Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike&Mike: Aikman's NFCE thoughts

SWFLSkins

Why is everyone so suprised by these predictions lately??

We have done nothing on the field.

But....we get a chance to prove some people wrong this Sunday around 4 pm.

Will we?

Who knows.

QFT.

Who would have expected the 'Skins to win back to back road games against Dallas and Philly last year? Nobody. Who would have expected them to win either? Probably only Larry Michael and Joey T.

Who cares what the experts say. Just go out and play. And at the end of the year, you tally it all up and see how you did.

"Just Win Baby."

"You are what your record says you are."

"You PLAY to WIN THE GAMES. HELLO."

We have four winning seasons since my Senior year in High School and one Division title, which was 10 years ago, regardless how much money spent or talent acquired. You'll have to be a little forgiving if Aikman doesn't think we'll win the Division.

His comments lead it to be that the Redskins are not even a consideration for the division title. I have heard other commentators atleast say the Eagles and Giants have the edge with the Cowboys and the REdskins both being good teams needing some luck/help.

Which I can agree with. Most I think are basing the team off of what they ended like last year, I think that is a miscalculation. Our #2's will give our QB more options for scoring, taking the heat off Portis to carry the offense.

The D, is improved. The Skins are competitive, finally.

Why are so many people changing the subject and bending what Troy said to fit with their responses?

No one is saying to call the Redskins the best team in the NFC East.

Troy said that everyone in the east COULD win the NFC East. Everyone has a chance to win except the Redskins. The Redskins are not part of the group who COULD win the NFC East. Essentially they have no chance.

Another thing that irritates me is how people seem to think that the longer ago it has been since you won a NFC East makes it harder for you to win one. Why don't we just say since the Redskins haven't won the NFC East for 50 years, they will never win one again because it has been so long since they won one.

Regardless of when we win it again we are closer to winning it again than ever before.

Regardless of when we win it again we are closer to winning it again than ever before.

That's the problem. There have been many a year and many a huge FA signings with hopes of the above statement, and nothing has come to fruition yet. Every year you guys get a new big name, and every year you guys still don't pull it together. I just don't understand what it's gonna take to start holding your coaches/front office responsible for this mess that has cluttered your franchise for the past 20 years.

Don't we say that every year?

The problem is we don't make big strides, we make tiny little strides. Which means we're consistently floating around 8-8 and frustrating the fanbase to death.

Seems to be the common thread, three questions:

1. O line?

2. Campbell?

3. Zorn?

Seems like the detractors have predominately one of these concerns depending on who it is. Personally, I am not sure about those variables myself -- its not that I think they won't work out, but I don't think its a stretch to see it going either way

QFT.

Who would have expected the 'Skins to win back to back road games against Dallas and Philly last year? Nobody. Who would have expected them to win either? Probably only Larry Michael and Joey T.

Who cares what the experts say. Just go out and play. And at the end of the year, you tally it all up and see how you did.

"Just Win Baby."

"You are what your record says you are."

"You PLAY to WIN THE GAMES. HELLO."

I agree 100% whoever watched football last year should totally realize it doesnt matter what the experts say last year the experts all picked dallas to win the nfc east none of them had arizona doing a darn thing nobody picked pittsburg to go to the superbowl and win it among many other misshaps these "experts" had predicting the 2008 season. Let the experts say and do what they want our team has an equal chance to win the conference then any other team in NFC forget about the division if Arizona could do it last year then we sure as hell can do it this year.:gaintsuck

That's the problem. There have been many a year and many a huge FA signings with hopes of the above statement, and nothing has come to fruition yet. Every year you guys get a new big name, and every year you guys still don't pull it together. I just don't understand what it's gonna take to start holding your coaches/front office responsible for this mess that has cluttered your franchise for the past 20 years.

I could see it happening eventually before too long.

If you take the past 4 years and compare it to 2000 through 2004 are they not in a better position than they were?

I've been saying it a lot lately since people just love to go back to 2000 and say when you take all of that into account the Redskins are terrible. Recent history should be worth more than Steve Spurrier history. There will be signs of life and then life will (hopefully) burst forth.

Seems to be the common thread, three questions:

1. O line?

2. Campbell?

3. Zorn?

Seems like the detractors have predominately one of these concerns depending on who it is. Personally, I am not sure about those variables myself -- its not that I think they won't work out, but I don't think its a stretch to see it going either way

I'm not a detractor I'm just trying to be honest.

When your OL and your QB are both question marks it's silly to be sure that your team will be in the hunt for a division championship in a division as tough as the NFC East.

I think we CAN do it. The question marks keep me from being overconfident.

Don't we say that every year?

The problem is we don't make big strides, we make tiny little strides. Which means we're consistently floating around 8-8 and frustrating the fanbase to death.

All I can say is that I hope the big strides come.

I am not so supremely confident that they will come but people who say that they can't come and that we will live in mediocrity forever make me upset.

Can we really say that it is because of horrible mistakes that the Redskins as organization made that we imploded in 2008? or was it a slightly precarious situation?

