Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Plays, or, The Redskins' Bane

JaimeDeCurry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Big plays win football games.

That's all you need to know about the NFL of today. This isn't the NFL of the 70s or 80s. This isn't four yards and a cloud of dust. There is too much parity in the league now for that type of play, and it does not work. What you need in this age of the NFL to win consistently is more big plays than your opponent. This has been the downfall of the Redskins for over a decade.

Our defense has been good at preventing big plays by opponents, but rarely - if ever - comes up with a big play of their own during games.

Our offense has been good at limiting mistakes that can lead to big plays by opposing defenses, but rarely - if ever - comes up with a big play on their side of the ball when needed.

This conservative, mediocre style of play has lead us to where we are now. The Redskins have become to mediocrity what the Raiders are to disarray. The games we won last year, we won on big plays. The games we lost, the other team came up with big plays while we faltered. This team seems to have an allergy to the big play. We're consistently near the bottom of the league in takeaways, sacks, defensive touchdowns, etc. Ditto for the offensive side in terms of long touchdown passes, long runs, big third and fourth down conversions, and so forth.

This team obviously has the talent to create such opportunities. There's a dynamic receiver in Santana Moss, a top five tailback in Clinton Portis, a quarterback who has shown flashes of brilliance, and a defense with more pure talent than the vast majority of other teams in the league. For some reason, though, there has been a complete aversion to the big play. We know it can happen (see first half of last season). The issue is, it simply does not happen often enough to take us from the swamp of mediocrity where we reside to the upper echelon of NFL teams.

In my opinion, it comes from the coaches and not the players. There has been nobody to light a fire under these players and instill a championship mentality. Mediocrity breeds more mediocrity. Look at teams like the Raiders, Lions, Bengals and 49ers. They've spent years wallowing at the bottom of the league. They certainly have some explosive talent, but have not done anything with it. We reside in a division far too competitive to continue to just be a "good" team. The coaches need to find a way to instill a winning, championship attitude into the Redskins. I understand the offensive side of the ball is still very young, but it is not an excuse for the lack of fire they've displayed. And there is even less excuse for the defense. There is no reason whatsoever that our defense is lacking for big, game-changing plays. They cannot continue to give up 8-minute, 13 play drives or we will not ascend to that next level.

If the coaches on this team cannot find a way to bolster the team's overall attitude and instill that "fight for every inch" attitude, then the front office needs to find someone who will. I'm all for continuity, and a sincerely hope that this coaching staff will turn things into an upward trend, but that big-play mentality need to come to fruition, or this team will continue to reside in the 7-9 to 9-7 territory for years to come.

The players. How many times in the past have we seen Campbell over throw a wide open receiver or throw a bad pass? No wonder the coaches don't go for big plays, Jason can't make them in a game. If Jason had the accuracy to go with his arm strength chances go way up that if he makes these plays in practice on a consistant basis they get called in game time situations. Bottom line is Jason has the frame to be an NFL QB but he's missing the brain and heart to be one

The players. How many times in the past have we seen Campbell over throw a wide open receiver or throw a bad pass? No wonder the coaches don't go for big plays, Jason can't make them in a game. If Jason had the accuracy to go with his arm strength chances go way up that if he makes these plays in practice on a consistant basis they get called in game time situations. Bottom line is Jason has the frame to be an NFL QB but he's missing the brain and heart to be one

Big plays don't come from just the quarterback position. In fact, pretty much the only big plays we've had in the past few years have come from the QB spot, whether it be Brunell or Campbell. Our defense avoids big plays like the plague, and our offense is about as explosive as a wet firecracker. I think it starts from the top, and that's all on Zorn.

If you want big plays, then get players who make big plays. Get a QB like McNabb or Big Ben who keeps plays alive and throws deep well. Get a bunch of runt receivers, burners like Santana. Then add fast and elusive little running backs to the mix.

Your team will probably lose to teams who grind out ball control and play the field position game well, but you'll have an exciting team to watch.

If you want big plays, then get players who make big plays. Get a QB like McNabb or Big Ben who keeps plays alive and throws deep well. Get a bunch of runt receivers, burners like Santana. Then add fast and elusive little running backs to the mix.

Your team will probably lose to teams who grind out ball control and play the field position game well, but you'll have an exciting team to watch.

very good call oldfan. im worried about you though, this made a lot of sense. are you feeling ok? lol :cheers:

Sure, if you only have big-play threats on offense. Then you leave yourself open to teams like that. But if you also have a big-play defense, then you set yourself up to win a very large number of games. Look at the records of the teams that are traditionally known as "big play" defenses (takeaways, sacks, forced fumbles, etc):

Steelers: 12-4, won Super Bowl

Ravens: 11-5, lost in AFC Championship Game

Titans: 13-3, best record in NFL

Giants: 12-4, lost in NFC Divisional round

You have to admit that the grind-it-out mentality does not work as well in today's NFL as it did twenty years ago. Forced turnovers, big-yardage plays, special teams scores, etc are the difference in most NFL games now.

Sure, if you only have big-play threats on offense. Then you leave yourself open to teams like that. But if you also have a big-play defense, then you set yourself up to win a very large number of games. Look at the records of the teams that are traditionally known as "big play" defenses (takeaways, sacks, forced fumbles, etc):

Steelers: 12-4, won Super Bowl

Ravens: 11-5, lost in AFC Championship Game

Titans: 13-3, best record in NFL

Giants: 12-4, lost in NFC Divisional round

You have to admit that the grind-it-out mentality does not work as well in today's NFL as it did twenty years ago. Forced turnovers, big-yardage plays, special teams scores, etc are the difference in most NFL games now.

