Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Priest Holmes prepared to hold out...

AJWatson3

Holmes' status remains Chief concern

By Darrell Trimble

NFL Insider

Send an Email to Darrell Trimble Friday, July 11

Updated: July 11

10:22 AM ET

They say the third time is a charm, and Dick Vermeil has borne that out. In his third season as head coach of Philadelphia and St. Louis, he went to the Super Bowl, with the Rams winning in 1999. With year three in Kansas City starting on Sept. 7, the fans in Kansas City certainly hope that the past is a window to the future. But recent developments may conspire to keep the Chiefs out of the Super Bowl, and maybe even the playoffs.

Running back Priest Holmes dropped his veil of silence on a local radio show Wednesday and said that his injured hip is fully healed and he'll be ready to star in the season opener. Of course, that's contingent upon general manager Carl Peterson offering him a fat new contract. If not, Holmes is adamant about sitting out for at least the first game of the season.

Holmes' frustration is understandable. He has three years remaining on the five-year, $8 million contract, but over the past two years there hasn't been a better back in the league. Since the start of the 2001 season, Holmes has rolled up 4,456 total yards of offense and crossed the goal line 36 times. Since then, he's seen backs like Marshall Faulk, Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon sign mega-deals with signing bonus averaging over $9 million. That's more than value of Holmes' entire deal.

However, the Chiefs do have a very good reason for not wanting to spend big bucks on their best player. During the interview Holmes admitted that during his rehab he wasn't exactly forthright with the team. Holmes had been telling everyone that his rehab was going smoothly, when in fact he was in so much pain that he had to have surgery on the hip in March to accelerate the healing process. And though Holmes feels he can come back stronger, the Chiefs want him to prove it before they shell out any more cash.

One solution would be to throw Holmes a bone and give him some additional money this season. That way the Chiefs wouldn't be on the hook for lots of money if he doesn't pan out. Another solution would be to create incentives in his contract that would enable him to void the final year of his deal. That way, a healthy Holmes would be able to strike it rich on the free-agent market in 2004.

However, Peterson hasn't given any indication that he's willing to renegotiate anything.

"I've talked about extending his contract," Peterson told the Kansas City Star. "I'm not offering a new contract, and I'm not interested in tearing up his current contract and throwing that away. He signed a five-year deal. We both agreed to it."

In an attempt to gain leverage, the team drafted running back Larry Johnson with its first-round pick. But it's Holmes who holds all the cards in this confrontation. No player is more important to his team. He accounted for 37.2 percent of Kansas City's total offense last year, behind Ricky Williams (39.8) and LaDainian Tomlinson (39.5). But Holmes missed two games, and prior to that he accounted for 41 percent of the Chiefs' total offense.

Also, no running back was more capable of keeping drives alive. Holmes led the league in first downs with 130, 20 more than his nearest competitor, Tomlinson. To give you an idea of how dominant he was last year, he was on pace to break Faulk's records for total yards from scrimmage (2,429) and touchdowns (26), but he was also on pace to break O.J. Simpson's 27-year-old record for most yards from scrimmage per game (160.3).

And how did the Chiefs fare with him on the sidelines? In the 14 games with Holmes, the Chiefs averaged 389 yards a game and 32 points. In the two games without the Pro Bowler, Kansas City averaged 276 yards and 12 points.

But Priest alone couldn't ensure the Chiefs a spot in the postseason. Their defense was horrible, and in the offseason the club prioritized that side of the ball by acquiring free agents Vonnie Holliday, Shawn Barber and Dexter McCleon. That, along with the return of Jerome Woods, who was lost last preseason with a broken leg, and the expected maturation of former first-round pick Ryan Sims could improve the defense enough for the team to contend for the playoffs.

But that's only if the offense can be as explosive as it was last year. And unless the Chiefs find a creative way to appease Holmes, that won't happen and all the team's work to improve the D will be for naught.

let me get this straight. Holmes is coming off an injury some thought may have been career threatening and he is worried about holding out?

talk about cheek.

if I were the Chiefs I would tell him I wanted to see him in uniform again being productive before I gave him an extension.

perhaps he knows something about his longevity that makes him desperate to get some more guaranteed dollars now?

"Holmes' frustration is understandable. He has three years remaining on the five-year, $8 million contract, but over the past two years there hasn't been a better back in the league. Since the start of the 2001 season, Holmes has rolled up 4,456 total yards of offense and crossed the goal line 36 times. Since then, he's seen backs like Marshall Faulk, Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon sign mega-deals with signing bonus averaging over $9 million. That's more than value of Holmes' entire deal."

Hmmm....you've got 3 freakin' years left on the contract and you don't like it? Too bad.

I remember back when Priest came to K.C. - there wasn't anyone out there who'd have signed him to a 5-year deal. Sorry that $8 million isn't enough.....sorry you made what you now feel is a bad deal...

Ain't it a shame K.C. drafted Larry Johnson?

holmes should wait out a game or two... once they realize that LJ is over-rated they will be begging Priest to come back...

look how LJ performed against any decent college D, then look at how he did against good ones... then imagine him playing against pro's.

people complain about Tony Hollings only putting up good numbers against bad run defenses... well Larry Johnson is what happens when that happens and a guy stays healthy over the whole season-- first round draft pick.

Archived