Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

List Your Favorite Skins Sightings

Reaganaut

-I don't have any really good ones personally, but I almost ran over Norv Turner in 1996 coming out of JB Hayes Cigar Shop in Fair Oaks Mall and he hastened away when I realized who he was. I talked to the guys in the shop and he was buying La Gloria Cubanas. He stayed and talked a while in the store apparently and was a very good guy according to them.

-My wife was up at Marshalls near Fair Oaks Mall in 1997 when Art Monk and the missus walked in. She said the entire store stopped cold in awe of him. He was shyly smiling and nodding at people as they went through.

-Soon after the Norv accident in 1996, I saw a black Lamborghini (yes that black Lamborghini) race into Fair Oaks Mall with you know who behind the wheel. When I turned around to get a better look, he spotted me and sped off. (I was actually interested in the car more than Wussy)

-My friend Ryan was awakened at 2:30 am in 1997 at his apartment by Dexter Manley who was pounding on his door as a joke for my friend Freddie who handled some financial affairs for Manley. Fred was out drinking with Dexter and they ended up there for several hours. Ryan said Dexter signed his name with the trademark X.

-Finally, I was at Gold Cup in 1996 with founding member friends and was at that house in the middle where the celebs hang out. I had my video cam going and my back to the little gate where people were coming in right behind me. My buddy's eyes went wide and he gestured with a nod. Jack Kent Cooke and Marlena were there. I turned off my video cam (what can I say.) Later that day, Ted Kennedy passed out drunk on the floor upstairs and they blocked the staircase. My friend's pretentious sister managed with threats to get up there and came down with her hand over her mouth laughing.

My brother and I were a guests at the Bank of America suite at the Jacksonville/Skins game two years ago, which is right next to the visitors box with Snyder in it. We went next door and had about a 10-15 minute converstaion with him and got our skin jackets signed.

I met Sonny Jurgenson at the Shell gas station at Rt. 50 & Gallows Rd a long time ago. Won a football.

Jack Kent cooke was a customer of mine when I worked for CCH Was out to his place off rt 50 in middleburg may times meeting with Linda king at the business office. Never met the Squire unfortunately.

Met Charles Mann in Georgetown.

Met Joe Theisman at his restaurant.

Saw Darrell Green at Tower Records on RT 7 near Tysons'.

First sighting: When I was home for spring break one year, I'm traveling down the toll road from Dulles and there is a 4x4 traveling slow in the left hand lane. I flashed my lights, honked, talegated, but he wouldn't move over. As soon as I got a break I gunned it around and pulled in front of him - and whom did I see in my rear view mirror.... Mr. Charles Mann - and he didn't look too happy.:doh:

Needless to say, I floored it and got the hell out of there:shootinth

Second sighting: A buddy and I were jogging and decided to run by the practice facility in Herndon (behind whatever that hotel is). When we began to pass the front of the Redskins building we passed someone that was walking a bit slow headed into the building. He waved and said "Hello", and we waved back and kept on running. A few steps further, my buddy turns to me and says, "Man, I think that was Darryl Green." Looked back and he was gone.:gus: :cry:

Oh, and the reason he was walking slow - the day before, he pulled an obdominal muscle after running an interception back for a touchdown - any guesses who that was against (easy one)?:D

Third sighting (success): Met and talked to Ken Harvey at Dulles Airport just after he was acquired by the Skins. Man, that guy was HUGE ! !

i met a guy who once claimed to sell pastrami to a guy who parked next to Rich Milot once at a bowling alley, and I used to date a girl who knew a girl who babysat Billy Kilmer's kids once.

But my crowning brush with redskins greatness..

I once stood beside a television that had SONNY JURGENENSON on it.

That's right.. Sonny. And George Michael was there, too. I only wish I had my camera.

~Bang

Just goofing.. I think that may look like I'm making fun of people, but I'm not,, just never met any of 'em outside of the old days when I was a kid. Some players would show up out at Penn Mar Shopping center before Christmas and shake kids hands,, I think i met Manny Sistrunk, Terry Hermemling, and a few others.

Once I was going over to old Hyde Air-Field in Temple Hills and saw Chris Hanburger loading up his Cessna for a trip to someplace. I was about 10 I guess, and before I could get out of my mom's car, he had sealed up and started the prop. It was unmistakably him, though,, he had the VERY distinctive bowl haircut and sourpuss.

a little off, but former Channel 7 newsdude David Shumacher jumped a stop sign and almost hit me on E street once. We both stopped in the intersection, I yelled out my window and called him a really foul name and flew him the bird,, then saw who it was. I laughed about all the way home. He looked like he was going to piss himself.

