Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Kelly ready for more

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/redskins-confidential/Kelly-ready-for-more-58507297.html

Kelly ready for more

By: John Keim

Examiner Staff Writer

09/10/09 1:28 PM EDT

Malcolm Kelly didn't bother to phone his folks or send out text messages, celebrating his new starting role at receiver. This is not the end of a journey for him.

"I'm not satisfied with that," Kelly said. "A lot get satisfied being in the starting rotation. If you get in the starting rotation, the next thing is to catch so many balls. After you catch so many it's to lead this and that. You have to take baby steps. You can never be satisfied."

But the announcement, made Wednesday, means a lot to Kelly. He beat out fellow second-year Devin Thomas for the job, as well as veteran Antwaan Randle El. The latter, however, has been penciled into the No. 3 slot position for most of the summer. Randle El congratulated Kelly.

Kelly earned the job in part because of the extra time he put in after practices. He'd stick around with quarterback Jason Campbell and rookie Marko Mitchell and work on routes and catch passes.

It helped him make up the ground he lost coming off knee surgery in February.

Click the link to read the full article...

Wait why did Thomas mention that this demotion would NOT make him work harder..i would think he would say the opposite...And did you see that marko also stays behind to work with JC..where the hell is Thomas?? Why is Thomas not working after hours with JC

To say it would motivate him to work harder would be admitting he is not working as hard as he can. It's a way of saving face. There were many accounts of Thomas working with JC in the offseason running routes and catching balls on his own time. If he doesn't want to stay after the same days Malcolm does he doesn't have to. Sure I would love to see that he is 100% dedicated working 24/7 but that is a lot to expect from a young, and from most accounts immature player.

Archived