Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com : Harris, not Demps to Replace Dawkins

Number5

Before you read this, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on one of the greatest FS of our generation.....R.I.P to Sean Taylor.

May God continue to bless you and your family!

Now moving forward!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20090908_It_will_be_Harris__not_Demps__at_safety_for_Eagles.html

(click link for full article)

It will be Harris, not Demps, at safety for Eagles

By LES BOWEN

Philadelphia Daily News

bowenl@phillynews.com

THERE ARE TIMES when Quintin Demps surprises you, and yesterday was one of those times.

Demps can be brash and boastful. He can say the exact wrong thing, as he did last week, when the second-year free safety seemed annoyed that he was still competing with Sean Jones and Macho Harris for the starting job. He said he would have worked harder if he'd known there was going to be a competition.

Ouch.

But the thing about Demps - other than his size and speed, which probably would keep him in the NFL regardless of how many unfortunate quotes he authored - is that he reflects and repents. (And he does seem to work hard, whatever he says.) Demps seemed genuinely sorry for that late hit on Kurt Warner in the NFC Championship Game. He took full responsibility for getting flummoxed on the flea flicker to Larry Fitzgerald. He didn't make excuses or hide from the waves of reporters who wanted to ask him about those things, over and over.

And yesterday, when Demps was swarmed, as one of the few Eagles available to the media after a closed practice, he stepped up to the plate on his demotion from the starting job, his to lose when camp began. Demps told reporters - who otherwise wouldn't have known - that Harris is now the starter. And Demps didn't blame anyone but himself for that.

(FYI, a cool twitter post via Macho upon learning he was named starter...

I'm def living my dream! and I'm blessed to be playing a childs game for a kings ransom!... that's a quote from SEAN TAYLOR btw! One of my Favorite Players of all time!

QUOTE is found here...

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2009/9/7/1020113/macho-harris-beats-out-quintin

I hope he can be half the player both Sean and Brian were/are....

I give the Eagles a lot of credit for filling some serious holes on the team. However, FS seems to be to 2009 what KR/PR was to 2007 and FB was to 2008 Eagle teams.

He's fortunate to have the CBs & SS he does, but I think he's going to have to help pick up some slack from the LB corps, making his job that much more difficult.

The Eagles are going to be in trouble. Maybe not so much against the weaker teams on the schedule, but any of the more balanced offenses, and let's be real here, the NFC East probably features the most balanced teams in this conference, will gash the Eagles something fierce.

Describing the middle of their defense as a work in progress is being quite generous. Their linebackers and safeties are garbage, and it will cost the Eagles time and time again.

I'd be surprised if the Eagles D finishes in the top 20.

Their linebackers and safeties are garbage, and it will cost the Eagles time and time again.

I'd be surprised if the Eagles D finishes in the top 20.

Really? So having a Second Team ALL PRO SS makes you garbage? Also, didn't Gaither lead the team in tackles 2 years ago, and that was before both Bunk and Patt were starting together? I'd be surprised if they didn't finish in the top 10. While Macho doesn't have Dawk's heart or experience, he has more speed, a younger frame, and more importantly, he has Mikell next to him. This kid is stepping into a good situation being surrounded by Samuel, Brown, and Mikell.

I think Laurent might be right. The loss of Bradley is staggering. They tried to give the job to Mays but he couldn't win it. Gaither is what he is. He will be solid; better than a Simoneau but never above average.

I think Macho will be good but he will certainly need 6-8 games before he finds himself and is comfortable running the defensive backfield. Having Mikell back there will help but I am certainly worried teams like the Giants or Panthers will simply just run the ball down our throats.

Oh well, I truely believe the offense will be on par with the 04 team so maybe we'll just outscore teams until we get it figured out. I'm not betting on it though.

Ugh, gonna be very tough to cheer for Macho. One of my favorites at VT who has gone through quite a bit

WB36 is right, it'll take him a few games, if not the entire season, to find himself and adjust to the speed of the NFL.

He struggled his first year starting at VT, but was stellar the next 2 years as a starter.

I give the Eagles a lot of credit for filling some serious holes on the team. However, FS seems to be to 2009 what KR/PR was to 2007 and FB was to 2008 Eagle teams.

This is my knock on the Eagles. They cut a guy in Dawkins, and had no replacement plan. The Eagles didn't have anyone that they knew could play the position. Now they are stuck with starting a 5th round pick drafted just a few months ago.

I'm pretty nervous about Harris, but it isn't too different than when the Skins entrusted shady veteran Reed Doughty with the starting strong safety job, only to make out like foxes when upstart seventh-rounder Chris Horton won the position. Just as the Eagles have the benefit of Quintin Mikkel at the other safety spot, so too did the Skins have that luxury with Laron Landry.

Archived