Of those defenses you listed, the only one that was really outstanding in takeaways was the Ravens, and most of their success can be attributed to one player -- Ed Reed.

Some aggressiveness in trying for the big play is a good thing on offense and defense, but don't make the mistake of thinking that, if some is good, more must be better.

Of those defenses you listed, the only one that was really outstanding in takeaways was the Ravens, and most of their success can be attributed to one player -- Ed Reed.

Some aggressiveness is a good thing on offense and defense, but don't make the mistake of thinking that, if some is good, more must be better.

Takeaways aren't the only measure of a defense that makes plays. Sacks, tackles for loss, forced fumbles, consistently winning battles on 3rd and short...these are the types of plays that make a good defense great.

Statistically, our defense performed roughly as well as the Giants did. However, they had three sacks to our one, they had a stripped ball for a touchdown, and they had a tremendous three-and-out after our only interception.

I still stand by my hypothesis that big plays are what win or lose games for you in today's NFL, and the Redskins are simply mediocre, leading to our continued success at being just that.

I still stand by my hypothesis that big plays are what win or lose games for you in today's NFL, and the Redskins are simply mediocre, leading to our continued success at being just that.

We should have started out with a definition of the term "big play." Mine is more limited than yours. We weren't discussing the same thing.

We should have started out with a definition of the term "big play." Mine is more limited than yours. We weren't discussing the same thing.

I think that's fair. I don't think this team is good enough yet to dominate opponents, whether they be the Giants/Steelers or Lions/Rams. Every game for this team will come down to whether or not they can make one or two more big plays (not just in terms of yardage, or a turnover) than their opponent. We saw it in the Cardinals and Saints games last year, and we saw it go the opposite way in the Rams and Bengals games.

We're simply mediocre, and I think that's a direct representation of the coaches. These coaches need to instill that type of mentality in our players, because we've seen that in this league mediocrity can definitely breed more mediocrity. To turn around this team, they need to get a winning attitude or else we'll simply spend the next ten years hoping a ball or two bounces our way.

I didn't notice the Giants beating us with big plays, they were methodically mixing up their offense and spreading the field. They ate the clock up, giving us few chances to respond.

I didn't find the Giants offense electric but it wasn't IMO boring or predictable either. But yeah most O coodinators would say they'd rather get scored on quickly so they have time to respond then die a slow death with a long drive.

Edit: not to mention the toll is takes on the defense especially later in the game to be on the field so much. If you notice this defense looks strong at times but seem to often give up that big drive at the end of the game, I wonder if they are just worn out at that point.

I didn't notice the Giants beating us with big plays, they were methodically mixing up their offense and spreading the field. They ate the clock up, giving us few chances to respond.

I didn't find the Giants offense electric but it wasn't IMO boring or predictable either. But yeah most O coodinators would say they'd rather get scored on quickly so they have time to respond then die a slow death with a long drive.

Edit: not to mention the toll is takes on the defense especially later in the game to be on the field so much. If you notice this defense looks strong at times but seem to often give up that big drive at the end of the game, I wonder if they are just worn out at that point.

I think perhaps my wording wasn't very good in my original post. Big plays to me aren't just chunks of yardage, or interceptions. They're plays in which you get an outcome much more than what would normally be expected.

The Giants' TD catch, stripped ball/fumble return, 3 and out after our INT, and swarming all over Randle El on the botched end around all stick out to me as big plays. Our only real big plays of the game were the INT (which we failed to capitalize on) and the fake field goal.

Our team came out way flat this week. Hopefully the coaches turn this thing around quick.

EDIT: Your comment about the defense wearing down has merit, but the longest drive our defense gave up was actually the first one of the day.

I think perhaps my wording wasn't very good in my original post. Big plays to me aren't just chunks of yardage, or interceptions. They're plays in which you get an outcome much more than what would normally be expected.

The Giants' TD catch, stripped ball/fumble return, 3 and out after our INT, and swarming all over Randle El on the botched end around all stick out to me as big plays. Our only real big plays of the game were the INT (which we failed to capitalize on) and the fake field goal.

Our team came out way flat this week. Hopefully the coaches turn this thing around quick.

Yeah Carl Banks who called the Giants game said to some radio personality that the Skins O is very predictable, especially the stretch run plays on the left.

Run on first run, run or short pass on 2nd and then throw on third. Yeah he mixes it up at times but IMO not enough. 6 out of the first 7 plays runs, 10 out of the first 15 plays runs, etc. And the running game wasn't working, so why not switch gears? Putting the game on Clinton Portis' shoulders, I thought that was the old school, Joe Gibbs game plan?

The Giants were dinking and dunking to a degree too, but to my naked eye their plays seem to be more varied and interesting and Eli seems a better improviser and make plays on the move then Jason.

EDIT: Your comment about the defense wearing down has merit, but the longest drive our defense gave up was actually the first one of the day.

Sure, but I didn't say the defense is fine always except for the last drive, they give up points for sure at different points, and that first drive of the Giants I thought was demoralizing. The D if I recall settled down some in the third quarter but then failed again in the 4th which seems to be a pattern.

Archived