Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ha Ha

codeorama

Two Americans Gored at Running of Bulls

Tue Jul 8, 7:55 AM ET

By JULIANE VON REPPERT-BISMARCK, Associated Press Writer

PAMPLONA, Spain - Bulls gored two Americans and an Australian Tuesday on the second day of Pamplona's annual runs with the bulls.

One of the gored Americans, Al Chesson, 57, from Pittsburgh, Pa., spent a terrifying half-minute being thrown around in the narrow alley leading into the bull ring that marks the end of the run.

"It was like King Kong tossing coins," the former U.S. Marine and marathon runner said in the hospital, as he awaited surgery. Chesson was gored twice in the right thigh and once in the groin.

The other gored American was identified as Dallas Hatch****, 24, from Los Angeles, with a jab in the left arm.

"I saw a bull throw some guy against the wall. I was trying to get his attention. It worked, I guess," Hatch**** said.

The Australian was identified as Nicolas Headlam, 29, with an 8-inch gash in the chest. His hometown was not immediately given.

None of the three had life-threatening injuries, the news agency Efe said.

Two other men were hospitalized with lesser injuries, and 33 people were treated on the street for bruises and scrapes.

Monday's opening run — the first of eight — was a cakewalk in comparison. The only injuries were bumps and bruises from falls and minor tramplings.

Since record-keeping began in 1924, 13 people have been killed at the San Fermin festival. The last fatality was a 22-year-old American, gored to death in 1995.

The fiesta, famed for its all-night street parties, dates back to the late 16th century but gained world fame from Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises."

Running bulls through the town began as simply the easiest way to get them to the ring for bullfights, but eventually daredevils started running in front of them.

The other gored American was identified as Dallas Hatch****

With that name I'm not surprised....

I do wish the bulls would be more thorough though. If someone is stupid enough to get in front of a raging bull, I don't want them to have a chance to pollute the gene pool further.

Archived