Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: ‘There Is Only So Much a Leader Can Say and a Leader Can Do’

JetSkins

He did take blame. He mentioned both of the big mistakes he made. I didn't see him blame someone else for throwing the INT, nor did I see him blame anyone else for his fumble.

He said there are things I can do better of course etc. etc. Frinking BS, he has no leaderships skills and is a follower. Hell turn him into a WR where his height can do us some good.

This cracked me up:

"You know there are things that I feel like we can do. Eventually, I will feel that we will get to doing them."

-----------------------------

Jason buddy wake up and smell the roses!!! Dude this is your 5th year on the team. There are not going to be "eventually" this year. It is a little too late trying to figure out how you are going to gel with your offense. But you might eventually do this on a another team next year!!!!

This cracked me up:

"You know there are things that I feel like we can do. Eventually, I will feel that we will get to doing them."

-----------------------------

Jason buddy wake up and smell the roses!!! Dude this is your 5th year on the team. There are not going to be "eventually" this year. It is a little too late trying to figure out how you are going to gel with your offense. But you might eventually do this on a another team next year!!!!

agreed. the entire offense needs to step up right now. i don't care if its against the rams or not. they need to show us some serious improvement this week.

Didn't Samuels say he has pretty much 5 games to put up or shut up?

Lies. Samuels would never say something like that. The team I follow is full of good samaritans who want nothing more than to spread good will and joy to their fellow man. There's no way one would say something classless like that. Besides, Jason needs to be locked up for the next 10 years. I can't believe we're talking about releasing him, already. He's had just one full-year as a starter.

Didn't Samuels say he has pretty much 5 games to put up or shut up?

Indeed he did so that's one game down and 4 or 5 more to go.

I'm not going to pile on JC,but didn't TC yell at Sellers for lining up wrong when he was the starting qb in 2007? That was caught on tv. I didn't see Sellers or anyone else going to pieces over it. Sometimes it's called for. I really feel for JC,he's a nice young man but heis days are numbered in D.C.

The problem is you don't see the reasons for this. Zorn has worked for years with Jason Campbell and decides that his best chance for winning is to run the ball instead of letting Jason throw it. The play calling might be suspect but the reason Zorn does that is he himself has no faith in Jason Campbell. He is the closest person to him and he doesn't trust him. That's not handicuffing him in my eyes, that's him saying you are over estimating Jason's abilities. Zorn is fighting for his job too and needs wins just as much as Jason does if not more and he is going to game plan as best he can to WIN. Zorn doesn't handcuff Jason unless it's to limit the opportunities for Jason to make mistakes

I've been saying the same things but Zorn needs to let Campbell lose a game. He's not saving his job by going 8-8 again, 28th in points with superior talent at every position on the team.

It's been the same BS for 37 starts now. As soon as he ****s up they go back to the playing not to lose ****. But they still lose as often as you'll lose a coin toss.

Let him lose a game, let him throw 3 Ints and fumble 3 times. If he's any good he will do what Roethlisberger/Favre/Mc Nabb does, if not then bench him. They should have done this 3-4 years ago IMO. We'd either have Campbell playing at a pro bowl level with tons of offensive talent around him or we'd have drafted Sanchez for real because we would have gone 3-13 last year.

:chair::chair::chair::chair:

seriously i don't understand Zorn.

YOUR JOB IS ON THE LINE.

do you want to lose your job because you are hung up on running a traditional WCO and running unsuccessfully on every first down?

or do you want to try and save your job by adjusting you scheme to utilize your players strengths and exploit other teams weaknesses?

its do or die time and its like Zorn doesn't even care about losing his job because he is so unwilling to make necessary adjustments in his offensive scheme

heres where you killed me.

you have no idea what the redskins players think. and anything they say to the media is scripted. they cant come out and say "the guy isnt a leader, nobody thinks hes good". they have to say the typical "hes good, hes our guy, blah blah".

cmon man, you know better than to say something with nothing to back it up.

Say's the king of speculation and conjecture. :doh: 90% of the negative things you say about Campbell is your opinion with little to nothing to back it up. Just saying.

lol, exactly. completely impossible to know what they think about the situation, and theyd never tell anybody outside that locker room for fear of media explosion.

if our offense plays poorly for the next 6-7 weeks, some "anonymous" player will spill their guts about it to the WaPo and we'll go from there.

