Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle? Really?

Bang

Seattle was a perennial 10-12 win team a few years ago. Last year they were absolutely devastated by injuries across the board on offense and defense; according to football outsiders they had the highest injury rate by far.

This year, they are back and reasonably healthy. As far as Hasselbeck being "slightly above average," you are nuts. He is one year removed from 3966 yards and 28TDs. If that's "slightly above average," what is a "good" season?

I don't think they will win the superbowl or anything, but 10 wins and the division is not out of the question for them - they will battle the Cardinals for the West, IMO.

They also got rid of the best guard in football and have had no running game to speak of since. It's not a fluke that Shawn Alexander went from MVP to unemployed after Hutchinson left.

Hasselbeck had a good year a few years ago, but his overall career is what makes him a "slightly above average QB". That year was not his usual, nor do i see any reason to expect he'll repeat it. He only came close to thatg kind of year once before, and the rest is about the usual 3200 yd average that you get from a "slightly above avg. QB".

I think ten wins for Seattle is a laugh. Figure the division is only 6 games, even if they somehow manage to sweep everyone which I doubt they will, they still have to steal four games elsewhere, and I just don't see it.

~Bang

They also got rid of the best guard in football and have had no running game to speak of since. It's not a fluke that Shawn Alexander went from MVP to unemployed after Hutchinson left.

I was against that move from the beginning. It's common knowledge that great offensive lineman are a hell of a lot harder to find than good runningbacks. IMO, Hutchinson leaving was what really began their spiral from playoff contenders to afterthoughts.

I was against that move from the beginning. It's common knowledge that great offensive lineman are a hell of a lot harder to find than good runningbacks. IMO, Hutchinson leaving was what really began their spiral from playoff contenders to afterthoughts.

Conversely, Minnesota now has (arguably) the best running game in the league.

AP helps, but Hutchinson being there is no coincidence. He is a road-grader in the first degree.

~Bang

They had no choice, it was the infamous (and now illegal, I believe) poison-pill. If they had signed Hutchinson's deal, the entire contract would have instantly become guaranteed, something like $54 million at the time.

Or he broke his foot and was never the same, one or the other. ;) He also hit the infamous 370-carry mark that MVP season.

Conversely, Minnesota now has (arguably) the best running game in the league.

AP helps, but Hutchinson being there is no coincidence. He is a road-grader in the first degree.

~Bang

Hutchinson is a large part of that, but Peterson is just plain silly. Put him on any team in the NFL, and he'd have very close to the numbers he has now.

They had no choice, it was the infamous (and now illegal, I believe) poison-pill. If they had signed Hutchinson's deal, the entire contract would have instantly become guaranteed, something like $54 million at the time.
The difficult part for the Seahawks is the reported provision that makes the entire $49 million guaranteed if Hutchinson, 28, is not the highest-paid offensive lineman.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2002865684_hawk15.html

But remember at the time that the Seahawks basically had to choose between Shaun Alexander and Steve Hutchinson because with the salary cap room they had, they could only afford one or the other. And they ended up signing Alexander to a monster deal that was the highest for any running back at the time. When you consider the risk of signing a runningback who was turning 30 to that much money, when compared to signing the best guard in football who was 28 at the time, in his prime, I would argue that while it would've been a big finanical investment, it would still be worth it.

There's a reason why offensive lineman like Hutchinson rarely come out into FA, especially at a prime age of 28. Every team in the league knows that great offensive linemen are a rare commodity and that once you find a good one, you do everything in your power to keep him.

I do think St.L and SF are in such bad spots, and it appears as Arizona might have a fall back after the SB, that Seattle most likely will win the division. Not saying they are good, but you dont have to be in the AFC or NFC west. Remember, they still get big time home field advantage over even good teams that have to go across country, throw in 4-5 wins in division, and its a possibility.

Or he broke his foot and was never the same, one or the other. ;) He also hit the infamous 370-carry mark that MVP season.

Hutchinson is a large part of that, but Peterson is just plain silly. Put him on any team in the NFL, and he'd have very close to the numbers he has now.

While I totally agree AP is a monster, even Chester Taylor puts up numbers behind that line. Hutch is outstanding.

~Bang

:snore:

...I am out here in whiner land and they are already making excuses of why they won't break .500 this season. :rolleyes:

1> All owners, ref's, the NFLPA & Satan are in conspiracy against them

2> Dropped passes should be considered completions as long as it hits their receiver in the hands. (note: this rule only applies to squak receivers)

3> Sunspots

It's a long list, feel free to expand.

OL is on its deathbed. Willis & Unger are probably starting or at least looking at significant playing time.

Without a line, the running game is anemic and Hasselback won't last through the season. The worst secondary in football last year doesn't look that much improved. Adding Lucas & Milloy just ain't going to be enough when you look at the supporting cast, especially with Trufant on his back.

They are about as weak as the rest of the division other than the doormat lambs so I suppose they could stumble their way into another NFC Jest title but both the niners and cards have at least as good of a shot at as they do.

Archived