Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Ten bold predictions: Plunging into a new season

SnyderShrugged

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12180750

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Brian Orakpo, LB, Redskins. Another tough call, with Green Bay's B.J. Raji the competition, but I liked everything about Orakpo when I visited the Redskins. He crushed the pocket. He exploded off the ball. He dropped into coverage without struggling. In short, he didn't look out of position or out of his league. The Redskins will use him at outside linebacker in base defenses, then move him to right defensive end on obvious passing downs. To say they're pleased with Orakpo is an understatement; they're overjoyed, with players and coaches lining up to extol the University of Texas product. "He's really quick and really strong," said tackle Chris Samuels. "He can do some of the things that DeMarcus Ware does." That works for me.

Man I hope he can live up to the hype. He's looked so good so far! If he is rookie of the year, I don't see how we don't make the playoffs!! Come on Sunday!!

Except that they won it in 2006 and 2004. And made two trips to the NFC championship game in that span. Except for 2005 and his first year in 1999, they haven't had a bad season with Andy Reid.

They haven't been "running the division" since 2004. It's been extremely competitive since then.

Groan. Not to beat this corpsey horse, but how many years was Cowher in Pitt before they got this current team together? Shanny got his first SB..let's see.. 10 years after his first coaching gig?

No No NO nO no.

Let Zorn do his thing. Give him time. Please please don't chase has beens. Did the Gibbs experiment teach you nothing?

Are you actually trying to say that Jim Zorn is a better coach than Shanahan?

Jim Zorn was a pathetic hire that resulted from a pathetic hiring process. It was temporary from day 1. Unless we win the SB, Zorn should be fired. He actually should be fired today and Buges made the interim head coach.

You also think June Jones would be a better NFL coach than Zorn. We know your opinions on the NFL are insane.

No to Shanahan. God no.

No retreads. There's never been a head coach that won a Super Bowl with one team, then left and won it again with another team. Some coaches have gotten close, but never accomplished it fully. It's incredibly hard to build that consistency and fully implement their system over time to get to that kind of point, and bringing in Shanahan isn't going to do it. Especially if he wants full control, since we saw how great that worked out when he was running the draft in Denver.

I think what Zorn's trying to establish is actually pretty good, just that all of the pieces aren't fully in place yet- namely the o-line and maybe the QB.

The Eagles have been running the division for nigh on a decade now with Andy Reid and his "finesse" offense.

Most of which during a time when the Redskins and Cowboys stunk for YEARS, and the Giants were just slightly better. They had the benefit of a weak division: you're talking about the Spurrier/Campo/Fassel era. Quite frankly, that was hardly an accomplishment.

You also think June Jones would be a better NFL coach than Zorn. We know your opinions on the NFL are insane.

No to Shanahan. God no..

There is a thin line between genius and insanity. After Zorn is fired at the end of the year, that will be the general consensus in the NFL. Zorn will be mocked far worse than the ball coach as well.

I think Shanahan is a fantastic coach and would be a good fit here.

Groan. Not to beat this corpsey horse, but how many years was Cowher in Pitt before they got this current team together? Shanny got his first SB..let's see.. 10 years after his first coaching gig?

No No NO nO no.

Let Zorn do his thing. Give him time. Please please don't chase has beens. Did the Gibbs experiment teach you nothing?

QFT. We've got a good thing going with Zorn right now. And Vinny has crushed the past two drafts. I think we got a minimum of 8 or 9 long term contributors out of this class, with possibly as many as 14 or 15 depending on what happens with Brennan, Rinehart, Tryon, Jackson, Eddie Williams and Robert Henson. That is an astounding success rate.

Let's give the Cerrato/Zorn combo a chance to run its course and see where it takes us.

I think what Zorn's trying to establish is actually pretty good, just that all of the pieces aren't fully in place yet- namely the o-line and maybe the QB.

Honestly, it just goes to show how absolutely and utterly ridiculous some in this fan base are with their expectations, that you even had to write that. It should be completely obvious to everyone with even an ounce of knowledge about football that every coach needs time ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE INSTALLING NEW SYSTEMS.

Where did all of this talk of Zorn getting canned if we miss the playoffs even start anyway? It's all speculation, but usually someone has to give some sort of kernel of truth to the rumor for it to take off the way this one has. I want to know why people think Zorn is gone by year's end should we miss the playoffs, when even guys like Mike Nolan got four seasons. Please give me a reason behind the speculation that doesn't rely upon something lame like "you know how Dan Snyder is"

Honestly, it just goes to show how absolutely and utterly ridiculous some in this fan base are with their expectations, that you even had to write that. It should be completely obvious to everyone with even an ounce of knowledge about football that every coach needs time ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE INSTALLING NEW SYSTEMS.

Where did all of this talk of Zorn getting canned if we miss the playoffs even start anyway? It's all speculation, but usually someone has to give some sort of kernel of truth to the rumor for it to take off the way this one has. I want to know why people think Zorn is gone by year's end should we miss the playoffs, when even guys like Mike Nolan got four seasons. Please give me a reason behind the speculation that doesn't rely upon something lame like "you know how Dan Snyder is"

I know people give Vinny a lot of crap all the time (and it's mostly deserved for his previous mistakes), but the past two years working with Zorn have provided a pretty solid indication towards re-tooling the offense towards his WCO variation, as well as bringing in some serious guys to help boost our pass rush and overall defense.

I think at this rate, next year we should expect an overhaul of the o-line, and possibly a new QB, to continue the trend of working towards Zorn's total system being put into place.

I mean really, he's said himself he had to throw out a bunch of the playbook last season after the o-line fell apart, including most of his deep passing routes. So a guy comes in with a new offense, inheriting the oldest o-line in the league, and when he can't even try to use his whole playbook for almost half of the season, that's somehow his fault?

After this year we'll have a final idea of where our QB situation stands and hopefully be able to move forward productively from there, fixing the o-line in the process. In the meantime like I said, I'd like to see Zorn hang around so we can at least find out what his full system with even more of his ideal players can accomplish.

This talk of Shanahan/Cowher/Gruden is absurd and flies in the face of most general common sense about head coaches and their success in the NFL.

Archived