Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Week 1 most intelligent play vs most bonehead play

Leopard11

1. Most Intelligent, well a no brainer here obviously semi hail mary Brandon Stokely's deflection. He got in a good position close to the play to make a catch if the pass was deflected,(most of the time)people bunch up to close on a hail mary and if there is a deflection nobody is 8 to 10 feet away where the ball ends up on the ground. Very lucky catch but put himself in a great position to make a play if there was a chance. Then the wit to out run the clock along the goal line! I mean how many times do you see a player smart enough to do that? NEVER.

2. Dumbest Play, L.McKelvin of Buffalo, your team is up by 5 points with 2:06 in the 4th. After a pats failed 2 point conversion the kick off is deep! He fielded the ball in the end zone it looked like to me(i might be wrong). Why would you not take a knee there and take the 20??? Why chance it? Instead he decides to win or lose the game himself and he made it out to about the 33, ran into traffic and opened himself up and got stripped, GAME OVER! Because you know what comes next Brady with 45 secs on the buffalo 33 is money in the bank!

While i don't disagree with those selections...for the sake of conversation i will throw out the following...

More dumbest plays nominees...

Jason Campbell- how can you throw an interception while being over the line of scrimmage? Not sure it has ever happened before or will ever happen again.

Roy Williams/Any other Safety on Cincy- Roy goes for the head shot instead of playing it safe and keeping everyone in front of you.

Ref in Oakland game who decided to overturn the TD by the Oakland Wr because the ball 'moved'.

Edit:

Oh. and the dumbest successive plays was Jay Cutler where he literally threw the ball in defenders hands 3 times in a row (all dropped) before finally throwing another ball for an interception in the first half of last nights game. I was amazed...

Intelligent - stokely

boneheaded - bears' long snapper Mannelly, who tried to catch the opposing team with 12 men on the field, quickly snapped it to their cover guy, who rushed for nothing, turning it over on downs in stead of punting.

ah....good one on Mannelly...

Intelligent - stokely

boneheaded - bears' long snapper Mannelly, who tried to catch the opposing team with 12 men on the field, quickly snapped it to their cover guy, who rushed for nothing, turning it over on downs in stead of punting.

Nice lol.. I think that one has to go on Lovie Smith though, cant imagine a long snapper just calling and audible like that on 4th and 11, and I think you can see him look to the sideline for the signal before the snap.

My vote for the worst is tied between the kick return fumble and the the fake punt long snapper, both were horrible and both cost their team the game. All the time,money, sweat, tears, millions of dollars and thats what it comes to, one stupid.

Most intelligent was Stokely running out the clock even though I thought he could have ran it out a little more.

bonehead- Chicago long snapper calling for a quick snap to the upback on 4th down to catch a 12th man before getting off the field... smart right? wrong, the penalty is only 5 yards, it was 4th and 8, it forced the upback to try and convert, but failed, and after all that he was too slow in snapping the ball and the extra man was safely on the sidelines

Ref in Oakland game who decided to overturn the TD by the Oakland Wr because the ball 'moved'.

What annoyed me most about this play was that the one replay that actually showed the ball moving was only shown on TV like once. The kept showing replays that you couldn't see anything on. There was one replay that clearly showed the ball moving out of his hands. I didn't watch the 2nd half so I'm not sure if they revisited that play during the broadcast or not.

I don't know what McKelvin's thought process was on bringing it out, but I didn't think bringing it out was a terrible idea. In fact, as he was receiving it, I thought he SHOULD HAVE brought it out.

Why? Because bringing it out could bring the clock down to the 2 minute warning, thus eliminating one stoppage of the clock for the Patriots, leaving them one less timeout should they get the ball back.

Now, what was stupid was trying to do ANYTHING but run it to the sidelines. McKelvin just blasted it up the middle and was fighting for yardage - exactly what the Patriots wanted to see.

I'd say Campbell's 3 yards over the LOS with room to run interception had this play beat for out and out stupidity, because there was a reasonable rationale for taking the kick out.

Dumbest was def. McElvin from Buffalo last night.

I don't know how you can call Stokley's play smart. It's not like he KNEW that ball was going to be tipped. The only reason he was in that area was because the route he ran put him there. Running along the goal line to milk the clock, now that was smart.

I also don't know how you can call the JC INT the dumbest play. Santana was equally culpable for being lazy and not coming back to the ball.

I have to agree on Stoakley and also with those that have said Roy Williams with the Bengals, he didnt have a bad game at all and I am really rooting for him to have HUGE success in Cincy, but to go for a hit when the ball is clearly in the air and leave Stoakley behind him with 30 on the clock is CRAZY!!!! Find the ball Roy, find the ball.......thats what we teach DB's at all levels, locate the football in the air!!!!!!!!!

Dumbest was def. McElvin from Buffalo last night.

I don't know how you can call Stokley's play smart. It's not like he KNEW that ball was going to be tipped. The only reason he was in that area was because the route he ran put him there. Running along the goal line to milk the clock, now that was smart.

I also don't know how you can call the JC INT the dumbest play. Santana was equally culpable for being lazy and not coming back to the ball.

Cant blame MOSS at all on that, he saw JC was way..WAAAAY over the line, why would he imagine that JC would throw the ball at that point...JC just lost his place and made a bad play, blamming Moss for that at all is just unfair!

You really don't know??? JC was 3 yards past the LOS when he decided to throw it. No matter what Moss did or didn't do, he didn't make JC throw an illegal forward pass.

What annoyed me most about this play was that the one replay that actually showed the ball moving was only shown on TV like once. The kept showing replays that you couldn't see anything on. There was one replay that clearly showed the ball moving out of his hands. I didn't watch the 2nd half so I'm not sure if they revisited that play during the broadcast or not.

They did revisit it again but when do you draw the line for a ball moving? The was getting up and it moved...I think refs have to stop splitting hairs on these calls...

2. Dumbest Play, L.McKelvin of Buffalo, your team is up by 5 points with 2:06 in the 4th. After a pats failed 2 point conversion the kick off is deep! He fielded the ball in the end zone it looked like to me(i might be wrong). Why would you not take a knee there and take the 20??? Why chance it? Instead he decides to win or lose the game himself and he made it out to about the 33, ran into traffic and opened himself up and got stripped, GAME OVER! Because you know what comes next Brady with 45 secs on the buffalo 33 is money in the bank!

I don't know if I agree with this being the dumbest. Buffalo really took it to NE last night and if you go into a shell, it becomes contagious to the rest of your team. If the ball was kicked 5-6 yards deep in the EZ, then yes, I agree. Biggest mistake he made was not wrapping it up at first contact.

Isn't Stokley the same guy that ran over and stopped Brandon Marshall from pulling out a prop to celebrate a game winning touchdown catch last year?

If it wasn't for him, it would've been 15 yards back on the kickoff that could setup the opponent with good field position to score last minute.

The guy has his head in the game at all times.

true true. My bad. I didn't realize that JC was that far over the LOS. Watching the play, I thought he may have been slightly over but not that much. I stand corrected. I still don't know if that's the dumbest play of the weekend, I mean that play did not cost us the game like the guy from the Bills did.

Archived