Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Ten bold predictions: Plunging into a new season

SnyderShrugged

I like Zorn.

I like our team (with a single exception - see below).

We need to improve the Offensive Line. Not with big name free-agency signings, but through the next 5 drafts. Bugel needs to get some draft love with a 1st or 2nd round pick every draft for the next 5 drafts (one for each position) and one 3-5 rounder every year for depth.

All the other pieces appear to be in place and ready to function well for us. While we can use help on the corners (for depth) and some fresh blood at linebacker (over time), the Offensive line must have help or we will continue to struggle to score points, and to do well in the division.

Anyone believe that Bugel can't get the job done with fresh blood?

the offensive line and QB are close.

skill players are fine at the moment, but the oline is super old and if campbell doesnt hack it, id consider that a blow up. its not an oakland raiders blow up, but its a rebuild.

A QB is but one player. A HUGE, and the KEY, part of the puzzle, but it's not rebuilding.

As far as OL goes, I'm not ready to put Samuels out to pasture - he's still one of the best LTs in the game, though his knee is an issue. Dockery is sufficient. Rabach could probably use an upgrade. Is Rinehart the guy to eventually take over for Thomas who, if past his neck issues, is still a solid RG. Can Heyer step up his game?

Certainly some question marks along the OL and it is in need of some more young players for grooming, but it's not necessarily a teardown-and-rebuild job - though I may feel differently at the end of this season :).

I just don't see a depleted roster here that is in need of an overhaul. Some shoring up has to be done, certainly, but every team has that.

Getting a QB isn't a rebuild - it's a quest. Hopefully that guy is on the current roster. The right QB can make the OL problems a lot less worrisome.

I am with you, quite getting re-treads. I want Zorn to succeed.

Amen, and I think it happens this year. I hope to God we meet our potential for this season and surprise a lot of people. As I said, the potential/ability/talent is there. I want Campbell and Zorn to succeed and exceed all expectations so bad and I know they are capable. Let's Go Skins!

Not with big name free-agency signings, but through the next 5 drafts. Bugel needs to get some draft love with a 1st or 2nd round pick every draft for the next 5 drafts (one for each position) and one 3-5 rounder every year for depth.

Don't know of any team that does this in the draft. At least, if they do, it isn't terribly successful for them.

What teams that have done this have a great OL with great backups?

Im sick of bringing in personnel that have been successful with other teams. I want players and coaches to win here first, then get recognition and trade them to other teams when they lose their value. Weve been on the recieving end of too many dying stars. I want to see an up and comer like Zorn make a name for himself and hold down the job for a long time.

Wouldn't Shanahan being here = Vinny being gone?...I always thought Shanny would want more control than he could have here with Vinny still around. For whatever reason, I just don't see Snyder firing Vinny if his draft picks are turning out well but Zorn doesn't deliver...and I don't see Shanahan playing second fiddle to Vinny Cerrato.

I think Shanahan and Cerrato actually have a good relationship together. Or maybe it's just the Broncos and Cerrato, but there seems to be a strong working relationship between them and a lot of mutual information sharing. So I'm not sure Cerrato and Shanahan would clash as much as you think.

But I don't see what all of the fuss about Shanahan is any more. He hasn't been all that great recently, especially with his use of personnel powers. Outside of Cutler, his drafting has been suspect at best.

Plus hiring him would require drastic changes to our offensive personnel almost all of the way accross the board. Not only would we need a new QB but we'd immediately need 5 new offensive linemen because I don't think a single one of the guys we have now would be a good fit in the Denver scheme. Plus I'm not sure how Cooley and Fred Davis would work out in Shanahan's offense. He'd have to change it some to accomodate them.

I'd rather stick with Zorn no matter what happens this season, and actually give him a fair shot.

Shannahan was absolutely average without Elway.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he ever won a playoff game without him. But, here at ES, the grass is always greener...

Are you actually trying to say that Jim Zorn is a better coach than Shanahan?

Jim Zorn was a pathetic hire that resulted from a pathetic hiring process. It was temporary from day 1. Unless we win the SB, Zorn should be fired. He actually should be fired today and Buges made the interim head coach.

Why all this clamouring for Shannahan or Cowher should we be in the market for a new coach this winter?

Why not Jon Gruden? He's still young, has tremendous fire, and got a ring at a very young age. Has an overall winning record (even in Oakland--WOW!). His demise in Tampa was ultimately the fault of bad drafting, injuries and player payroll. He doesn't employ the high-scoring offense that may get Snyder chubbed up, but believes in the basic fundamentals to win a football game: strong defense and a power running game. Combine him with Snyder's open checkbook and some decent drafting, we could have a solid long-term solution for the Redskins HC.

Sorry but I don't think this finesse offense crap is going to work in the NFC East, no matter who the coach is. We need to focus on how to beat Dallas, New York and Philly each year, because if we do, we're guaranteed a playoff spot. Cowher's and Chuckie's coaching styles and beliefs would be better suited for our division, but if I had a choice between the two, and as much as I respect Cowher, Chuckie is who I'd go with.

Ummm, hell no I don't want Shanahan. The guy did absolutely nothing once Elway & Terrell Davis retired. No No No.

Same with Cowher. I don't think Cowher is anything special. He had a very long tenure with Pittsburgh and got a single championship out of it.

I think Gruden would be a better choice then both. Gruden not only was able to make the Raiders of all teams a contender, but then he went to the Bucs and took them over the hump that Dungy couldn't get them.

Are you actually trying to say that Jim Zorn is a better coach than Shanahan?

Jim Zorn was a pathetic hire that resulted from a pathetic hiring process. It was temporary from day 1. Unless we win the SB, Zorn should be fired. He actually should be fired today and Buges made the interim head coach.

Once again, you have put the thought in my head thank Allah, Jesus and Yawe your not in charge.

The Eagles have been running the division for nigh on a decade now with Andy Reid and his "finesse" offense.

And they have won how many Championships? The only NFC East team who has won a SB in the last decade is NY, who had a very strong power running game.

That being said, I do believe Zorn's offense has the ability to succeed...But the O-line needs to provide protection for the finesse portion, and needs to provide some grunt for the running game. The ability to control the ground game is imperative to come out of the NFC East.

And they have won how many Championships? The only NFC East team who has won a SB in the last decade is NY, who had a very strong power running game.

That being said, I do believe Zorn's offense has the ability to succeed...But the O-line needs to provide protection for the finesse portion, and needs to provide some grunt for the running game. The ability to control the ground game is imperative to come out of the NFC East.

Yes but we won't play the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants in the Superbowl.

There is no one way to build a team that can win a championship.

Archived