~Bang (redux)

Originally posted by Phat Hog

First sighting: When I was home for spring break one year, I'm traveling down the toll road from Dulles and there is a 4x4 traveling slow in the left hand lane. I flashed my lights, honked, talegated, but he wouldn't move over. As soon as I got a break I gunned it around and pulled in front of him - and whom did I see in my rear view mirror.... Mr. Charles Mann - and he didn't look too happy.

I had a traffic sighting too - but mine was sitting in bumper to bumper standstill traffic coming home from a game in 98. I notice a Benz convertible sitting next to me - it's bright green and tricked out. I look over and Keysawn Johnson flashes a big white smile as if to say, "that's right sucka, I played and caught the game-winning TD and I'm also beating you home." His smokin wife was riding shotgun and his little kid was boucing around in the backseat.

I've had a couple sightings but this one caught me off guard - doesn't he have to shower, change, talk to reporters, etc.?

Bang, Where are you from? What High School did you attend? I grew up in Clinton MD and was surprised to see your mentions of Penn Marr and Hyde Field. Both in the heart of my old stomping grounds.

By the way, I am a proud grad of Homicide High, aka Surrattsville High School.

My most memorable sighting, I used to work at the Clinton Shell gas station located on Old Branch Ave. One night on the midnight shift, Riggo rolled in to fill up after a night of filling up at Joe Theismann's restaraunt (when in was in Camp Springs). He staggered to the window dropped a $50 in the drawer and proceeded to put about $18 in his tank. Finished pumping his gas and left. I don't believe it was intended to be a tip, just an drunken oversight.

In high school, I worked at the cookie place in the Annapolis mall and proudly served a cheesecake brownie to Ernest Byner. I also met Kevin Hatcher (Capitals) at that job.

Recently, I was getting to know my new boss, and we were talking about living on the east coast. (I'm in LA LA Land now), and he said that he went to Dickenson College for his undergrad. I said "Oh, the Redskins have training camp there". He says "Oh yeah, I had to share a locker with one of those guys. I think he was a quarterback. Tall, blond hair, thinning on top." I gasped "Sonny Jurgenson?!" And he says, "yeah, I think that was his name. "

I almost swallowed my tongue.

Giants fan,

Get ready for two more skins sightings this year through their rear view mirror after running over your team. Once Vodka Collins gets the ball shoved down his throat by Lavar Arrington and Jeremiah Trotter takes Shockey's head off then you will learn who really rules the NFC East. The Skins have been underachieving and it's time for them to kick butt.

Bobby Beathard - lived across the street in Oakton. Kicked his son, Casey, out of party (true story - no joking Bang, truth is stranger than fiction). His sons played football at Oakton, Kirk lead Oakton to Regional play one year. Otherwise Oakton was did poorly in football. (Gibbs son Coy played later)

Dan Wilkensen - at Verizon store, just south of Tysons Corner on 123.

Bruce Smith - I was leaving Magiono's at Tyson's Corner as he entered the mall with his son. Wow! he stand out a mile away and is unmistakeable.

Kenard Lang - in the waiting room, in the Sweet Water in Sterling.

Charles Mann - at the Regal Movie Theatre in Sterling.

While waiting to come on active duty after I graduated from Frostburg, I was a bicycle courier in DC. One day, I pull up to this office building, get off my bike, lock it up and I notice this big ole Ford F-150 pick-up truck parked right on the sidewalk, right smack dab in front of the door to the building I was heading into. While I was kinda walking backwards towards the door, checking out the parking job, kinda chuckling to myself, shaking my head, I turned to open the door and ran right into the owner of the truck as he was coming out.

Yep, face-to face w/ John Riggins.

I said, "Nice parking job".

He said, "Yep. I'm probably the only guy around here that could get away with that $hit". (He said it in a aw shucks, I'm a knucklehead kinda way - not bragadoscious).

I said, "Yeah, well you deserve it!"

He said, "Thanks".

I said, "No no, THANK_YOU!", and we went on our separate ways.

I saw Rod Gardner at Wachovia in Herndon the day before they left for Osaka last year. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was something very cheesy. You always think you'll come up with something great to say, but it just doesn't happen. I also saw him with his mom at Food Lion. I didn't bother him then.

Since moving to NoVA 2 years ago, I've been passed by Fred Smoot in the right lane twice. Once on 66 and once on the Toll Road. He drives a little black bmv with "Smoot" on the license plate, so he's not too hard to identify.

I'm lucky in that I have a stadium field pass and I go into the stadium at the same entrance as the players. I've walked in beside Champ, Sam Shade, and Arrington just to name a few. One day I'll get up the courage to ask for a picture with one them, but right before a game just doesn't seem like the right time.

