Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Comes After Bruce Smith's 4th Sack?

I'm going to assume that Bruce Smith will get his 4 sacks to break Reggie White's all-time sack record. I hope it comes soon (like half-way through the Jets game).

There'll be a lot of hype over it and they'll stop the game and make some kind of presentation and all. O.K. I guess Smith deserves it.

But does he just mail it in from that point on? What motivation will Smith have after he breaks the record? If we're not looking like a Super Bowl contender (and a ring is about all Smith lacks), then what's he got to play for?

I hope he gets it, gets all the accolades he deserves, finishes out the year and then rides off into the sunset.

I'm not much of a Bruce Smith fan. I respect what he's done, but he doesn't seem like a "real" Redskin to me. Even though he's been valuable as a rusher. Even though he's been here a few years now.

He still doesn't look right (to me) in the burgundy and gold. It makes me mildly uncomfortable for some odd reason.

I can't believe you guys.

you don't get to this kind of sack record by being a guy who just coasts after breaking the record. This isn't some punk kid who just wants to make a name for himself without the work. Bruce smith is a veteran who cares about the game and has pride in his work, even if he doesn't always work the way others expect him to.

we'll get nothing but effort until he hangs up his cleats.

-DB

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

you don't get to this kind of sack record by being a guy who just coasts after breaking the record. This isn't some punk kid who just wants to make a name for himself without the work. Bruce smith is a veteran who cares about the game and has pride in his work, even if he doesn't always work the way others expect him to.

-DB

I have to agree with DB. Bruce Smith would not be close to record if he was the kind of player that coasted, or needed some special insperation to perform. He is old, he is at the end of his career, but I believe not playing every down will be a big help.

Bruce Smith will get more sacks this year than last.

:dallasuck

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

-DB

:applause: HERE! HERE! Bruce Smith is no loiterer. He will also want to reach the unprecedented 200 sack mark, add to his seasons with 10 sacks record, bow out in the play-offs where he belongs (like Lawrence Taylor wanted to), and finish strong enough to show he yet, left with something in the tank.

I think the public takes him for granted. I predict there will be a surprise next year when he's gone.

Smith still gets little respect from alot of Skins fans, it's a shame. We're very lucky to have had a player of his quality for the past few years. He's a legend, a first ballot Hall of Famer yet I see so many people with a who cares attitude about him.

For the past 2 seasons he's been supposedly better suited for a lesser role, but he always wins the job, and he will again this year.

Had he been a Redskin from the start I'm sure we'd all feel differently about him. But 4 years with one team isn't anything to just sweep under the carpet. I for one appreciate him as a player and what he's brought to our team as far as leadership and quality play.

Just ask Arrington what he means to the team. I don't think you'd find too many guys in that locker room that take him for granted.

What I'm really gonna laugh at is when he decides to retire at the end of the year with his sack record, and then in '04 we win the Super Bowl, so he'll be thinking for the rest of his life, "...if I had just stuck around for one more year:doh:..."

:nana: :nana: :nana:

Here we are at the begginning of another season and everyone is on the I love all the Redskins bandwagon. How can you call Smith a leader all he did when Marty took over was complain about practice being to hard. When Norv was here practice wasn't important.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

Here we are at the begginning of another season and everyone is on the I love all the Redskins bandwagon. How can you call Smith a leader all he did when Marty took over was complain about practice being to hard. When Norv was here practice wasn't important.

The greatest Redskins of all time complained about Marty too...Mr. Green. Bruce has not caused that many waves here and he has been one of best pass rushers, and will be again this year

I expect him to shoot for 200 sacks and give a solid effort. I used to "feel" strange about him in our uni too, but that has wore off. Just think of the big hit he put on Hutchy in the Dallas game when Lavar recovered the fumble. Looked like Dexter crashing into Danny White. I'll tell you one thing, we could've done a whole lot worse than Bruce Smith, and even if he doesn't like practice in August (Riggo didn't like 'em through the week), he does perform come gametime.

Just ask Arrington what he means to the team. I don't think you'd find too many guys in that locker room that take him for granted.

I'm pretty sure you can ask Chris Samuels the same question. Without Smith playing against him every day in practice, I'm not positive that Samuels would be at the Pro Bowl level he is right now.

And for the record, I don't see Bruce slaking off when he gets the record, he's too much of a pro for that, and besides, he'll want to pile up the stats as much as he can before he hangs 'em up.

You saying he'd bail on the team during the season, Chief? Come on ...

I think NOT being counted on to play every down will turn this into a productive year for Smith. At 40, he doesn't need to be fending off 325 lb. OT's any more and trying to defend 25-30 rushing plays a game. And yes, I know ... he's been known to overrun a play or two in his zeal to rush the passer .... but the fact is, when he IS rushing the passer, he still applies pretty consistent pressure.

Lighting the load on him and asking him to do what he still does best, maybe on the order of 20 plays a game and not 40 ... and I still think he can provide a spark AND some productivity on the field. I don't care if he gets 4 sacks or 14 ... if he's putting on pressure and forcing the QB to unload or scramble, Smith is valuable to this team this year. Add in his leadership - something you don't ask fans about, you listen to what the players are saying - and he's a damn nice little commodity.

The Skins need what he can bring -- targeted productivity and leadership.

Oh ... and professionalism (after the requiste "camp injury," that is :) ) ... the kind of professionalism that makes the suggestion he'd walk on the team during a season preposterous.

I think you all are hoping for the best instead of being real. Two year ago Smith had 4 1/2 sacks... Last year with Lavar playing on the other side and Darell Gardner drawing double teams he had 9. Arrington is not going to draw those double teams and Gardner is going to be in Denver. There is no way Bruce will be an impact player this year. He will be lucky to get 2 sacks this season

Archived