Coming off of the playoffs in 07 and starting 08 6-2 it would make sense for one to think that the Redskins we finally taking steps.

When your OL and your QB are both question marks it's silly to be sure that your team will be in the hunt for a division championship in a division as tough as the NFC East.

Sure, I was talking about "media" detractors. and by detractor I simply meant detracting from the idea of the Skins being a contender as opposed to being against them becuase they don't like the team, etc.

I have heard Aikman enough to think that he isn't a Redskins hater. Emmitt Smith is a different story. So I think Aikman genuinely thinks what he does based on the Redskins situation as opposed to being a Cowboy.

And I agree with your point about the O line, and QB. Yeah it could work out, and it might -- but they aren't locks.

Adam Schein from Sirrius thinks the problem is Zorn. Zorn also is unproven -- no media football observer that I noticed has looked at his work last season and said you know what the Redskins got something special in him. Zorn could turn into something special -- but he IMO is likewise a variable that we still can't pin down as a sure thing.

Since you think we CAN do it, that's it's possible (even if not likely), you aren't saying the same thing as Troy who is essentially (not verbatim) saying that we CAN'T do it, that it's impossible.

I have heard Aikman enough to think that he isn't a Redskins hater. Emmitt Smith is a different story. So I think Aikman genuinely thinks what he does based on the Redskins situation as opposed to being a Cowboy.

Agreed which is why I don't have a big beef with Aikman saying what he did. Had it been Emmit or Irvin I'd toss it out because the only team they ever think is going to win is Dallas.

Other thing in play is a host of football media types have said to watch out for the Redskins, they are a sleeper team, etc -- there are some that think things are going to work out -- but based on the past with this team and the unknown variables coming into the season -- why should we surprised that ALL of the media types aren't singing the Redskins praises as the team to beat in the East.

They did finish last in the league last year, and lost to some pretty bad teams in the process. IMO that's one of the key things for this team to overcome, start whipping the bad teams as opposed to playing them close and getting upset at home pretty much every year by a winless team or a team close to being winless.

Our division rivals usually take care of business against the bad teams. With the team's recent past, one of these dud teams coming to Fed-Ex will beat us -- the Chiefs, the Rams or maybe the Lions on the road.

I recall the NY media saying last year not to put much stock in the Redskins early success becuase the team doesn't handle success well -- I wonder about that myself. Randy Thomas said something to that effect in the pre season.

I am feeling good about the seaon but yeah as nuts as it may sound one of things I'll be watching is can this team avoid a demoralizing upset against a bad team for once.

On Mike&MikeESPNradio....

While Mike and Mike thought that Dallas has no chance to win the East they did not really mention the Redskins. But picked Philly and the Giants to fight it out.

Aikman on at 7:30am thought that and I quote, "Any of the three teams could win and the only one that will not is the Redskins"

I have always liked Troy's analysis before but I think he is off on this one. I see no reason why if Campbell plays well that the Redskins could not win the East. All the teams have question marks and it is really going to come down to injuries and winning a couple of close games to provide the boost to win the East.

Sorry but the link no worky. :gaintsuck

Take off the burgandy and gold blinders son. This is the time of the year when everyone on this board predicits how good the Redskins will be. They will have to prove it on the field. I would not be a bit surprised if we came out of the gate this year like we did last year against the Giants.

Actually I just heard the segment and it wasn't as malicious as I originally thought. He did say that the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are the teams who he could seeing winning the NFC East just that he didn't see the Redskins winning it. That isn't nearly as bad as I interpreted it.

Saying that you don't see it happening still allows for the possibility of it happening.

Why is everyone so suprised by these predictions lately??

We have done nothing on the field.

But....we get a chance to prove some people wrong this Sunday around 4 pm.

Will we?

Who knows.

BINGO, why does everyone think we are getting disrespected? We have been mediocore at best forever, I don't blame anyone who thinks this year will be any different.

Take your homer glasses off people, and get real, we are a 8-8 team

Another thing that irritates me is how people seem to think that the longer ago it has been since you won a NFC East makes it harder for you to win one. Why don't we just say since the Redskins haven't won the NFC East for 50 years, they will never win one again because it has been so long since they won one.

It's not the time span itself. It's an example of, no matter what we seem to do or when things look like they're going really well, we still manage to hover somewhere around 8-8. It keeps the fans thinking we're only one or two pieces away and just attentive enough to stop giving up, but we never really take huge steps.

It's not the time span itself. It's an example of, no matter what we seem to do or when things look like they're going really well, we still manage to hover somewhere around 8-8. It keeps the fans thinking we're only one or two pieces away and just attentive enough to stop giving up, but we never really take huge steps.

That's exactly what I said in a different thread.

We take the tiny steps each year but not enough to get to that 11-5 mark to fight for the division.

And the offense has been the bane of this team now for eons it seems, people I gather want to see us score.

You got people questioning the quarterback, receivers, O line, and play caller. That's a lot to worry about. Now they can all work out. But, I don't blame people for saying well we will buy it when we see it.

They all see that the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles can score. You have to go way back to think of this team as having an offense that puts a scare in anybody.

Archived