Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kobe ARRESTED for SEXUAL ASSAULT

OrangeSkin

sorry about my previous posts, i was a little drunk last night...

does anyone here remember when scott erickson got arrested?

here's a link to the ESPN article....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0722/1408560.html

here is a quickie about the situation, from a guy who wrote about the double standard men and women face in situations like this:

"Baltimore Orioles pitcher Scott Erickson was attacked by his girlfriend Lisa Ortiz in the morning hours of July 22. Police admit that Ortiz: initiated the violence; refused to leave the apartment despite repeated requests that she leave; came back again after Erickson carried her out; repeatedly kicked the apartment door; caused Erickson two minor injuries; and herself suffered no injuries. On top of that, Ortiz states flatly that Erickson has never been violent with her or threatened her in any way. Yet police arrested Erickson and are charging him with second-degree assault." --Glen Sacks

(full article: http://mensnewsdaily.com/archive/s/sacks/02/sacks081202.htm)

this is an extreme case, but a legitimate example of how men are presumed guilty in sexual and physical assault cases... especially when the accused is a famous person... erickson was very, very lucky that the facts were reported by the police, otherwise he would carry around a tarnished image for the rest of his career.

i don't presuppose every man accused of such things is innocent, but their personality and past conduct shouldn't be ignored... and it doesn't excuse them if they are guilty as charged.

this is gonna be an interesting case (the kobe one), especially if the laws where the incident occured do state that sexual assault ranges anywhere from indecent touching to actual rape... how can kobe disprove that he never touched her? you can't use any sort of dna evidence to prove guilt or innocence... it comes down to he said/she said.... i bet that is what will end up happening. he gets accused of something that cannot be proven. and if it goes like that how can his reputation ever be repaired? unless the woman comes forward and admits to lying about it? damage has already been done.

This woman managed to convince the police, who convinced the prosecutor, who convinced a judge that there is enough evidence to look into this.

You guys, who haven't seen that evidence, "suspect that this woman... was going to try to get some money." So you're saying that not only is the woman a skank, but the police and prosecutors and judges are in on the conspiracy? Yeah, sure. I'm not saying Bryant is guilty, but calling the woman names when you know nothing says a lot about your character.

this is gonna be an interesting case (the kobe one), especially if the laws where the incident occured do state that sexual assault ranges anywhere from indecent touching to actual rape... how can kobe disprove that he never touched her? you can't use any sort of dna evidence to prove guilt or innocence

AJ, no prosecutor would bring charges in a situation like that. No chance. If a woman goes to the police and says, "A superstar athlete touched me, and I have no evidence to prove it," they'd say "too bad, honey". The police and prosecutors hate charging celebrities -- they'd rather sweep it under the rug, unless it's an election year for some prosecutor. She must have some evidence, and she must be at least somewhat believable. The only time they bring charges on indecent touching is either (a) irrefutable evidence, usually video or witnesses, or (B) kids are involved.

The problem is that most evidence of rape is also evidence of consensual sex (including some signs of violence). So if they did a rape kit on her and found semen, for example, that might be enough to charge him -- but it only proves they had sex, not rape. I'm not saying they do have that evidence, only that they must have some evidence, and even that doesn't mean he's guilty.

There are lots of people in the world who want to take advantage of athletes, including lots of women. But concluding that this woman is one of them before you know anything about the case is just stupid.

Are you kidding me? With Erickson, the police showed up, the two were fighting, she claimed he'd thrown her to the floor of the elevator, so they arrested him. He was never convicted of anything. The police try to protect women in these cases because they are the victims in 99% of the cases. They are physically weaker in most cases and cannot defend themselves against a much bigger attacker. You don't think they should arrest angry violent husbands? You think the two of them should have spent the night together after that?

You cite one example, let me give you lots of others:

Rae Carruth murdered his wife. So did OJ (found responsible for her death in a civil trial).

Among the NFL players accused of assaulting wives and girlfriends over the past decade: Harvey Martin (Dallas), Carwell Gardner (Buffalo), Mark Gastineau (New York Jets), Patrick Bates, (Atlanta), Erik Williams (Dallas), Andre Rison (Atlanta), Rod Smith (Denver) and Warren Moon (Minnesota), Likewise, baseball is well stocked thanks to Darryl Strawberry (Mets and Yankees), Pedro Astacio (Colorado), Wil Cordero (Boston), Jose Canseco (Oakland), Jose Mesa (Cleveland) and Armando Benitez (Mets).

