Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Obama: Legalize illegals to get them health care

sacase

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/18/obama-ties-immigration-to-health-care-battle/?feat=home_cube_position1

President Obama said this week that his health care plan won't cover illegal immigrants, but argued that's all the more reason to legalize them and ensure they eventually do get coverage.

He also staked out a position that anyone in the country legally should be covered - a major break with the 1996 welfare reform bill, which limited most federal public assistance programs only to citizens and longtime immigrants.

"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken," Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. "That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.

Okay, got it from another source.

So I thought there must have been more quotes by the President to account for the headline. Nope. That was it. Hahha.

"Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don't simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken,"

True or false. We can’t extend coverage to those here illegally, but we can’t ignore the massive problem either….

"That's why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.”

Those that are here LEGALLY should have access to affordable, quality health insurance.

“If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all."

True or false? Every single person on this board has said we need immigration reform. He does not say “Lets make 12 million people citizens” – he says we need reform because immigration is directly tied to health care and it IS a problem that there are 12 million people here. We need to do something.

Amazing headline...........:doh:

Okay, got it from another source.

So I thought there must have been more quotes by the President to account for the headline. Nope. That was it. Hahha.

True or false. We can’t extend coverage to those here illegally, but we can’t ignore the massive problem either….

Those that are here LEGALLY should have access to affordable, quality health insurance.

True or false? Every single person on this board has said we need immigration reform. He does not say “Lets make 12 million people citizens” – he says we need reform because immigration is directly tied to health care and it IS a problem that there are 12 million people here. We need to do something.

Amazing headline...........:doh:

He pretty much implies that he wants to make those 12 million citizens, which is essentially amnesty.

He pretty much implies that he wants to make those 12 million citizens, which is essentially amnesty.

He wants to fix the broken immigration system.

Part of that would likely be a quota system for unskilled worker visas that matches what the economy and employers want; it would include tools for employers to verify legality; it would involve enforcement at border and places of employment; and it have to involve working out how to deal with those here illegally who have roots and there would be a high economic and social cost of deporting.

But all these problems exist today and will exist if nothing new is done on healthcare.

Only if he wants to follow in Ronald Reagan's footsteps.

These peope aren't beneath you.

No...they aren't beneath us. I go back and forth on the amnesty side of immigration. The one thing that usually pulls me back against it is that Reagan did do it and said it would be a one time thing so we could fix the system. Well.....here were are again saying its a one time thing.

Amnesty is a tricky situation. On the surface it sounds bad, and it sounds as if it rewards illegal entry into the US.

I don't know if offering amnesty is a good idea,, it's ripe for abuse, but at the same time, throwing them all back over the border would only make it worse.

I don't have health insurance. It's too expensive. And I sure don't like the idea of paying for someone else's who isn't even a citizen, or only becomes a citizen because they refuse to abide the law.

But, this is the process of negotiation. Obama proposes his side, and the right should propose theirs, and then both work to the middle for a reasonable bill most everyone can get behind. But that doesn't happen. The right's SOP these days is to try to kill everything, no matter what it is. Party politics are more important then the actual issues. There is no negotiation. And that sucks.

~Bang

He's a lying retard.

:hysterical:

Not really. He says, straight up, we need to resolve the issue of illegal immigration. Are you suggesting we don't?

Not really. He says, straight up, we need to resolve the issue of illegal immigration. Are you suggesting we don't?

Honestly, there is nothing to resolve. We just need to start enforcing the laws that are on the books. There is a reason that they are called illegal immigrants. Its sad when you have 12 million people here illegally, but have almost a 10% unemployment rate. Granted the jobs are not that great that they are doing but we need to get americans back to work.

The problem with obama is that instead of addressing this issues of illegal immigration in a seperate conference, he tied it to healthcare. Which to me and many others implies that he wants to make illegals, legal which inturn would grant them healthcare. He is trying to back door it. The reforms that are needed are to punish companies that hire illegals. Hell, there is already the E-verify system that they could use if they were committed to higher people who were able to work legally here, but companies don't want to do that.