Funny how the players in the locker room "off the record" threw the scripted playcalling of the coaches under the bus and not JC. Had no problems with saying that but they're shaking in their shoes in talking about JC.

Again, you ask for facts from others who speculate but don't present anything yourself but speculation and ASSumptions. However, most of us are on a lower plane of football existence than you and wvbred or whatever his name is.

Funny how JC was like 14/17 in the shotgun with something like 150+ yards but we don't keep him there against the giants front four. Doesn't Brady and Peyton spend most of their time in the shotgun? Guess it's JC's fault and no blame should be placed on the coaching and their run left ad nauseum.

I've been saying the same things but Zorn needs to let Campbell lose a game. He's not saving his job by going 8-8 again, 28th in points with superior talent at every position on the team.

It's been the same BS for 37 starts now. As soon as he ****s up they go back to the playing not to lose ****. But they still lose as often as you'll lose a coin toss.

Let him lose a game, let him throw 3 Ints and fumble 3 times. If he's any good he will do what Roethlisberger/Favre/Mc Nabb does, if not then bench him. They should have done this 3-4 years ago IMO. We'd either have Campbell playing at a pro bowl level with tons of offensive talent around him or we'd have drafted Sanchez for real because we would have gone 3-13 last year.

:chair::chair::chair::chair:

This is agree with...We never let Campbell fall fully on his face...How can a QB learn or progress if he is never allowed to make mistakes or fail? That's why he is a 5yr pro but playing QB like a 1st or 2nd yr starter...If you want to find out if a QB can cut it or not in this league you throw everything at him, and see how he reacts/rebounds...You don't coddle and protect them to no end, that only slows the development...

Funny how JC was like 14/17 in the shotgun with something like 150+ yards but we don't keep him there against the giants front four. Doesn't Brady and Peyton spend most of their time in the shotgun? Guess it's JC's fault and no blame should be placed on the coaching and their run left ad nauseum.

-Thats cause from the shotgun he was more or less running a spread offense... Its actually quite easy for a QB to complete most of those throws, none were difficult or exceptional passes other than the TD toss to Cooley.. On that play I give him some credit, he noticed the cover 2 man on that series, and he made em pay going up the middle... Great play call, great execution.

-Back to the point, any half descent QB in the NFL can make these short underneath slant routes and curls... The problem is as the field gets smaller DB's can react much quicker, and the passes become much more difficult to complete... Hence the reason you see the effective spread offenses begin to take some chances once you cross the 50.. Campbell can't/doesn't take those chances, so we are often left kicking a FG, because he simply isn't good enough to make the passes from a spread offense once the field shortens up..

-This idea that some have that putting him in shotgun will lead us to the promise land are incorrect, it will lead us to another game of FG

-Jason needs to work on his passing from other formations, with a RB on the field and with a dropback.. Plays that utilize the threat of Portis, but not necessarily Portisi himself... Plays from these formations are what keep a defense on there toes, because the defense has to play the run, the play-action pass and the pass... 3 options compared to the 1 option spread shotgun we run a bunch in the game

I completely and totally agree with SkinsFTW, Zorn needs to put the game in his QB's hands. Forget maintaining JC's confidence with regular running plays whenever he begins to struggle, this is year 2 in Zorn's alleged "west coast offence," JC should have a pretty good idea of how this system works and should be plenty capable of executing the west coast O, which I thought was about throwing the football. Our ol' "smashmouth" style should no doubt resonate whenever we call the run, but in a west coast offense it's all about finesse. Finesse, my friends, is how both JC and Zorn are going to have to get it done- and to do that they both have to be bolder, smarter, and more confident on the field. They gotta live and die by the sword... or in their case the west coast style of play.

-Thats cause from the shotgun he was more or less running a spread offense... Its actually quite easy for a QB to complete most of those throws, none were difficult or exceptional passes other than the TD toss to Cooley.. On that play I give him some credit, he noticed the cover 2 man on that series, and he made em pay going up the middle... Great play call, great execution.

-Back to the point, any half descent QB in the NFL can make these short underneath slant routes and curls... The problem is as the field gets smaller DB's can react much quicker, and the passes become much more difficult to complete... Hence the reason you see the effective spread offenses begin to take some chances once you cross the 50.. Campbell can't/doesn't take those chances, so we are often left kicking a FG, because he simply isn't good enough to make the passes from a spread offense once the field shortens up..