Among those NBA players accused of beating women: Michael Cooper (Los Angeles Lakers), Roy Tarpley (Dallas), Olden Polynice (Detroit), Marcus Webb (Detroit), Leon Smith (Dallas) and Alvin Robertson (Toronto, among others). Allen Iverson, of course, chucked his naked wife out into the street.

Hockey has not been spared high profile cases. Patrick Roy drew headlines last year when police were called after a heated argument with his wife.

Give me a break.

This thread brings to mind one of my favorite 'Spongebob' episodes regarding 'Sentence Enhancers'.

Hope this ******* thread turns out to be a ******* waste of time for all of you ****'s. **** all of you and the ******* horse you rode in on you ******* *******'s.

Far be it for me to impede the sharing of true wisdom. Enhance away fellas.

Gosh. I feel better already. And smarter too! You ****'s. :cool:

I have never been a fan of Kobe Bryant, nor a Laker fan. But my thoughts after hearing this was the woman was lying. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I've never known anyone who has raped a woman and I known plenty of guys who've been falsely accused of it.

I'm not saying that is the case here, not at all. None of us know what really happened. If it turns out that they simply had sex and it wasn't a rape, Kobe is still in trouble because he's married.

Heck I had to defend an old room mate at a courtmartial for false accusation and put myself out there to prove he was innocent plus the two well endowed girls were 14 and 15 but in military clubs.

He was found innocent.

On WTEM a LA beat writer brought up a story about a lady running toward Shaq in an elevator to get a pic and Shaq had his bodyguards move her out of the elevator so she could get a pic with shaq with a bunch of others in the hallway and explained how he wont put himself in a position to find a BS story in the press.

He then talked about girls doping a guys drink with the date rape drug to take pics of him in bed naked to extort money since he was married with kids.

I'm sure there are weak fools out there who think they have to rape and force women to put out.

But in this area you have to really screw up not to score as a regular guy so I can imagine the long line for the really successful athletes.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Heck I had to defend an old room mate at a courtmartial for false accusation and put myself out there to prove he was innocent plus the two well endowed girls were 14 and 15 but in military clubs.

He was found innocent.

On WTEM a LA beat writer brought up a story about a lady running toward Shaq in an elevator to get a pic and Shaq had his bodyguards move her out of the elevator so she could get a pic with shaq with a bunch of others in the hallway and explained how he wont put himself in a position to find a BS story in the press.

He then talked about girls doping a guys drink with the date rape drug to take pics of him in bed naked to extort money since he was married with kids.

I'm sure there are weak fools out there who think they have to rape and force women to put out.

But in this area you have to really screw up not to score as a regular guy so I can imagine the long line for the really successful athletes.

Point well taken!!

While my brother was in the minor leagues for the Dodgers, he and 4 other teammates were accused of rapeing a girl at a party. After 2 weeks of hell, the girls friends came forward and told the Dodger Lawyers that the girl and her family were just trying to get money. It disappeared quick after that.

Lesson learned.... Watch out who's around you, don't put yourself in a position you will regret.

Give me a damn break! These women piss me off! Kobe will go to court, the truth will come out and this woman will simply turn out to be a gold digger.

Kobe probably met a woman at a bar, had a few drinks, and simply flirted w/ this woman. Next thing you know, a lightbulb pops on above her head and she's generating a story in order to cash in.

The interesting thing about this story is they haven't charged him yet, that suggests the evidence isn't that good or the authorities don't want to waste their time.

Does anyone have anymore photos of his wife??? She is smoking :cool:

Originally posted by jbooma

The interesting thing about this story is they haven't charged him yet, that suggests the evidence isn't that good or the authorities don't want to waste their time.

Does anyone have anymore photos of his wife??? She is smoking :cool:

I wouldn't say its because the 'evidence isn't that good' jbooma. They've done a SANE exam on the female to collect sperm/dna/pubic hair if there is any. I think thats what they're waiting on. It makes sense not to even consider charging someone if there's no compelling physical evidence that a sexual encounter took place. No woman in the world is going to win a 'he said-she said' case against Kobe Bryant who generally has been a poster child for good behavior to this point (at least by NBA standards) in the absence of solid physical evidence.

Originally posted by Even Madder

This woman managed to convince the police, who convinced the prosecutor, who convinced a judge that there is enough evidence to look into this.