Obama's been anything but straight up with the American people about this.

In his big speech a couple of weeks ago, he revised the number of uninsured to over 30 million, from 46 million. He also explicitly said that he wasn't going to cover illegals. The strong implication is that his reform would not be as costly because it wouldn't be paying for those 16ish million people. Now that he's talking about another issue, he reminds everyone that he does support legalization (in some form) for people who are here illegally.

This isn't a debate about whether to legalize these folks, it's a healthcare debate where costs are a major factor.

To tell the country out of one side of your mouth that you only support covering an additional 30 million people while telling people out of the other side of your mouth that you also support changing the legal status of another 12 million people and thus raising the number of new people covered in your healthcare system by 40% (30 to 42 million) is deliberately misleading.

And you people call Joe Wilson the liar.

Now that he's talking about another issue, he reminds everyone that he does support legalization (in some form) for people who are here illegally.
He didn't say that. Also if you did legalize them and they were forced to carry insurance and pay taxes... why wouldn't they be covered again?

People act like illegals are all jobless and homeless. If that were the case big business wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to stricter immigration laws.

(also Obama did NOT say he wants to legalize all illegals... yet. When he does adopt the same plan Bush supported I'll support it again as well. Something does need to be done. The GOP didn't do anything about it with full control, maybe the democrats will pick up where Reagan left off)

He didn't say that. Also if you did legalize them and they were forced to carry insurance and pay taxes... why wouldn't they be covered again?

People act like illegals are all jobless and homeless. If that were the case big business wouldn't be the biggest obstacle to stricter immigration laws.

(also Obama did NOT say he wants to legalize all illegals... yet. When he does adopt the same plan Bush supported I'll support it again as well. Something does need to be done. The GOP didn't do anything about it with full control, maybe the democrats will pick up where Reagan left off)

I'm not arguing against immigration reform. I'm telling you that your president isn't being upfront with the American people about what he's proposing.

He's proposing a system that would cover over 40 million new people, not 30 million. About 12 million of those people who would be eligible under his ideal system are currently here illegally.

Joe Wilson was spot on.

Why is it so hard to wrap your mind around the word illegal. They are here illegally. The only thing that needs to be done is figure out the best way to round them up and put them out of the country. Perhaps the best way to do it, is to start taking away business liceneses for company's that hire them. i have no problem with people who come here legally, they are doing things by the rules, I do have a problem with those here illegally. Yes, I believe the article title is accurate and I do believe that obama wants to legalize them and provide them health insurance.

Why is it so hard to wrap your mind around the word illegal. They are here illegally. The only thing that needs to be done is figure out the best way to round them up and put them out of the country. Perhaps the best way to do it, is to start taking away business liceneses for company's that hire them. i have no problem with people who come here legally, they are doing things by the rules, I do have a problem with those here illegally. Yes, I believe the article title is accurate and I do believe that Obama wants to legalize them and provide them health insurance.

It's not hard for my mind to grasp the situation, their status, or the possible solutions. I tend to be abstract thinker to begin with and as such rarely focus on one aspect of anything. I also favor practical solutions over blind allegiance to ideological principles. Kicking them all out provides no real benefit to the US and a real problem with congested court system and an inefficient immigration system in my opinion.

As for the best way to curb illegal immigration I think that hold individuals responsible is better than attacking businesses. Businesses are not afraid of anything because the worst you can do is shut it down and the decision makers rarely struggle to find employment. Individuals however are consistently self interested. Put their asses on the line and watch as hiring practices change over night. Much like we did with "cooking the books" where CEOs and CFOs face real jail time (not just company fines) we can do for illegal immigration. The hiring manager that hires them should face jail time. Doesn't have to be long, 6 months would do it. Long enough to make certain he loses his job and suffers financially.

As for the article's accuracy, it doesn't matter what you believe. You can believe the sky is purple and that water isn't wet. Reality is what it is and the article's title is inaccurate.

Archived