-This idea that some have that putting him in shotgun will lead us to the promise land are incorrect, it will lead us to another game of FG

-Jason needs to work on his passing from other formations, with a RB on the field and with a dropback.. Plays that utilize the threat of Portis, but not necessarily Portisi himself... Plays from these formations are what keep a defense on there toes, because the defense has to play the run, the play-action pass and the pass... 3 options compared to the 1 option spread shotgun we run a bunch in the game

It falls back on zorn. The run was not working. The passing game was. Yet if you look at the plays called in the second half every throw Jason made were 3rd downs, most 3rd and long.

"Until their final drive, which produced their only offensive touchdown, the Redskins would see eight first-down calls in the final two quarters. They ran on seven of them. Their gross yardage on those seven mad dashes: four yards.

Sequentially, the runs went this way: 2, 1, 1, 3, 3, -6, 0."

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/For_Zorn__Play_Calling_Remains_a_Balancing_Act_51199.jsp

The point is the run was not working. The Giants were stacking the box. Cooley and Randle El both were getting good yards in the middle.

Yet we kept running. We kept giving JC and the offense 3rd and long.

So you are advocating starting Collins correct?

I am. I feel that the offense will open up with more pass plays called if it's Todd running this then if we stick with Jason. I don't think we can rely on the running of Portis anymore and to suceed we need to have our QB make plays. Jason's completion percentage was high last game because of the lack of trust I feel they have in him. I think the offense would click better and have more sustained drives with Collins then trying to do it wth Campbell. I believe this comes down to trust. I think Zorn trusted Campbell last season when it started, then fell out of trust with him midway through the season and he's stuck with him now since we couldn't trade him for someone better. The only reason I can see to keep the job in Jason's hands is to save ourselves embarrassment in case something happens to Collins mid season and we have to go back to Jason and he bails us out and leaves next year. That would crush the team to see a good QB leave us but to me the jury's been decided since last year and Jason's not our answer.

This is agree with...We never let Campbell fall fully on his face...How can a QB learn or progress if he is never allowed to make mistakes or fail? That's why he is a 5yr pro but playing QB like a 1st or 2nd yr starter...If you want to find out if a QB can cut it or not in this league you throw everything at him, and see how he reacts/rebounds...You don't coddle and protect them to no end, that only slows the development...

You can if you trust they have what's in them to suceed in that enviroment. You simply can't "throw a game" away just hoping to see the QB either fall on his face or do well. You game plan to your strengths. If the coaches thought Jason could do well in that situation then they would put him in that situation, but they don't so that tells me what I've suspected since he came here. Jason Campbell looks like a QB, throws like a QB but thinks and acts not like a QB. And to not speak like someone who is speculating some of the things this last game that caused me to continue to feel this way...fumbling the ball leading to a score, audibling to a run play, passing the line of scrimmage by a couple of yards and then throwing it, and throwing over Santana's head on the one downfield pass play by a good 3 yards...I mean how many times have we seen him consistantly do these things?

So you are advocating starting Collins correct?
I am.

I'm with you, Addicted, but not for a couple weeks. The Giants' defense was ferocious last week and I can see where any QB would have had a "bad" game. However, I think we've seen enough of the same to know that Jason Campbell is a big, strong, fast athlete and Todd Collins is at least a quarterback. My only fear about going with him is that he was born into and raised in Gibbs-style systems. The WCO might befuddle him just as much as it has Campbell. I think the fact that TC is actually a QB will help him more than JC, but I wouldn't expect grand change. I will go on the record with you though, as being absolutley for starting Todd Collins if JC looks the same against the Rams.

If the coaches thought Jason could do well in that situation then they would put him in that situation, but they don't so that tells me what I've suspected since he came here. Jason Campbell looks like a QB, throws like a QB but thinks and acts not like a QB. And to not speak like someone who is speculating some of the things this last game that caused me to continue to feel this way...fumbling the ball leading to a score, audibling to a run play, passing the line of scrimmage by a couple of yards and then throwing it,

Oh, I agree totally. I know he's played badly but that has nothing to do with my point.

If they are going to go down with him then let him play to win. If not then bench his ass and admit that it was a mistake in 2006 to even let him step foot on the field when he was no where near ready.

Remember, Collins outright won the competetion in preseason in 06, over even Brunell. Who started? Brunell for 9 games, he was complete garbage with a great comp% and TD/INT ratio. We wanted a change to win so what did they do?

They brought out Campbell.

Archived