You guys, who haven't seen that evidence, "suspect that this woman... was going to try to get some money." So you're saying that not only is the woman a skank, but the police and prosecutors and judges are in on the conspiracy? Yeah, sure. I'm not saying Bryant is guilty, but calling the woman names when you know nothing says a lot about your character.

AJ, no prosecutor would bring charges in a situation like that. No chance. If a woman goes to the police and says, "A superstar athlete touched me, and I have no evidence to prove it," they'd say "too bad, honey". The police and prosecutors hate charging celebrities -- they'd rather sweep it under the rug, unless it's an election year for some prosecutor. She must have some evidence, and she must be at least somewhat believable. The only time they bring charges on indecent touching is either (a) irrefutable evidence, usually video or witnesses, or (B) kids are involved.

The problem is that most evidence of rape is also evidence of consensual sex (including some signs of violence). So if they did a rape kit on her and found semen, for example, that might be enough to charge him -- but it only proves they had sex, not rape. I'm not saying they do have that evidence, only that they must have some evidence, and even that doesn't mean he's guilty.

There are lots of people in the world who want to take advantage of athletes, including lots of women. But concluding that this woman is one of them before you know anything about the case is just stupid.

Guess what EM. Besides being an ***hole, you're wrong. Apparently the police went around the DA, and requested the arrest warrant from a county judge. And charges HAVE NOT BEEN BROUGHT YET.

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by Even Madder

The police and prosecutors hate charging celebrities -- they'd rather sweep it under the rug, unless it's an election year for some prosecutor.

Just a case of "Open Mouth and Insert Foot".

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=5&aid=D7S5BRC00_story

Criminal Charges for Kobe May Take Days

July 8, 2003 08:48 AM EDT

EAGLE, Colo. - It may take another week before Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant knows if criminal charges will be filed against him.

Little information was given Monday by prosecutors about the case against the 24-year-old NBA star who is accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a resort near Vail. But Bryant's lawyer, Pamela Mackey, said her client "expects to be completely exonerated."

According to an arrest warrant, Bryant attacked a woman June 30. Authorities said only that it happened at a hotel. Officials at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in nearby Edwards said Bryant stayed there June 30-July 2.

Under Colorado law, sexual assault could range from fondling to rape.

Bryant surrendered to authorities Friday and was released after posting $25,000 bond. Mackey said her client had been in Colorado for surgery on his right knee at Vail's Steadman Hawkins Clinic.

The accusations against one of the NBA's biggest stars made headlines nationwide and stunned the sports world. Dozens of reporters and camera crews descended on this mountain town about 100 miles west of Denver.

Since entering the NBA straight from high school, Bryant has drawn comparisons to the league's greatest players. He was married in 2001 and became a father earlier this year.

Eagle County District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said he is reviewing the merits of the case submitted by the sheriff's office and could make a decision on whether to file charges against Bryant within the next week.

"Sometimes it takes a while to get through everything," Hurlbert said Monday. "It may be beyond the end of the week."

He said Bryant might not be charged at all, but refused to discuss details of the allegations against the five-time NBA All-Star.

Mackey accused the sheriff's office of "complete bias," saying it ignored the wishes of the district attorney in obtaining the arrest warrant.

"We were told that the matter was under consideration by the district attorney's office but that there was insufficient information to issue a warrant or to file charges," she said in a statement.

Mackey did not return calls seeking elaboration.

At Monday's news conference, Hurlbert refused to address Mackey's claims.

"What's done is done," said Hurlbert, standing a few feet away from Sheriff Joe Hoy, whose office is leading the investigation. "I'm not going to comment on whether it was prudent or not. A judge found probable cause."

The sheriff's office sought the arrest warrant from a judge instead of making the request through the district attorney, which is the usual practice. Only the district attorney's office can file charges.

Hoy said his investigators learned of the case July 1 and spent nearly 30 hours on the case before contacting Bryant. Defense attorneys were notified on July 3 and Bryant returned to Colorado the next day, sheriff's spokeswoman Kim Andree said.

"There wasn't any urgency. We felt we were doing the right thing for everyone involved," Hoy said. "We wanted to give people the time to themselves to adjust" because of the holiday.

Hurlbert said he talked to the woman, who "seems to be doing OK considering the circumstances."

The case against Bryant unfolded as details of two other NBA players' legal troubles were released.

Orlando Magic guard Darrell Armstrong was arrested after being accused of fighting with a female police officer outside a Florida nightclub, and Portland Trail Blazers' Damon Stoudamire was accused of trying to pass through an airport metal detector with marijuana.

Archived