup so he's always fresh, he could certainly get back to the 9 sacks he had last year. Perhaps even go out with a blaze of glory and a double-digit sack season.

His problem is stringing plays together and being consistently able to do what he's clearly able to do in spots. I think Upshaw will help Smith even if Smith ultimately starts. Just having a starting level end to rotate in will help him a great deal I think.

Originally posted by Art

I've been watching over last year's games and one thing I've noticed is Smith still has elusiveness to his game and he shows, at times, exceptional burst off the ball. He makes a lot more plays with quick, intense pressure for others than most of us realize. I think if he can be worked in and out of the lineup so he's always fresh, he could certainly get back to the 9 sacks he had last year. Perhaps even go out with a blaze of glory and a double-digit sack season.

His problem is stringing plays together and being consistently able to do what he's clearly able to do in spots. I think Upshaw will help Smith even if Smith ultimately starts. Just having a starting level end to rotate in will help him a great deal I think.

I agree, I think Smith is going to be real effetive next year in a lesser roll. I don't think we can nail his intensity!

If Smith garnered 9 sacks last year when the defense was often in horrible starting position, why would one think that only 5-7 is 'reasonable' to assume for 2003 when the balance of the team is better?

I will say it again. Upshaw and Smith together make up one very good football player :)

Putting these guys out there in a rotation is like what the Orioles under Earl Weaver used to do, namely go out and get TWO outfielders who coud platoon and combine for 35 homers and 110 RBI's :)

He didn't need George Foster or Dale Murphy out there slugging 50 by himself to win.

Neither do the Redskins.

The Packers for example need a much more aggressive front line because their secondary and linebackers are not capable of making the plays that the Skins back seven can :)

Archived