Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Chris Cooley the best tight end the Redskins have ever had?

SMOSS89

Not only do I think that, but I think no other player in Dan Snyder's tenure has been dealt with and handled more perfectly.

3rd round pick. Got him to be a starter his rookie year. Out played his contract after 3 years. Then extended him to keep him here long term. And now is a fixture in this era of the franchise. And still produces every Sunday.

No other player besides Chris Samuels has been as consistent at what he does than Cooley since Snyder took over. He is the best tight end in franchise history and one of our most depended upon players.

I was thinking Don Warren, he was voted one of the 70 greatest Skins but his #s aren't nearly as good as Cooleys are.

Warren's Stats

Games played 193

Receiving yards 2,536

Touchdowns 7

Cooley

Games Played 81

Receptions 321

Receiving yards 3525

Touchdowns 29

Clint Didier

Games Played 105

Receptions 141

Receiving yards 1923

Touchdowns 21

Jerry Smith

Games Played 168

Receptions 421

Receiving yards 5496

Touchdowns 60

So maybe, but Warren does have a ring.

Edit: Looking at Smith numbers, dude was a stud...I have to admit I don't know much about him but I will be looking into it now.

I was thinking Don Warren, he was voted one of the 70 greatest Skins but his #s aren't nearly as good as Cooleys are.

Warren's Stats

Games played 193

Receiving yards 2,536

Touchdowns 7

Cooley

Games Played ?

Receptions 321

Receiving yards 3525

Touchdowns 29

So maybe, but Warren does have a ring.

3 rings. And he was a member of the Hogs, Cooley can't block so he doesn't. Different styles.

In the modern game, as a receiving TE, he's certainly the best I've seen in the B&G in my 26 years watching games.

He blows Donny Warren out of the water #'s wise, though the ex-Hog beats him hands down on the blocking front, not that Cooley isn't a competent blocker. And looking at Jerry Smith whom Dan T. mentioned he sure had a great career #'s wise too way back when.

I think the best compliment I could pay Captain Chaos is to say he could fit right into any of our SB teams, and not look out of place with the talent around him.

Hail.

Obviously, I am a big fan of Clint Didier. Totally loved the Didier's TD in SBXXII, when the announcer said "this is Didier territory" and Didier catchs the TD in the next play. I love old school Redskins.

But I have to admit, there is something special about Cooley's game. He is so clutch on 3rd downs, always finds the soft spot in the zone, makes defenders miss, and it takes several guys to bring him down. I am forced to admit Cooley is the best Redskins pass-catching tight end I've seen. No disrepect to Clint Didier...

I think the best compliment I could pay Captain Chaos is to say he could fit right into any of our SB teams, and not look out of place with the talent around him.

Hail.

Excellent point.

When you look at Jerry Smith's career numbers and compare them to modern players, factor in two things: NFL seasons were only 14 games, and it was the era before the 5 yard-only contact rule for DBs. Backs and linebackers could mug receivers all over the field then

Smith was a 2-time Pro Bowler and was all-Pro one year. He may have had more but he played in an era that produced 5 of the 7 tight ends in the NFL Hall of Fame - Mike Ditka, Jackie Smith, Charlie Sanders, and John Mackey, and Dave Casper.

Archived