Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More help along the DL?

Bears | Roster Moves Unlikely Before End of Camp - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:10:23 -0700

Mike Mulligan, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports for the Sporting News that the Chicago Bears are unlikely to make any roster moves before the end of their training camp. Rumors persist that the team will release DT Ted Washington and/or DT Keith Traylor.

I dont know if they have quite the talent as Gardener, but it could make for a pretty nice inside rotation and definately keep guys fresh.

Ted Washington has arthritis in both knees and has missed much of the past year and a half due to leg and knee injuries. He is 34.

I wouldn't count on him playing in the NFL at a high level on a consistent basis anymore.

Traylor, 32, has been an erratic player. He has had his moments but now looks to be on the downside as well. He played well in 2001 for the Bears, when everything went right for them. Like Washington, he was limited in 2002 by injuries.

The Skins I think should be looking in another direction for help on the DL if additional help is needed.

In fact, the Skins need to watch for teams that have a couple of rookie DTs vying for final spots on the DL and should try to sign a youngster if one becomes available.

The team tried that at DE with Otis Leverette from Miami back in 2001, but he fizzled. A good attempt based on early scouting reports on him and the overload of talent at DL on the Dolphins at the time.

I think that we should jump on a DT that was being cut. Remember the people that didn't want Gardener? This is basically the same situation. In fact, I would have liked to see us make that trade with New Orleans for Norman Hand. A sixth-ruond pick? I'd rather have hand than Bowen. Yeah he's fat, but Cowsette can always rush the pass, and there are other ways to work around it. Or, if Grady Jackson is cut, why not go after him? He won't have a price that's too high, because he won't command much attention. He did have 5 sacks last year, and can play the run well. Not to mention, he's better than all of our DT's combined.

I agree that this is an excellent thread by Bulldog. It simply covered the bases.

I needed that "in-depth" case on Traylor, since Washington gets so much play from the media.

JoeSkins, that is an excellent alternative to scouting. I can't think of anything additional since you both summed that up "Handidly" ;)

Those 2 guys injuries was why the Bears defense was much worse than it was the year before when thos guys were mostly healthy and the D was great. Washington was a monster when he was with the Bills.

So why not sign one of them to a deal similar to the one we gave Gardener last year. I mean, if they dont pan out then so what its just half a mil. But if they do, then we've got an easy steal. I doubt we'll miss whoever's place they'd be taking too much.

If they get released, I see it as a similar situation to last year where we had little help along the DL and needed some more talent. We're probably a little better off right now than we were this time last year but we can still use some help along the DL. Thats what we've been talking about since before teh draft. Now we have a chance to get some help and yal don't want it?

I have no problem "renting" or getting a temporary fix on the DL. But as Bulldog has explained so well, the question is who. If we can score another Gardner type, well, THAT would obviously be great. I'm not in favor of getting a young development type player. we're gonna do that next year in the draft - presumably. We need to find a serviceable guy that can either take up 2 guys or apply some pressure up the middle for 2 years and concentrate on the DL next off-season.

I'm thinking that of DL will be our achellies (sp?) heal this season. That and Trotter potentially being at 85%, recovering from his knee injury. (Yeah, Yeah Yeah, I know..........evrybody thinks his knee is fine but.........I'll believe it when I see it.)

We have the following guys who are virtual locks for the roster this year:

Wynn, Smith, Upshaw, Zellner, Haley, Wilkinson, Noble.

We also have Jackson to consider -- really, both Bernard and Ladairus, Cowsette and Greg Scott. I think the only extra body we're looking for on the defensive line would be a young guy with some potential who's pretty far down the depth chart. Like Michael Myers would have been. I don't think we're going to look for an aging fill-in of a name unless we decide to cut Wilkinson.

We basically have some unimpressive "no-names" assembled along the D-line. The casual observer could name Bruce, and perhaps Upshaw, and that's it.

Traylor and Washington are names, but they'd do nothing aside from clog up our already mediocre D-line.

We need a freakin' stud. We had that in Gardener, but I think we did the right thing in letting him go. Unless something drastic happens, I'll be pissed if we don't draft a top-tier DE next year.

The only way I would be in favor of signing either of them would be if it was a one-year deal. Otherwise I say stick the the youth movement we have going on right now. Don't ink anybody over 30 to a long contract, period, end of story.

Is this D-line really any worse than the Raiders' last season? Where was their "stud?"

Brandon Noble is practically a clone of John Parrella. Left defensive ends Renaldo Wynn and DeLawrence Grant are extrememly similar players--they even had the same number of sacks. We've seen that Dan Wilkinson is capable of being every bit as effective as Sam Adams can. And Regan Upshaw, well, he should be better than he was last year, given more time to heal from his knee surgery.

Like the Skins this year, last year the Raiders D-line personnel was solid, but had nobody that scared opposing offenses. Yet, the Raiders finished 3rd in the league in rushing defense. They notched 43 sacks. And most importantly, that D-line was good enough to take them to the Super Bowl -- and please don't blame that line for the Super Bowl loss. The blame for that blowout should be squarely placed on the performance of the offense and a coaching staff who never adjusted to what the Bucs were doing. Against the Jets, that line completely rattled Chad Pennington, whom people were starting to compare to Joe Montana because of his poise.

With good coaching, I think the Skins defensive line could produce similar results because they have similar talent, and the Skins have better linebacker and secondary units to pitch in. While I certainly don't see the D-line as a strength, and a consistant pass rush will probably have to be the result of solid scheming, I simply don't see the D-line as a weakness. I've seen lines do well with less talent.

Guru,

While I love optimism and I tend to think our defensive line is deep enough to be better than last year's line in terms of on field performance, I think using the Raiders is not a great measuring stick.

First, the Raiders had an awsome offense. They were in the lead a ton. Teams had to pass. This helped their rush defense and allowed them to just go after the QB more. Also, their No. 2 sack guy was a safety. That's a sign of a defense that is bring pressure. We weren't an aggressive defense last year. Perhaps we will be this year.

I think you're right that our our defensive line is on par with their line especially in terms of having better depth. Parrella though, is much better than Noble. Similar players, you're right, but Parrella is a much better player while being the same type.

I think the Raiders defense was allowed to feed off the offense for the most part. If we can get to that point our line may appear an actual strength as well.

Well, Art, any defense plays better with a lead--a luxury the Redskins seldom had last season. Even in games where we had the lead and lost, such as the first Cowboys game, I believe the offense's ineffectiveness to move the ball and protect a lead may have been more responsible than the defense's play.

While we tend to look at offense, defense, and special teams as separate units, each has an undeniable effect on the others. You hit on the big question--Can the offense move the ball enough and score enough to energize the defense? At times last season, I think the defense simply wore down, both physical and emotionally, because the offense struggled so much.

Comparing the Skins to last year's Raiders might be more of a goal than a measuring stick. Our offense doesn't have to be quite as good as the Raiders' for the Skins' defense to excel, because I believe the Skins are more talented in the back 7.

Optimistic? Maybe. But I think many are overly pessimistic, as well.

Archived