Last year at training camp, LaVar's parents and family were sitting next to my dad and I (we didn't know at the time) and during the break between practices, LaVar came and sat with them which was right beside us. LaVar was cool and let me take a couple of pics (Art posted one for me last year I believe) and we just sat and listened as he talked with his family.

A few years ago, Jamie Asher was signing autographs at a "Shoe Carnival" store, there was no one there...lol

I didn't get his autograph (i'm not into them, they are annoying for the athletes) but I told him he was my favorite target on John Madden Football... He proceeded to give me tips and complained that he wasn't powered up enough on the game....lol

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

Bang, Where are you from? What High School did you attend? I grew up in Clinton MD and was surprised to see your mentions of Penn Marr and Hyde Field. Both in the heart of my old stomping grounds.

I'm from Forestville, graduated from Suitland High in '81. Now I live in Calvert county, and sometimes, to this day, if i tell people where I am from, they instinctively pat their wallet to make sure it's still there.

Howdy Neighbor!

~Bang

Two summers ago, 3 friends and I were at a bar in Georgetown (ok, it was Third Edition...cringe...) on the night the Redskins broke camp. By chance, there were tons of Skins there: Brett Conway, Todd Husak, Sage Rosenfels (with absurd hot blonde girlfriend in tow), Antonio Pierce, Jon Jansen (who is just enormous--built like a brick sh*thouse...just a monstrosity), Cory Raymer, Rod Gardner and a couple other guys I couldn't recognize.

We chatted up a bunch of the guys--actually hung out with Antonio Pierce for a while and watched Brett Conway work the room like Hef. He ended up leaving with two young ladies--both possessing many of the qualities prized by the superficial male and neither of which he had arrived with.

However, the highlight of the evening came on the dance floor. My buddy Jerry was working the room, as he is prone to do, in an attempt to meet women by rubbing up behind them on the dance floor--"Introduction via rod" is the term I believe he coined for this practice (He has since found more adviseable ways to meet women, but, we were just out of college at this point and didn't have quite as much craft as we do now.). So, Jerry was moving around, examining the scene, and reading the defense. Eventually, he moved in on a target--who, by chance, was dancing somewhat near to Jon Jansen. Jerry is dancing with the girl and, by all accounts, she seemed to be into it. Then, watching from the bar, we see Jansen tap Jerry on the shoulder and say "Move along." Jerry looks at him, non-plussed, and returns to his grinding. Then again, Jansen taps him on the shouler -- "MOVE ALONG." Jerry continues. (It warrants mentioning that Jerry is a Giants fan--and was none too pleased about being c*ck-blocked by a Redskin.) Finally, Jansen walks away from his wife, gets in Jerry's face and says a final "Move along!" Jerry reluctantly complies. Apparently, this girl was Jansen's sister-in-law--as we were later informed by Antonio.

When I worked at a VA hospital I used to see a lot of them quite frequently. This list isn't complete, however as far as I can remember I've seen Norv, Westbroken, Marty, Big Tre, Sonny, Samuels, Shade, and LaVar. However, by far the coolest thing was seeing Darrell Green at the hospital with his sick child then hearing about it on the news later when he was compared with Westbroken (I think) who had missed time at training camp or mini camp.

Alas, all good things in my life come with a catch. Since I work in healthcare, you can't really go up to a guy who's been injured or who's kid is sick and say "Gee, you're my favorite Redskin player, can I have an autograph". D@mn professionalism!!!:twitch:

Good story GGB - The topper would be if Jansen pummeled your friend Jerry. Now, that story would be legendary.

I have seen and met my fair share of redskins...I grew up 5 houses away from former skin and current gint Ryan Kuehl and used to get to games 4-5 hours ahead of time and stand near the player parking lot trying to get as many signatures as possible.

My most recent Redskin interlude occurred this past February while on a business trip to Scottsdale, which happened to coincide with the NFL owners meeting out there. Long story short, I am at dinner with my boss when Dennis Erickson and his wife walk by. Shortly thereafter, Steve Spurrier and his wife walk by. I get all excited, scope out where they are sitting (with another couple who I didn't recognize) but decide better to not interrupt their dinner.

Eventually, Steve gets up to go to the bathroom and walks past me and I jump up from the table and introduce myself. I immediately start dropping skins knowledge on him and talking about the great offseason moves etc. I saw my future as redskins director of player personnel before me. Ultimately, I think I scared the hell out of him.

With a look of fear/annoyance, his response:

"Redskins fan, huh. Well, were trying to get better...Hopefully we will do better next season."

I am still waiting for the call from Redskins Park...

Archived